Back Up QB

My name is Bud Ross and I'm Alex Ross' grandfather.

The competition for the QB backup slot at training camp will  be intense.

Here's  a brief introduction  of Alex with some history:

As a freshman at Alpharetta High school, Alpharetta, Ga.,

he led the freshman team to an undefeated season.

Coaching changes at Alpharetta, prompted him to transfer

To Buford High School, Buford, Ga.

Because of transfer rules, he couldn’t play varsity until his junior year.

He led Buford to Georgia State championships his junior and senior years.

He virtually owns the record book at Coastal Carolina University.

He thinks, lives, and breathes football.

Happy to be on board,

Bud Ross

Hi Bud.  Thanks for the rundown.  Right now it would appear that Alex Ross has the inside track on the backup QB job but a lot can change between now and June 14.  I know this coaching staff likes consistency above all else, especially from the QB position.  So Alex is going to have to come in and perform every day. 

After spending a year with the Lions, expectations will be higher than those for a raw rookie.  We need a strong backup and it would be great if Alex could be that guy.  He has a huge opportunity in front of him.

Good Morning Mr. Ross. Can you give us some insight into what his college recruiting process was like? It seems like someone with two state championships under his belt would have drawn quite a bit of interest. What led him to Costal Carolina?

He was recruited by West Virginia, Duke, and Vanderbilt, but really intensely by Coastal Carolina. He visited Coastal (near Myrtle Beach, SC) and that was the clincher.

He graduated Coastal with an MBA in Business.

Here's a bio link:

Whoops!

Try this link:

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alex_ross_758791.html

Bud

Edited by Bud Ross

3 hours ago, Bud Ross said:

My name is Bud Ross and I'm Alex Ross' grandfather.

The competition for the QB backup slot at training camp will  be intense.

Here's  a brief introduction  of Alex with some history:

As a freshman at Alpharetta High school, Alpharetta, Ga.,

he led the freshman team to an undefeated season.

Coaching changes at Alpharetta, prompted him to transfer

To Buford High School, Buford, Ga.

Because of transfer rules, he couldn’t play varsity until his junior year.

He led Buford to Georgia State championships his junior and senior years.

He virtually owns the record book at Coastal Carolina University.

He thinks, lives, and breathes football.

Happy to be on board,

Bud Ross

I like the fact that you are a supportive grandfather. I'm sure your grandson appreciates it.

Welcome to the best organization in the CFL :-)

2 hours ago, Bud Ross said:

He was recruited by West Virginia, Duke, and Vanderbilt, but really intensely by Coastal Carolina. He visited Coastal (near Myrtle Beach, SC) and that was the clincher.

He graduated Coastal with an MBA in Business. Here's a bio link: Whoops!

Try this link:

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alex_ross_758791.html

Bud

Welcome to our occasionally fractious group and we all hope that Alex shows well. That he has an MBA should mean that he has smarts enough to adapt to the CFL with rules that often confuse the heck out of American players who come up here. The wider field, extra player and motion along with the three downs are difficult for some to adapt to.

I figured there must be other Alex Rosses in Manitoba history... with all of the scots that came over with the HBC for the fur trade.

In 1811, while working for John Jacob Astor's Pacific Fur Company, Alexander Ross took part in the founding of Fort Astoria, a fur-trading post at the mouth of the Columbia River. During the same year he led a detachment up the Columbia River and founded Fort Okanogan where during the winter he was the sole PFC employee at the trading post.

Ross subsequently moved to the Red River Colony, present-day Manitoba, where he served as Sheriff, Post master, and a member of the council. His daughter Mary married George Flett on 26 November 1840. Flett was later to become a prominent Presbyterian missionary.[6] Ross published a number of books including the notable[7] The Red River Settlement.[8]

Ross House is a small museum that highlights the life of Alexander Ross and his family. It is located in the Point Douglas area of Winnipeg.

Must be a distant relative. (kidding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Ross_(fur_trader)

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Alex Ross will be the next mvp in this league. When a family member gets really involved in the message board only good things happen. It’s the Khari effect!  

Errrrrrr we will ignore the other few family members who came on since that time....  I'm sure Holland and Marve are doing fine now ....

Edited by Brandon

I was at the Lions at Stamps pre-season game last season in which Alex Ross got to play around 20 minutes, IIRC. He did pretty well and looked more comfortable out there than other Lion QBs. I think it was his play in this game that won him the 3rd string job for the Lions.

The Argos have released QB Jeff Mathews, given that he has a lot more game time experience than Ross, my guess is Mathews will be a Bomber QB very soon.

11 hours ago, DanoT said:

I was at the Lions at Stamps pre-season game last season in which Alex Ross got to play around 20 minutes, IIRC. He did pretty well and looked more comfortable out there than other Lion QBs. I think it was his play in this game that won him the 3rd string job for the Lions.

The Argos have released QB Jeff Mathews, given that he has a lot more game time experience than Ross, my guess is Mathews will be a Bomber QB very soon.

Mathews alot more game time to show he ain't got it.....meh.