Darian Durant Retires

Players get cut all the time before their bonuses are due.

BUT that's before they play the game or deliver their service. They have not put their bodies in harms way or performed for the team. No pay but no work. 

Collecting your bonus, then retiring means you collected for a service you didn't provide. 

Durant was prepaid for a service, like a deposit, and didn't deliver. 

If the team had cut him, I have no problems him keeping the money but that's not what happened. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Players get cut all the time before their bonuses are due.

BUT that's before they play the game or deliver their service. They have not put their bodies in harms way or performed for the team. No pay but no work. 

Collecting your bonus, then retiring means you collected for a service you didn't provide. 

Durant was prepaid for a service, like a deposit, and didn't deliver. 

If the team had cut him, I have no problems him keeping the money but that's not what happened. 

Right. As long as the team holds all the cards, it’s all good. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I think players need better protection and would like to move towards a certain guarantee on each agreement but Durant retired. I think the team should be provided some protection on bonuses over paying a player who retires.  

I don’t think it’s too ridiculous to expect that a signing bonus be returned if a player can’t even be bothered to ever report to the team.

that being said, rules are rules and this will be a major sticking point come next fall when the PA will no doubt not be thrilled with the fallout this caused. Durant may have helped himself but he just effed many others.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t think it’s too ridiculous to expect that a signing bonus be returned if a player can’t even be bothered to ever report to the team.

that being said, rules are rules and this will be a major sticking point come next fall when the PA will no doubt not be thrilled with the fallout this caused. Durant may have helped himself but he just effed many others.

Yeah, I guess I’m thinking more of something like the James Wilder situation. Durant is a lousy reference point. 

The signing bonus is put in to protect players from being brought into training camp as competition or a camp arm only.   It is a commitment from the club to the player that we want you on the team and here is salary up front to prove that.  

Players complaining about being cut prior to being paid a bonus should ask if they prefer no bonus and get cut later in the season with no chance to sign with another team.

The only way around that is guaranteed contracts.

Don't like what Durant did here and don't like how he is handling this on Twitter now.   Really makes me wonder if this wasn't his plan all along.

I doubt very much that this was a "Sorry, but I just changed my mind and I'm going to retire" moment.  To me, this was very clearly an "I'm not playing backup to anyone but I'm going to get something out of this before I walk away" scheme.  Sadly, even though he signed the contract in bad faith, there's really no way of proving it.  I really hope that the league looks at doing something about this, like if they won't go after the player, the very least they can do is return the value of the bonus money amount to the cap.  Unless it happens to the Riders because "f them".

17 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I doubt very much that this was a "Sorry, but I just changed my mind and I'm going to retire" moment.  To me, this was very clearly an "I'm not playing backup to anyone but I'm going to get something out of this before I walk away" scheme.  Sadly, even though he signed the contract in bad faith, there's really no way of proving it.  I really hope that the league looks at doing something about this, like if they won't go after the player, the very least they can do is return the value of the bonus money amount to the cap.  Unless it happens to the Riders because "f them".

it will be interesting to see if Ambrosie has anything to say about this situation.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Durant **** talking the Bombers on Twitter is just compounding the situation and how he will be remembered.  What a disgrace to professional athletes and hard-working people everywhere.

Yeah. I like how Darren is putting it up to him.

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The team is the one taking the financial risk. You can argue a player takes a physical risk, and Id be ok with that. If it wasnt a qb, a second string qb at that, and IF he had actually reported for camp or mini camp. 

In the finance world, if you get a signing bonus and leave before the end of the contract you are expected to return a portion equal to the term left on the deal, some times the whole amount. 

8 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

where?  I don't see it.

personally i dont even wanna see it. Im not a instatwittergram guy any how. But nothing good will come out of seeing a guy act like an ass clown like that. 

On to rookie camp, and training camp. Back to bomber news for me. 

It’s one thing to retire and do it in the fashion he did but to publically denigrate the organization that gave him an opportunity to extend his playing career and, by all accounts, supported him as he mulled over retirement options with his family .. that’s just something else.

What a piece of work.

I’m not one to believe in any ‘sinister plan’ but the way he’s carrying himself right now really does make a person think that he never intended to honor his contract and all he was in this for was the quick pay day.

9 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

It’s one thing to retire and do it in the fashion he did but to publically denigrate the organization that gave him an opportunity to extend his playing career and, by all accounts, supported him as he mulled over retirement options with his family .. that’s just something else.

What a piece of work.

I’m not one to believe in any ‘sinister plan’ but the way he’s carrying himself right now really does make a person think that he never intended to honor his contract and all he was in this for was the quick pay day.

I wonder if anyone tweeted that to the other durant (anytime i see Durant, i think of KD)