Darian Durant Retires

5 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The one good thing coming out of this is Durant will not be a negative influence or slow growing cancer in the locker room this year .... lucky good riddance

He was signed to hold a clipboard. If he even looked at anyone the wrong way, they would have turfed him. The team was pretty tight last year and I expect that to carry forward. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

He was signed to hold a clipboard. If he even looked at anyone the wrong way, they would have turfed him. The team was pretty tight last year and I expect that to carry forward. 

cancer is always a surprise and you don't lighty cut a $300k player

Edited by BigBlue

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

cancer is always a surprise and you don't lighty cut a $300k player

Yes, you do. That's exactly what you do, if he's a back up and causing trouble. 

And, no, it becomes obvious really quickly. The problem is people are willing to put up with the cancer for a period of time, with the hopes that the benefits will outweigh the negatives. Not in a back-up it won't. 

That's why people put up with Carter. 

15 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The one good thing coming out of this is Durant will not be a negative influence or slow growing cancer in the locker room this year .... lucky good riddance

This is pretty much why I was against the signing.  He's not really a guy that puts team before himself.  He's always been a hero when everything is going great and ready to throw someone else under the bus when it wasn't.

His petulant retaliatory behaviour on Twitter the last two days is actually sickening. There's no defending or justifying what he's done. You're done with football...? That's fine. But show some goddamned class and be a ******* man about it. What kind of self-respecting professional athlete bails on the one team who gave you the opportunity to continue your CFL career, greedily keep money you absolutely don't deserve, and then proceed to take childish digs at that very team...?

What a pathetic, disgraceful, *****-made piece of ****.

Edited by blue_gold_84

I assume the guy gives no crap about whatever Legacy he was going to have?

Some players like Burris we all mocked but at least I would assume most people still have an ounce of respect for his play and for how he ended his career....   DD pretty much will be remembered as a dink.

Not certain if it has been referenced in this forum, but Saturday's Free Press had an excellent article on Durant's character, and it was not at all flattering on Durant. He appears to have  fragile ego and is petulant into the bargain. In a related issue, had he actually stayed on with the Bombers, he could well have let the team down at a critical juncture.

Taking the signing bonus and then retiring before even coming to training camp is a classless move for a player.

Cutting a player right before a signing bonus is classless, and doing it after free agency has already started is disgraceful.  Teams still do it on a regular basis.  They would say that they just needed to keep their options open.  Fan bases are savage when their team does what would be called ethical in all other workplaces.  Salary caps force teams to behave this way.  You cannot have competitive balance and a functioning CFL without it. 

One year you see a player play through major injuries because the team indicates that they will remember the dedication when they negotiate the next contract immediately following the season.  His play was negatively impacted because of the injury.  The fanbase calls for the player's head and then the team cuts him or doesn't re-sign him.  Because of the recent film on the player, the rest of the league passes on him and the player retires.

The number of times this happens is crazy, and yet teams do it all the time.  Two wrongs don't make a right, but you understand why ex-players aren't being critical of Durant.

24 minutes ago, MC said:

Taking the signing bonus and then retiring before even coming to training camp is a classless move for a player.

Cutting a player right before a signing bonus is classless, and doing it after free agency has already started is disgraceful.  Teams still do it on a regular basis.  They would say that they just needed to keep their options open.  Fan bases are savage when their team does what would be called ethical in all other workplaces.  Salary caps force teams to behave this way.  You cannot have competitive balance and a functioning CFL without it. 

One year you see a player play through major injuries because the team indicates that they will remember the dedication when they negotiate the next contract immediately following the season.  His play was negatively impacted because of the injury.  The fanbase calls for the player's head and then the team cuts him or doesn't re-sign him.  Because of the recent film on the player, the rest of the league passes on him and the player retires.

The number of times this happens is crazy, and yet teams do it all the time.  Two wrongs don't make a right, but you understand why ex-players aren't being critical of Durant.

Based on last year's performance you can understand why Kavis decided to cut his losses and not continue to pay Durant in the ballpark of $400,000 for his efforts this season.  Why throw good money after bad?

These are different circumstances tho...Teams punting a guy when a post season bonus is due is for the year coming up, so technically nothing has been earned by his play and if a team wants to go in a different direction and use costs elsewhee..then so be it..It is plainly laid out for you in your contract and the chance that you can be released prior to is no hidden trick.

When players choose to structure things this way, then that's the risk they take. From experience in negotiations and knowing how this works, and based on guys I know...the smart guys set up their bonuses in season...post TC...game 6 and after the guarantee day for vets (for vets who meet this criteria) 

I have never heard of a team axing a guy due a in season bonus payment...and if your earning it...why would they??

Durant tho...got a bonus for signing a contract witht he intent to be at camp and part of the team....but opted to say screw it and not show...take the money and run and most likely had no intentions of probably even coming...and now is using the body not responding excuse,,,and I had a kid...blah..blah..blah...join the club putz...so totally different circumstance and just plain pathetic.

If anything hopefully the CFL can rescind the cap hit...the 70k aint gonna hurt the team and if it makes him feel better at night...then good riddance

Cutting a player before a bonus is due has nothing to do with class, it has everything to do with performance. It's a sign that the team doesn't feel the player warrants the investment based on his level of play.  

A player signing a free agent contract with a team and, without ever participating in *any* team activity, cuts bait after receiving his bonus is pretty sleazy. It's unfortunate there's no mechanism in the CBA which protect teams in situations like this.

Pre bonus cutting is just the same as cutting pre-camp...it's just done before the money is due to save costs on a player not in teams plans....and most times it goes right to the day before the bonus is due as teams are trying to move the player elsewhere first....and at times look to them to restructure it prior to the trade, or agree to it as part of the trade...and player refuses...and in the end ends up with nothing...trust me...seen that scenario happen multiple times

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Pre bonus cutting is just the same as cutting pre-camp...it's just done before the money is due to save costs on a player not in teams plans....and most times it goes right to the day before the bonus is due as teams are trying to move the player elsewhere first....and at times look to them to restructure it prior to the trade, or agree to it as part of the trade...and player refuses...and in the end ends up with nothing...trust me...seen that scenario happen multiple times

Yeah most of the time I would think the players aren't caught completely off guard like the Bombers were in this case.  Usually there's rumblings that the team is looking at either moving/cutting a guy before a bonus is due, or like you said the team tries to re-work the deal.

40 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah most of the time I would think the players aren't caught completely off guard like the Bombers were in this case.  Usually there's rumblings that the team is looking at either moving/cutting a guy before a bonus is due, or like you said the team tries to re-work the deal.

There have been some players recently who were released after free agency began - I don't imagine that was expected. 

Durant showed his true colours. Like Booch said, I don't think he ever intended to play, It was a set up to get the $70,000. Now he's mocking the Bombers & fanbase on twitter. I hope he wants to retire a Rider & the Bombers screw him over. What bothers me the most about Durant doing what he did was the fact that it was Kavis Reed who cut him before his $150,000 performance bonus was due. The Bombers never did him wrong. They signed him in good faith & were fully prepared for him to be the backup qb. They weren't going to cut him & they  treated him fairly. Then he knifes the team in the back. Why? He's just a snake. 

Durant is a ******-bag. Its pretty obvious.. Not so much that he retired, thats up to him. But keeping 70k and mocking the fanbase is ****** up. 

My only hope is that the bomber keep his rights and are willing to give them up for say 70k till the season begins and then increase the fee each month going forward. :)