Darian Durant Retires

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Every time I see a post from @TheSource coming up, I think, this should be good for a laugh... and he never fails to disappoint... Thanks for always adding some levity to the conversation...

yes, they are entertaining.  An asteroid could hit IGF and destroy it, and somehow the Source would say it was Walters' fault for not getting in a CF-18 and blowing it out of the sky.  It never fails.

30 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Not trolling. I just don't like Walters approach. I do like many other things about the team though.

You don't like what you perceive as Walters approach. Because at the end of the day, no matter how many words you type. You have zero clue as to what went on. But please, write another novel with no real sources or critical thinking involved.

Edited by Bigblue204

What a piece of ****. His signing now seems like nothing more than a scam to milk the Bombers out of 70K. How much you want to bet this piece of garbage gets hired by the Riders in the not too distant future with our 70K in his pocket. Take the f***** to court. Retiring is one thing but keeping the money is borderline robbery. Once Rider trash, always Rider trash.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Aren't signing bonus' just that....a bonus for signing the contract. It doesn't matter how much he played etc...the bonus was simply for signing...hence the name.

It would depend on the contract, but I'd think the idea is that the money is payed for signing AND honoring the contract.  I'd imagine it would be different if between signing the contract and now there was some sort of unforeseen circumstance that made him have to rethink his future, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of that.  I'm hoping that the Bombers do pursue this is court and force him to give up that money one way or another, either to the Bombers or to his lawyer.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Bombers should take whatever steps necessary to get that signing bonus back. League should be on their side. 

After this happened to the Riders a couple years ago, twice, the league recommended that all teams change the phraseology (is that a word) in their contracts from signing bonus to up front payment so that money could be recouped in this event through legal channels. The Riders were able to recoup Campbell's signing bonus but were left high and dry on Price's. Pederson did an article about sometime last year.

Edited by gcn11

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

After this happened to the Riders a couple years ago, twice, the league recommended that all teams change the phraseology (is that a word) in their contracts from signing bonus to up front payment so that money could be recouped in this event through legal channels. The Riders were able to recoup Campbell's signing bonus but were left high and dry on Price's. Pederson did an article about sometime last year.

Well let’s hope the Bombers worded their deal appropriately. 

He was paid a bonus for agreeing to play this year. He effectively changed his mind about signing and thus should return the bonus.  

52 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Aren't signing bonus' just that....a bonus for signing the contract. It doesn't matter how much he played etc...the bonus was simply for signing...hence the name.

Depending on the contract's terms there's also things that are taken into account like signing in bad faith. The action (edit: or lack thereof) of not informing the Bombers that he was retiring could be a very real argument if the Bombers were to take him to court.

Edited by None

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt... you never know what might come up unexpectedly in someone's personal life that would affect this decision (maybe an unexpected family illness, etc)... but to not even inform the team is certainly suspect...

Same boat. It sounds like he's been offered a long-term job outside of FB. Hope he returns the signing bonus.

As for the social media thing, usually its the other way around that a player finds out through social media he's been cut/traded so...

1 hour ago, TheSource said:

Not trolling. I just don't like Walters approach. I do like many other things about the team though.

Yeah **** move by Walters to basically tweet Hes retiring to the team. Oh wait thats what Durant pretty much did. Trolling for sure cuz no way in hell is this on Walters. 

Edited by Goalie