Training Camp 2018

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What makes you think that a rookie QB can 'simply avoid turnovers' or that it 'shouldn't be hard'?

I'm sure everyone would be more comfortable if DoubleDoosh hadn't retired or even if we'd kept Davis around, but that's not what happened.

I'm way more comfortable with the QBs we have than if we had DD.  He was total crap in Montreal, and was quite disappointed when I heard we had signed him.

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

I'm way more comfortable with the QBs we have than if we had DD.  He was total crap in Montreal, and was quite disappointed when I heard we had signed him.

I was annoyed that we signed him too (Had several "You're so negative" arguments about it), but I'd rather have a 'Hasn't been good in 3 years' over a 'complete unknown'.

I honestly can't recall the last time a D decisively shut down a half decent O, gave up less than 20 pts. and won the game on their own merit, those memories seem to be from a different era when teams relied more heavily on the running attack.  The only recent examples I can think of is when a team is handicapped by inexperienced or pathetic QB play and spends the majority of the game going 2 and out and giving the ball away consistently, do those really count as staunch D victories?  I'd like to see a D dominate a game to the point of winning it, but I won't believe it's a viable possibility until I do.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Well it kinda is based on negativity, considering we really don't know how good any of those five teams will be this year, and we don't have a clue what we have at QB.  You're assuming BC will be good... why?

Well.. I don't think it is. Not to Speak for him , but looking at last Year, CGY, EDM,TOR, Were really strong teams at the end of the season.  Without major changes to the QB stable, Offence or Defence, its logical to assume that these teams will be similar or stronger then last year. 

Our team looks stronger on Offence and Bighill resolves a gapping issue we have had for a few seasons at MLB.   But Starting games with inexperienced QBs in winnipeg has not gone well in Decades.  DECADES.  so it logical to assume that the new rookie QBS with 3 games between them are going to be hardpressed to be productive.  

This doesn't mean i wouldn't love to see us win most of these games or for Ross or Shrevler to light it up and do enough to win us games.  But so far, based on the plethora of Young QBs that have graced the field in the last 20 years and failed horribly i'm not getting my hopes up.

Still going to enjoy the games.  Just setting expectations incredibly low.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I would think it's pretty clear that if Ross struggles and cannot move the ball and Streveler comes in continuing to move the chains like he did last game that he would start the 1st week. 

I hope this is the Case, but  we have see the coaching staff Leave Nichols in when the game is over and we are up by a sizable margin.  We Left drew willy in for 5 games to give him a chance vs pulling him after a ruff start for Nichols. 

Edited by Adrenaline_x

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Well.. I don't think it is. Not to Speak for him , but looking at last Year, CGY, EDM,TOR, Were really strong teams at the end of the season.  Without major changes to the QB stable, Offence or Defence, its logical to assume that these teams will be similar or stronger then last year. 

Our team looks stronger on Offence and Bighill resolves a gapping issue we have had for a few seasons at MLB.   But Starting games with inexperienced QBs in winnipeg has not gone well in Decades.  DECADES.  so it logical to assume that the new rookie QBS with 3 games between them are going to be hardpressed to be productive.  

This doesn't mean i wouldn't love to see us win most of these games or for Ross or Shrevler to light it up and do enough to win us games.  But so far, based on the plethora of Young QBs that have graced the field in the last 20 years and failed horribly i'm not getting my hopes up.

Still going to enjoy the games.  Just setting expectations incredibly low.

Yes EDM and TOR were very good.  Those will be a tough test.  We don't play CGY in the first 6 weeks.  BC twice, MTL and HAM?  Even with a backup QB in, those four games are all very winnable.

32 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I honestly can't recall the last time a D decisively shut down a half decent O, gave up less than 20 pts. and won the game on their own merit, those memories seem to be from a different era when teams relied more heavily on the running attack.  The only recent examples I can think of is when a team is handicapped by inexperienced or pathetic QB play and spends the majority of the game going 2 and out and giving the ball away consistently, do those really count as staunch D victories?  I'd like to see a D dominate a game to the point of winning it, but I won't believe it's a viable possibility until I do.

Basically describes the rain game against Ottawa last year...

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What makes you think that a rookie QB can 'simply avoid turnovers' or that it 'shouldn't be hard'?

I'm sure everyone would be more comfortable if DoubleDoosh hadn't retired or even if we'd kept Davis around, but that's not what happened.

Because that's been Lapos MO with this offense the entire time, not to mention that we now have some receivers who can go up and win some one on one battles, that gives qbs some hope too. 

I just think it's ridiculous to write things off at this point. The entire team looks very solid except for the qbs behind Nichols who are unproven. If a rookie can't manage the game with this team then this team isn't as good as we think it is. 

We'll find out tonight if Alex Ross still tries to force plays - if he can make it through tonight - with this lineup - and no interceptions, that would be a big step forward...

I wonder if Ekakitie for Adams straight up is in the works...  seems reasonable especially if Bombers have paid 1/3 of his salary

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Because that's been Lapos MO with this offense the entire time, not to mention that we now have some receivers who can go up and win some one on one battles, that gives qbs some hope too. 

I just think it's ridiculous to write things off at this point. The entire team looks very solid except for the qbs behind Nichols who are unproven. If a rookie can't manage the game with this team then this team isn't as good as we think it is. 

Part of our past young QB problems was the O line problems we had. Our O line is waaay better than those days. Our receiving situation was worse then too I think. BC has been sliding for a bit and everyone here knows there is a real linebacker rather than just a hurl yourself at the pile and hope for the best guy. I really believe Loffler will be freed up to be a real safety instead of a back of a zone linebacker. I don't anticipate taking EDM and Tor but the others are doable.  The Bombers won a lot of games in the past with pretty iffy QB's. It is not impossible to break even on the no Matt part of the schedule. 

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We'll find out tonight if Alex Ross still tries to force plays - if he can make it through tonight - with this lineup - and no interceptions, that would be a big step forward...

I wonder if Ekakitie for Adams straight up is in the works...  seems reasonable especially if Bombers have paid 1/3 of his salary

I would just wait a week and sign Adams when they cut him.

I believe Lapo can write a simple playbook for our new Qbs .... lots of hitches ,screens and quick timing passes with the odd long ball to keep the D from creeping up ,,,, an emphasis on the running game with a lot of counters, reverses and misdirection plays but also plenty of power blocking straight at you stuff... I think we can hold our own this way

"Sigh" people around here have a very short memory ....yea maybe these rookies can hold the fort till Nichols comes back but even with a much better team you dont win in the CFL without at least average QBing. We are expecting way too much to go 4-2 or 6- 4, even Doug Flutie in his first year in the CFL had a 71.0 Qb rating......

34 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I believe Lapo can write a simple playbook for our new Qbs .... lots of hitches ,screens and quick timing passes with the odd long ball to keep the D from creeping up ,,,, an emphasis on the running game with a lot of counters, reverses and misdirection plays but also plenty of power blocking straight at you stuff... I think we can hold our own this way

do you believe that because that's what he does for every single qb he has? That is the entire Lapo playbook, like his entire career that's what he's gone for. 

47 minutes ago, bb1 said:

"Sigh" people around here have a very short memory ....yea maybe these rookies can hold the fort till Nichols comes back but even with a much better team you dont win in the CFL without at least average QBing. We are expecting way too much to go 4-2 or 6- 4, even Doug Flutie in his first year in the CFL had a 71.0 Qb rating......

I don't agree. There is no one out there that we could pick up that would be able to suit up for game one and step in. With the only 6 days until our season starts and the short-er nature of Nichols injury, I think we should stay the course. 

50 minutes ago, bb1 said:

the game is not very comparable to 28 years ago. QBs dont get records like pitchers in baseball. Weve seen average level qbs win grey cups and great qbs have terrible records/seasons. Weve seen guys like jennings and printers do well in their first starts, ricky ray, etc. ( jennings 2004 yards, 15 tds 10 ints in 8 games, ray 2991 24tds 9ints17 games player, printers 5088 yards, 35 tds-10 ints, 469 rushing 9 rushing tds.)

We arent in a position where a rookie qb needs to go in an dominate, if they manage the clock and limit turn overs we can easily go 2 games over .500 through a weak stretch of our schedule.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't agree. There is no one out there that we could pick up that would be able to suit up for game one and step in. With the only 6 days until our season starts and the short-er nature of Nichols injury, I think we should stay the course. 

Yeah we would have to heavily limit the play book. 

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

without Nichols i'd be happy with 2-4 or 3-3