Training Camp 2018

7 hours ago, Booch said:

i assume too he will see more snaps...he very quick off the edge and we used him in sets where he was inside too...he looked a bit bigger yesterday too...and just as fast and didn't seem rusty at all for missing most of camp so far

How the f*** does that guy get bigger!? Seeing that guy up close at fan appreciation last year- that guy is a monster!

9 minutes ago, itchy said:

How the f*** does that guy get bigger!? Seeing that guy up close at fan appreciation last year- that guy is a monster!

He came into camp last year at like 267 and this year at 262. And that guy is shredded. So if he has gained bulk and gotten lighter man look out. He is the most physically gifted and athletic big NI ive seen. If he puts it together the NFL will come calling in a hurry.  

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He came into camp last year at like 267 and this year at 262. And that guy is shredded. So if he has gained bulk and gotten lighter man look out. He is the most physically gifted and athletic big NI ive seen. If he puts it together the NFL will come calling in a hurry.  

high praise.

Edited by Mark F

Has anyone doubted him?  Does Flanders have a chance of making this team?  I am thinking the possibilities are remote, just because of his passport.  With Augustine and LaFrance around, we have good Canadian depth at RB now.  Not sure there is room for an import RB.  But maybe I'm wrong.

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Has anyone doubted him?  Does Flanders have a chance of making this team?  I am thinking the possibilities are remote, just because of his passport.  With Augustine and LaFrance around, we have good Canadian depth at RB now.  Not sure there is room for an import RB.  But maybe I'm wrong.

I still think there is room for him here but he may not be on the game one roster.  Who starts if Harris goes down long term?  Not LaFrance or Augustine.

50 minutes ago, tracker said:

Not for long, I'm sure.

Yeah i dont see us carrying 5 into the last pre season game. I expect nichols will play a half of that game. streveler warrants some more reps but maybe just a couple drives at this point. I think either mahoney is gonna be cut with out taking a snap, or bennett might make the team with out taking one. 

Some thing ive thought about in the past, what about splitting some starters into team two. Like send nichols out with team two to get a better idea of what the depth wrs can do and give him a chance to work more with them. See if a chemistry develops. Harris, dressler couple other guys dont need starters reps and let a few of the guys who are pushing for a starting role, maybe white, cooper, casher, gause/jones. 

For nichols I think our second string OL will no doubt out play second string DL more then our first string OL played last game. 

50 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I still think there is room for him here but he may not be on the game one roster.  Who starts if Harris goes down long term?  Not LaFrance or Augustine.

That's kind of the way it looks if everyone stays healthy.  Demski is basically in the spot Flanders finished last season in.  With either LaFrance or Augustine or both plus Demski we're pretty solid for backups on the game roster.  The way the NI receivers are going there's lots of options.  I'm hoping we're able to keep all of the rookies (Simonise, Wolitarsky, Petermann) for awhile.  Petermann especially looked like a killer on special teams.  I'd be scared to put any of them on the practice roster.

Flanders might prefer to see if he can catch on somewhere else in that scenario.  He'd have to agree to go on 1 game injured if he's not injured, same with practice roster.  Could see Calgary being interested, plus there's always teams with injuries. 

57 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I don’t see any reason to even play Nichols. A lot of decisions have to be made in other areas and you can only bring so many players to evaluate. Nichols can be there to advise and chart, but I doubt MOS sees it the same way. 

Play Nichols behind the 2nd string OL? Not a good idea.

I agree. Especially since our week one opponent is Edmonton. Reilly literally attempting 6 passes and then has 2 weeks off before the season. We might as well let Nichols shake off the rust in the regular season just like our week 1 opponent.

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah i dont see us carrying 5 into the last pre season game. I expect nichols will play a half of that game. streveler warrants some more reps but maybe just a couple drives at this point. I think either mahoney is gonna be cut with out taking a snap, or bennett might make the team with out taking one. 

Some thing ive thought about in the past, what about splitting some starters into team two. Like send nichols out with team two to get a better idea of what the depth wrs can do and give him a chance to work more with them. See if a chemistry develops. Harris, dressler couple other guys dont need starters reps and let a few of the guys who are pushing for a starting role, maybe white, cooper, casher, gause/jones. 

For nichols I think our second string OL will no doubt out play second string DL more then our first string OL played last game. 

Hell, I'd cut the QB's to 3 as they did last year, save some bucks and cut the dead weight now, use the P.R. spots for players who realistically have a chance to progress and contribute in the future, not wasted on pretend stories. 

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

It works to carry 4 NI receivers on our roster I believe. I think you almost have to because Simonise or Peterman would get scooped up off the PR imo. Peterman is supposed to be a ST ace and can play receiver so he has more value than say Rush does he not?

Ya but they don't necessarily play the same spot on kick coverage.  More likely knock a Conteh, Renaud or Morgan off the roster.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hell, I'd cut the QB's to 3 as they did last year, save some bucks and cut the dead weight now, use the P.R. spots for players who realistically have a chance to progress and contribute in the future, not wasted on pretend stories. 

Itd depend for me on the direction practice will take. You dont want to over work the qb 1 and 2 arms if its still a lot of trying out and chances for new guys. We could on the other hand take the approach of getting rid of guys who are too far behind in their position race, and focus on building chemistry and developing a great grasp on small details for guys who will probably play for us at some point this year. 

I feel like mahoney is dead in the water here. And that ross is behind the curve. Mos puts a great deal of emphasis and value on what you do in pre season over TC. Ross has had a good camp but games arent played with red shirts and minimal contact. 

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ya but they don't necessarily play the same spot on kick coverage.  More likely knock a Conteh, Renaud or Morgan off the roster.

Pretty much. I like morgan i hope he sticks. 

To start the year I think one of TPB pierre and henry sit on the pr / IR. The last spots on the roster DI and imp are gonna be really hard calls. 

58 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think Nichols plays one series at least and then the others get some reps.  They already have seen Bennett so it's possible that Ross and Future-Brady get half the reps.

Based on the Mike O'Shea interview from today on the official site it sounded like Bennett was going to get into the game this week to show what he's got. Ross really needs to perform in however many reps he gets in this game. To me there's only one open job left on the depth chart and will go to either Ross or Bennett. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

To me there's only one open job left on the depth chart and will go to either Ross or Bennett. 

Agreed. And it looks like it's 3rd string.

Not sure if they want to keep Bennett around as a 3rd stringer, but if Ross doesn't show some promise then what else do they do?

31 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Agreed. And it looks like it's 3rd string.

Not sure if they want to keep Bennett around as a 3rd stringer, but if Ross doesn't show some promise then what else do they do?

I think thats pretty much why he was brought back. He could easily and smoothly slot in as qb 2 or 3 with minimal time and reps. Low risk high reward insurance policy. If they didnt want him as a third stringer, I dont think theyd a brought him into camp soo late when we had 4 qbs. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think Nichols plays one series at least and then the others get some reps.  They already have seen Bennett so it's possible that Ross and Future-Brady get half the reps.

In the past weve had our starter play large amounts of time. But maybe they will shy away from that like last weeks game.

If nichols and the O rolled for tds over the first few series Id park him early. Or if he was getting rocked. Other wise id give him the first quarter, and the first drive or two of the second half. Id give bennett the second quarter, the second coming of 17 what ever was left of the 3rd after nichols. Then Id give ross the 4th, but with a short leash. If he played poorly Id give bennett/streveler extra reps based on who needed it.