Training Camp 2018

11 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Ross was here last year. I think you need to bring in someone else now that Durant has bailed.

The options are pretty limited.  Is a Mitchell Gale or Jeff Mathews really going to give us more than we could get from Ross or Streveler?  Hard to say.  I understand the value of a veteran backup but if the veteran is a known loser, I'd rather take a shot on someone unproven who may have some upside.  We had Davis and LeFevour last year, both had experience, but it didn't help us.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The options are pretty limited.  Is a Mitchell Gale or Jeff Mathews really going to give us more than we could get from Ross or Streveler?  Hard to say.  I understand the value of a veteran backup but if the veteran is a known loser, I'd rather take a shot on someone unproven who may have some upside.  We had Davis and LeFevour last year, both had experience, but it didn't help us.

Still, if Nichols goes down (I think he's a top notch QB in this league by the way...others may not ) your season is in the balance. I'd go after somebody. But just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Still, if Nichols goes down (I think he's a top notch QB in this league by the way...others may not ) your season is in the balance. I'd go after somebody. But just my opinion.

Who though?  I understand the idea, but if there is no one available... it's just talk.

54 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, if they bring in someone, the only explanation can be that they're not happy with the ones they already have?

I don’t nessisarily think that’s true.  I always thought it was weird that they were just handing jobs to Ross and Streveler. I hope Bennet replaces Mahoney and we keep 4 qbs around long term and develop these guys. With the limited experience behind Nichols I like having another guy around who could potentially be a 2nd string option this season. 

16 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Vernon Adams Jr.  No way Manziel doesn't make the Cats as #2. He will be available

Possibly.  He's not exactly proven... IMO just another prospect, albeit one with a little more experience.  I wouldn't mind getting him here but wouldn't give up much for him.

Just now, Atomic said:

Possibly.  He's not exactly proven... IMO just another prospect, albeit one with a little more experience.  I wouldn't mind getting him here but wouldn't give up much for him.

He is a lot more proven than the other 2 you have. He will be free when he is released. 

If Nichols goes down with a significant injury..if I was Walter's I use one of next yrs first rounders and a prospect of needed and trade for Ray...he is vet enough and savvy that he could come in and pick up our offence pretty quick.. 

36 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

He is a lot more proven than the other 2 you have. He will be free when he is released. 

Proven that he can't be an effective starter. I understand that people want to see experience, but just because a guy has been around the CFL doesn't mean he's good enough. If Nichols goes down for any length of time then yeah, it's trouble, but that would be the case if they had Vernon Adams too. It's why I liked the signing of Durant, but he's a dickhead so here we are. I'll hope one of the newbies can show some promise and then I'll pray for Nichols. 

35 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

I mean.. not really.  He has thrown what... 50 passes?  To me that means very little.  You don't really know a guy until he has started 4 or 5 games in a row.

However, if he was released (which I doubt, there is room for both Manziel and Adams) I'd hope we would at least look into it.

1 hour ago, lyin' guy said:

Ross was here last year. I think you need to bring in someone else now that Durant has bailed.

I mentioned on RF that Ross was a Rigmaiden recruit while he was a scout for BC and now is our US college scout. Pretty good indication why Ross is here and will likely be given a solid chance to prove more than he did with the Lions who weren't exactly lighting it up with Jennings either last year

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I mean.. not really.  He has thrown what... 50 passes?  To me that means very little.  You don't really know a guy until he has started 4 or 5 games in a row.

However, if he was released (which I doubt, there is room for both Manziel and Adams) I'd hope we would at least look into it.

Was just a thought.  Wouldn't mind playing against Ross or the other fellow so carry on!!  

Saw what a beautiful day it was going to be and took a vacation day.  Took in Bomber training camp this morning.  Bringing a 2 year old (some might have seen him wanting to get onto the football field) and a 3 week old there, I wasn't able to watch a ton...and let's be honest, we're all there to watch the 1 on 1s.

You can definitely see the polish and level that the new guys (Thompkins and Reuben) bring to camp.  Guys like Coney and Dye, who may have been the front runners to try to get a spot on the roster (or at least be the "next guy up") didn't impress me too much, and I couldn't see them being there in the end.

That said, Myles White is the real deal. Looked uncoverable in the one on ones.  He might not have been drawing Randle in coverage, but he was making the guy he was lining up against look silly pretty routinely.  Was also lining up to return kicks.  He's my pick to make the team.

Canadian receivers: Daniel Petermann. What can you say.  He is looking like a training camp superstar.  Demski wasn't taking too many reps this practice and Petermann made play after play after play.  Couple deep balls, some catches in the middle.  Super excited about him.  Simonise looked real good and even Henry is looking much better this year.  Don't know how many reps Wolitarsky had.  Pierre was helping with the receivers (off crutches I guess) along with Corey Washington (imp).

Overall the receivers are looking darn good.

After the receivers, the player that really stood out to me in special teams drills was Jacob Firlotte.  He was getting down the field pretty quick and has an intriguing size to him.  Dark horse?

Quarterbacks...I think they all had their moments.  In Skele I think you'd give the edge to Ross for processing the field much quicker than Streveler.  Not unexpected.  Streveler made some nice throws as well.

Mention to Faith Ekakite who took the time to walk over to my 2 year old and give him a fist bump.  By the end of practice, my little guy was way overtired but I think he had fun.

Myles White sounds like he's the real deal, the Bombers brought him in prior to game #17 last season in early Oct.  If they could have tested and evaluated him effectively in that time-frame perhaps they would not have gone out and signed Bowman earlier this spring for what $150,000?  Not saying Bowman was not a great pickup but taking on his larger salary may not have been entirely necessary if they just trusted they're process a little more and had faith in the birds they already have in hand....just seems odd to me.

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Myles White sounds like he's the real deal, the Bombers brought him in prior to game #17 last season in early Oct.  If they could have tested and evaluated him effectively in that time-frame perhaps they would not have gone out and signed Bowman earlier this spring for what $150,000?  Not saying Bowman was not a great pickup but taking on his larger salary may not have been entirely necessary if they just trusted they're process a little more and had faith in the birds they already have in hand....just seems odd to me.

Depth is good!  I seem to recall having both Adams and Dressler out at the same time last year and our receiving corps was basically a joke.  Now, hopefully, we can withstand that a little better.

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

After the receivers, the player that really stood out to me in special teams drills was Jacob Firlotte.  He was getting down the field pretty quick and has an intriguing size to him.  Dark horse?

I believe when he was drafted he was considered to be a "Taylor Loffler-type" player... they probably hope he makes the game day roster as a special teamer and Loffler back up...