Round 2 - Game 4: Predators @ Jets

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Jets look flat. No energy. Nash playing boring heavy D.. Have taken the crowd out of it completely. 

Not sure theres a comeback tonight.. They just look off. 

That point is also interesting as I was watching Jon Cooper's post game interview for the Lightning the other night make the point of how difficult it is for his players to get themselves up for each game of the playoffs. Intuitively I thought this would be the opposite where this high and getting energized would naturally happen but when I think about it that point makes sense and maybe (some of) the Jet players weren't ready to play last night.   

25 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah this one is totally on the fourth line... if only Roslo was in for Hendricks we would have blown them out.

What a stupid ******* opinion.

From top to bottom the Jets didn't have the energy needed to win, true enough.  But maybe if the 3rd line was Ros/Little/Armia and the Lowry line was the 4th line the Jets could have actually played all four lines consistently and wore down Nashville as the game went on.  Instead the Lowry line got 3rd line minutes and looked pretty worn down as the game went on, and the 4th line barely played 7 minutes.  If Hendricks only plays 6 minutes and does nothing offensively and can't keep up to begin with then what's the point?  If Nashville continues with this D first system we need speed and hard forechecking.  And a full four line effort.  Like what Nashville does.  Put your best lineup in every night.  And that means Roslo over Hendricks. 

20 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Preds are scratching Fiala and putting in Hartnell. I'm a fan of this move. Hartnell's not very good anymore.

If only the Jets had taken advantage last night. Instead, they were flat, dull, and lacked any urgency whatsoever. A really uncharacteristic game, IMO.

Rinne was dialed in, too.

10 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

From top to bottom the Jets didn't have the energy needed to win, true enough.  But maybe if the 3rd line was Ros/Little/Armia and the Lowry line was the 4th line the Jets could have actually played all four lines consistently and wore down Nashville as the game went on.  Instead the Lowry line got 3rd line minutes and looked pretty worn down as the game went on, and the 4th line barely played 7 minutes.  If Hendricks only plays 6 minutes and does nothing offensively and can't keep up to begin with then what's the point?  If Nashville continues with this D first system we need speed and hard forechecking.  And a full four line effort.  Like what Nashville does.  Put your best lineup in every night.  And that means Roslo over Hendricks. 

Yup. No one said the jets would light them up with Roslo over Hendricks. Probably 99% of people here understand. ;)

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Lose 2-1 to the best team in the league and its somehow a total failure on Maurice and the leadership?  I swear some people just can't process logical thoughts.

They were a little off last night.  It happens.  They weren't going ro go 16-0 on the way to the cup.

Actually it's very logical.  Three players, two spots, Armia>Roslovic>Hendricks.  Put your best team on the ice.  Would it have won the game for us if Roslovic had played instead of Hendricks?  Can't say either way but it's the playoffs where game changes can happen on the smallest of circumstances.  Nashville played Hartnell instead of Fiala, sacrificing scoring and speed for umm grit I guess?  Didn't matter really since Nashville went all trap D in the 2nd period onwards but Hartnell probably is better playing that game than Fiala is.  And swapping Emelin for Weber meant their third pairing D was more effective in moving the puck out of their zone.  Little things that helped Nashville in the game.

Maybe a Roslo/Little/Armia line would have done sweet FA in the game.  Or maybe not.  I'll stick my neck out and say they would have been better than Copp/Hendo/Armia was.  Would have also benefited a Lowry/Tanev/Copp 4th line that could have played 10-12 solid minutes.  So I won't call it a "total failure" by Maurice in his lineup choice but I will call it a gamble (based on last game's success) that didn't pay off since we really could have used Roslovic's speed and offensive skills over Hendricks and his umm grit and locker room presence.  Oh well once Perreault is back this should take care of our lineup nicely.

It's now a best of 3 series.  We are by no means done and I think we can get it done.  But it would have been nice to be up 3-1.  I don't think Nashville could have overcome that. 

Based on the way the Predators shut it down all 90s Devils style after the Hartman goal (which itself epitomized the Jets' game last night, IMO), I'm not even remotely convinced a single player change to the line-up would've made a difference. The Jets were simply off last night, didn't rise to the occasion, and lost a tight game.

From what I've seen, the jets have been a little off, for a few games. Off as in a bit tired.

No longer first to the puck in the other end or their own end. Also, not winning fights for the puck as often.

Maybe the whole team is a little low on gas, cause the effort to play that way is very high.

Why does Paul Wiecek write about hockey?

I just read his latest article on this past game and, I've said this before, it seems he writes like he thinks he is being clever and yes some of his points are valid, but I sure do not enjoy his writing style. There's writing realistic and there's writing like a Debbie or Dougie Downer. I find him the latter.

My opinion and that's all this is. 

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Why does Paul Wiecek write about hockey anything?

I just read his latest article on this past game and, I've said this before, it seems he writes like he thinks he is being clever and yes some of his points are valid, but I sure do not enjoy his writing style. There's writing realistic and there's writing like a Debbie or Dougie Downer. I find him the latter.

Oh, you're spot on. He's a bitter old sack of ****.

How he maintains employment is truly mystifying.

Edited by blue_gold_84
fixed edited post.

On 2018-05-04 at 3:32 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

Why does Paul Wiecek write about hockey?

Murat..from the Athletic is the only media member here who asks logical questions. Only guy worth reading IMO. 

I dont think playing Hendricks over Perreault or Roslo played much of a role in the game, however, bottom line.. You play your best players.. We dont have a week to wait for them to be 100 percent.. 75 percent Perreault and 100 percent Roslo or even Dano is better than Hendricks tho. 

Do they make a difference? Perreault might have.. But cant say for sure... 

But bottom line.. Playing Hendricks when you dont have 2.. Dumb. 

Most guys are likely not 100 percent healthy anyways.. So if a Perreault is close enough.. You play him because a 75 80 percent healthy Perreault is better than Hendricks. 

Hendricks is an anchor.. There are legit stats out there.. A damning one..

Oh but he PKs.. Our PK is worse when he plays.. Why? Cuz hes too slow. Its just crazy... Regardless he wont be playing tonight

Great leader.. Great guy... Awesome in the community... Below average NHL player tho. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Goalie