Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Logan007

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Mind...blown.  Cliffhanger ending.  Great movie.

That's all I can say for now until my brain can process this.

OMG. That was incredible. So good. That was Thanos' movie. I'm seeing it again tomorrow night.

The characters they killed. :o (Like really, legit killed, not to come back in the next movie or in their own)

The ability to get so much narrative and story into a movie packed with action. Incredible. 

I have no glaring issues with the movie. 

On 2018-04-27 at 4:54 PM, JCon said:

OMG. That was incredible. So good. That was Thanos' movie. I'm seeing it again tomorrow night.

The characters they killed. :o (Like really, legit killed, not to come back in the next movie or in their own)

The ability to get so much narrative and story into a movie packed with action. Incredible. 

Yeah, that first 5 minutes was like....wtf did I just watch?!?!

But yeah, that was totally Thanos' movie.  I saw it twice over the weekend.

Clarification needed (and I saw the movie twice over the weekend) - AND THIS WILL EXPLICITLY DISCUSS A PLOT POINT, SO DON"T CONTINUE READING IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED********YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:

The Infinity gaunlet looks fried on Thanos' hand after, you know....., but with the stones intact. He then teleports (or transports, or bifrosts. or whatever you call it) to another part of the universe. The first time I thought he left the now destroyed gauntlet behind, the second time not so sure, was looking for it on his hand, did not see clearly, but no evidence it was still on earth. So 2 questions - 1) Was it destroyed (thinking no if he was able to transport, unless he could do that without the gauntlet anyway), and more importantly 2) Did it go with him or is it still on earth after Thanos left it behind (if it was broken, no need to take it in his mind). It is key to know this for the next movie, if my plot prediction (discussed below) is correct. 

Overall, I liked it. Quite the gut punch at the end for sure, but I am not as stunned as others were. Maybe too jaded by the knowledge that comic books never really kill their characters for good, and the easy out this storyline can take (also knowing how the comic book series did so) which I will elaborate on below.

It seems clear *****AGAIN DISCUSSING KEY PLOT POINT, TURN AWAY NOW OR READ AT YOUR PERIL******* I WILL BE VERY DETAILED HERE, SO READING MORE WILL DEFINITELY SPOIL THINGS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, I CAN"T GIVE ANY BETTER WARNING THAN THAT************STOP NOW, OR WITHHOLD ALL WHINING THAT I RUINED IT FOR YOU*******: that Dr. Strange, having seen all possible outcomes and knowing that this outcome was the only way to win, was always prepared to give up the time stone rather than destroy it (neither option is really protecting it, which was his duty, unless of course he knew he could get it back later, and had to get it up short term to ultimately protect it long-term), was always prepared to let Quill intervene to ruin things when they had the chance to take the gauntlet off, and must have known that Thanos would use the time stone to alter the future to re-collect the mind stone when it seemed lost. So he saw the ultimate outcome of the conclusion of this movie, saying it was the only way. But that is not winning, obviously (at least short-term). Also, one has to wonder if it is possible for him to see into the future beyond his own death? I would think not, so he must know he can be resurrected, and therefore I'm not really worried about who died, it's likely all temporary (as proved possible already by Thanos in getting back the mind stone). It begs the question, since the time stone could have been destroyed beforehand to prevent the reversal of time and the re-creation of the mind stone, and Strange did not choose that option, then does he know that Thanos can actually never be beaten, and that he would have continued on his quest to wipe out half the universe until he succeeded, so the only way to "win" was to let Thanos think he succeeded, and then reverse time quietly while Thanos sits alone in his corner of the universe satisfied that he has restored balance, rather than killing Thanos or destroying the stones? Hence my original question about the state of the gauntlet (since the forge is operational and has a mould of it already, and Thor has a bifrost axe to transport him back there). If Thanos still has it and the stones, that makes things a bit more tricky than if it was left on Earth, but the ultimate solution of re-build and reverse time seems obvious for the second movie to have that happy ending. Plus, from Marvel's marketing and distribution standpoint, after clearing $1.3 billion on Black Panther, and having all the original actors' (Downey, Hemsworth and Evans I believe)contracts expiring, the choice of who lived and who died seems entirely opposite to what the studio would need on a go-forward basis to keep milking this cash cow into Phase 4. Who wants to bet that Avengers 4 is titled Infinity Wars: Resurrection (especially since the studio hid the name of Avengers 4 prior to release of this movie because it itself was a spoiler)?

Any thoughts?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Clarification needed (and I saw the movie twice over the weekend) - AND THIS WILL EXPLICITLY DISCUSS A PLOT POINT, SO DON"T CONTINUE READING IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED********YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:

The Infinity gaunlet looks fried on Thanos' hand after, you know....., but with the stones intact. He then teleports (or transports, or bifrosts. or whatever you call it) to another part of the universe. The first time I thought he left the now destroyed gauntlet behind, the second time not so sure, was looking for it on his hand, did not see clearly, but no evidence it was still on earth. So 2 questions - 1) Was it destroyed (thinking no if he was able to transport, unless he could do that without the gauntlet anyway), and more importantly 2) Did it go with him or is it still on earth after Thanos left it behind (if it was broken, no need to take it in his mind). It is key to know this for the next movie, if my plot prediction (discussed below) is correct. 

Overall, I liked it. Quite the gut punch at the end for sure, but I am not as stunned as others were. Maybe too jaded by the knowledge that comic books never really kill their characters for good, and the easy out this storyline can take (also knowing how the comic book series did so) which I will elaborate on below.

It seems clear *****AGAIN DISCUSSING KEY PLOT POINT, TURN AWAY NOW OR READ AT YOUR PERIL******* I WILL BE VERY DETAILED HERE, SO READING MORE WILL DEFINITELY SPOIL THINGS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, I CAN"T GIVE ANY BETTER WARNING THAN THAT************STOP NOW, OR WITHHOLD ALL WHINING THAT I RUINED IT FOR YOU*******: that Dr. Strange, having seen all possible outcomes and knowing that this outcome was the only way to win, was always prepared to give up the time stone rather than destroy it (neither option is really protecting it, which was his duty, unless of course he knew he could get it back later, and had to get it up short term to ultimately protect it long-term), was always prepared to let Quill intervene to ruin things when they had the chance to take the gauntlet off, and must have known that Thanos would use the time stone to alter the future to re-collect the mind stone when it seemed lost. So he saw the ultimate outcome of the conclusion of this movie, saying it was the only way. But that is not winning, obviously (at least short-term). Also, one has to wonder if it is possible for him to see into the future beyond his own death? I would think not, so he must know he can be resurrected, and therefore I'm not really worried about who died, it's likely all temporary (as proved possible already by Thanos in getting back the mind stone). It begs the question, since the time stone could have been destroyed beforehand to prevent the reversal of time and the re-creation of the mind stone, and Strange did not choose that option, then does he know that Thanos can actually never be beaten, and that he would have continued on his quest to wipe out half the universe until he succeeded, so the only way to "win" was to let Thanos think he succeeded, and then reverse time quietly while Thanos sits alone in his corner of the universe satisfied that he has restored balance, rather than killing Thanos or destroying the stones? Hence my original question about the state of the gauntlet (since the forge is operational and has a mould of it already, and Thor has a bifrost axe to transport him back there). If Thanos still has it and the stones, that makes things a bit more tricky than if it was left on Earth, but the ultimate solution of re-build and reverse time seems obvious for the second movie to have that happy ending. Plus, from Marvel's marketing and distribution standpoint, after clearing $1.3 billion on Black Panther, and having all the original actors' (Downey, Hemsworth and Evans I believe)contracts expiring, the choice of who lived and who died seems entirely opposite to what the studio would need on a go-forward basis to keep milking this cash cow into Phase 4. Who wants to bet that Avengers 4 is titled Infinity Wars: Resurrection (especially since the studio hid the name of Avengers 4 prior to release of this movie because it itself was a spoiler)?

Any thoughts?

Wow that's a lot.  But I'll try and answer.

Infinity Gauntlet, although partially wrecked, is still intact and is in Thanos' possession.  He did not leave it on earth.  He uses the Space Stone to transport himself where ever he wants.  You don't see it on him at the end because it's probably sitting in his house, and he doesn't need it anymore.

There is going to be a Black Panther 2, Dr. Strange 2, Spiderman 2, Guardians 3, etc... so obviously those characters aren't dead.  And you are probably correct, that is what Dr. Strange had to do in order for the good guys to eventually win.  Gamora, Loki, Heimdall...they're dead.  But those who vanished, they're not dead.  I also think Vision is going to be alive after once they repair him, but he won't be the same as he was before.  They'll probably follow the storyline of when he got destroyed and Pym put him back together, but he ended up being emotionless.

In the next movie, you'll probably see those who "survived" end up either retiring or getting killed off.  So mostly the original Avengers group.  And I'm wondering if Hawkeye will take over the team or something like he did in West Coast Avengers comic book.  Just speculation.  I'm thinking Hemsworth will stay on.  I know Taika said he wants to direct the next Thor movie, so either he lives and is in it, or they switch it to a female Thor like in the comics.  Not sure about Banner and the rest.  But I"m guessing Cap and IM will bite the bullet in order to save the universe.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Yes, thanks much. I'm aware of how the comic book series resolved the storyline, so much of that fits. Would be a bit surprised if at least Gamora wasn't brought back , given her role in Guardians (if they are making further movies). I guess Nebula would step into that role on the team. Also, I know in the comics that Hawkeye is killed, nit sure if that will occur in the upcoming movie. Interesting that the entire "original 6" Avengers (assuming Hawkeye did) survived while most of the new crew disappears, wondered if there would be a "sacrifice" like you suggest where the old guard dies to save and bring back the new crew (so they can make more movies like you say).

They are gonna bring some back no question. Black panther, spider man, groot (the last two got me right in the damned feels) 100% will return. And with expiring contracts RDjr and thor survived but may die in the 2nd one. Who ever dies in the second one i expect that to stick good and long. 

Freaking loved this movie. Thanos killed it. When he is with gamora and red skull going after the soul gem, that might be the best dramatic marvel scene in history. Maybe the best of the marvel movies. 

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Any thoughts?

The gauntlet is damaged, think of it as being on cool down. Itll need time. He used it to escape and could use the space gem to reverse the damage to it. Normally when it is used to extreme effect or destroyed the gems scatter them selfs to the corner of the universe or actually break. The fact its intact says it will still work in the future just not at full power for the moment. Thanos still has the gauntlet. As shown it is very difficult to forcibly remove. 

What i imagine he saw in the iterations where the time or other gems were destroyed was thanos using what is left of the stones and gauntlet to gain another mass extinction level power and using it while bringing greater chaos to the universe. Or that he would instead go planet to planet destroying all life rather then half the planet.

I would think he sacrificed every thing so that tony stark would live, and having seen soo much horrible death (spidey especially) that he would be willing to do with out restraint what needs to be done. Perhaps he (and maybe hank pym) create the Ultimate nulifier. or locate it. Tony pre mass extinction may not have been willing to use it to reset the universe. Tony afterwards probably is. Epsecially if pepper died too. 

Left on the schedule is infinity war 2, black panther 2 and gotg 3, also iirc an un named spiderman 2 is in the works. gotg is the only one that could be at least partly re booted. (original GOTG team)But I have no doubt many of the deaths will be un done in IW2.

Also the lack of hulk was confusing and maybe the only disappointment in the movie. That and the utter piss poor use of the infinity stones by their wielders. Dr strange traps dormammu in an endless time loop but does nothing with it worth mention in the movie. Vision gets his butt handed to him by every thing and every one. Loki couldnt use the tesseract to get him thor etc out of danger? 

Great movie. Will see it again. But this time I'll wait until the Jets are done their run instead of going on the night they go into frikken double OT. Made for a late night watching it on PVR after the movie. Definitely need to have followed along for the last few years for it

Banner trying to Hulk out was priceless. To see Hulk so scared to come out was great.

Not sure if Loki is dead or not. He's faked it so many times before I do think this one might stick, but I know a lot of people don't agree.

Can't wait a year for the conclusion. Man it's gonna be tough.

My beefs are so minor with this film...

The stone wielders were utterly useless.

Thanos decides one week to go collect all the Infinity stones. What I did on my summer vacation style. My theory is that he waited until he knew he could get to most of them quickly, thinking that as soon as he started chasing them, everyone would come after him. 

No way Black Widow could handle a blow from Proxima Midnight. No way she has that strength. 

Most of those beefs can be dismissed with suspension of disbelief. 

----------------------

I don't think Hulk was scared, I think he's done. He was obviously had nothing left when he went up against Thanos, who ripped him apart. 

----------------------

I'm not sure how they're going to bring back the dead but they obviously will. Time stone? Some alternate reality?

----------------------

Captain Marvel vs Thanos will be awesome. Word is, Captain Marvel will be the strongest hero in the MCU. Ronin is in the upcoming Captain Marvel movie.  

Edited by JCon

18 hours ago, JCon said:

My beefs are so minor with this film...

The stone wielders were utterly useless.

Thanos decides one week to go collect all the Infinity stones. What I did on my summer vacation style. My theory is that he waited until he knew he could get to most of them quickly, thinking that as soon as he started chasing them, everyone would come after him. 

No way Black Widow could handle a blow from Proxima Midnight. No way she has that strength. 

Most of those beefs can be dismissed with suspension of disbelief. 

----------------------

I don't think Hulk was scared, I think he's done. He was obviously had nothing left when he went up against Thanos, who ripped him apart. 

----------------------

I'm not sure how they're going to bring back the dead but they obviously will. Time stone? Some alternate reality?

----------------------

Captain Marvel vs Thanos will be awesome. Word is, Captain Marvel will be the strongest hero in the MCU. Ronin is in the upcoming Captain Marvel movie.  

The stone wielders part really is the biggest gripe for me. like they dont have to win they just have to put up a good fight do SOMETHING WITH THE STONE.

I kind of figure once he knew where to find all the stones, or find some one who could find it he went for them all. Smash n grab. Because if he stretched it out slowly, the other stones would have been scattered to the winds and the wielders would mainly look to hide them rather then wield them. 

Yeah the black order didnt get introduced or set up well. I dont think they named any one but ebony maw. 

Hulk idk. Hes been set up as in the comics where his power is limitless. Idk what the end game is with him, i was thinking grey hulk but idk.

I think either some thing multiversal, the ultimate nulifier being used to reset the whole universe, i dont think they will do beyonder/one above all etc, could also be ant man going back in time via going sub atomic. 

Captain marvel is my big concern going forward. I hope they use her in a combo of captain marvel and the sentry. To be marvels superman. And not for the crap propaganda that has ruined the comics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it. Kinda underwhelmed. I’m not a comic reader anymore so maybe im just not geeked enough (in a good way). 

Playing emotion for characters that won’t stay dead doesn’t feel very emotional to me. 

The worst part was when they almost had the gauntlet off and Star lord flips out. I hate when characters act stupid to move the plot along 

it was a good film. Entertaining. I just didn’t feel “whoa!!!” Like I expected to.  

I do dig the subtle humour. Thor and Drax being particular standouts. 

They do a good job with so many characters.  

• 2 months later...

It torrented last night so now i can review it

4.5/4 yep more then allowed.

Loved the perception half of everyone is dead but i suspect a giant reset greater then Star Trek has ever done and im talking Year of Hell reset.