Mini-camp info - April 24-26

Jacquie

I went yesterday to the afternoon camp. Didn’t stay for too long, but have a few notes that I took down.

take it for what it’s worth 

First thing I saw when they were warming up I saw Demski and Lafrance catching one handed passss. Lafrance caught every pass one handed and made it look machine like. Made me think that Lafrance might be capable of catching passes out of the backfield pretty well, kind of like Harris as a utility - jack of all trades- back.

For all the talk about Corey Washington, sure noticed that he wasn’t tracking the ball too well and dropped a couple easy passes. Seemed to settle in later in the practice but I noticed him in a bad way. Regardless, pretty big and seems to a polished route runner. 

Tyler Henry made a nice catch in tight coverage. Looked fairly impressive for a Canadian option, was he in camp last year?

Coney is FAST and pretty illusive. 

Tony Stevens was the most impressive of the bunch in my opinion.

sam brown got burned bad a couple of times.

thats all I noticed, sorry I don’t have more to contribute. Oh and p.s was nice to see #1 Darvin adams just being around the team. Wasn’t competing but was throwing passes to some of the receivers when they were running drills. Dude has a hell of an arm

Edited by CodyT

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe im crazy but i feel like draft year players missing out on mini camp is a loss for the league. I know they push the draft back so we know who is gone with nfl deals but Id rather just let it be a gamble. 

I see your point and it would help the draft picks transition to the pro's but thats way too much of a gamble for the CFL....the draft is already a crap shoot as it is.

21 hours ago, bb1 said:

I see your point and it would help the draft picks transition to the pro's but thats way too much of a gamble for the CFL....the draft is already a crap shoot as it is.

I get that itd make things more of a gamble.  But already teams are cutting off the top tier of talent and qualifying that as futures pics. I dont think we see many surprises among who gets nfl camp invites etc. I just think its the wrong direction, pushing to stay ahead of the nfl. Id rather start sooner. Maybe its the off season crazies giving me their last kick. 

A mini camp for the entire draft class would be good too. Get a group of coaches qbs etc from across the league to do an extra mini camp with the kids. 

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I get that itd make things more of a gamble.  But already teams are cutting off the top tier of talent and qualifying that as futures pics. I dont think we see many surprises among who gets nfl camp invites etc. I just think its the wrong direction, pushing to stay ahead of the nfl. Id rather start sooner. Maybe its the off season crazies giving me their last kick. 

A mini camp for the entire draft class would be good too. Get a group of coaches qbs etc from across the league to do an extra mini camp with the kids. 

Isn’t the combine basically a mini camp??  Drills are basically the same

On 2018-04-26 at 1:28 PM, CodyT said:

I went yesterday to the afternoon camp. Didn’t stay for too long, but have a few notes that I took down.

take it for what it’s worth 

First thing I saw when they were warming up I saw Demski and Lafrance catching one handed passss. Lafrance caught every pass one handed and made it look machine like. Made me think that Lafrance might be capable of catching passes out of the backfield pretty well, kind of like Harris as a utility - jack of all trades- back.

For all the talk about Corey Washington, sure noticed that he wasn’t tracking the ball too well and dropped a couple easy passes. Seemed to settle in later in the practice but I noticed him in a bad way. Regardless, pretty big and seems to a polished route runner. 

Tyler Henry made a nice catch in tight coverage. Looked fairly impressive for a Canadian option, was he in camp last year?

Coney is FAST and pretty illusive. 

Tony Stevens was the most impressive of the bunch in my opinion.

sam brown got burned bad a couple of times.

thats all I noticed, sorry I don’t have more to contribute. Oh and p.s was nice to see #1 Darvin adams just being around the team. Wasn’t competing but was throwing passes to some of the receivers when they were running drills. Dude has a hell of an arm

Really high hopes for lafrance - think he’s a great pick up and could end up replacing Flanders  as our rb/sb hybrid

1 hour ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Last year Lapo had some schemes where both Harris and Flanders were on the field at the same time.  I hope he does that with Harris and LaFrance because it would be bound to open up ratio flexibility.

We’ve got some pretty interesting options on offence for Canadian talent now. Funny how one off season can change things.

demski, + Harris and Lafrance Are a pretty dangerous group of Canadian guys 

On 2018-04-28 at 10:18 AM, Floyd said:

Isn’t the combine basically a mini camp??  Drills are basically the same

The difference from doing it with pros and a full time coaching staff (and a good one at that) is great. That experience of first going along side and against pros is the point. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I believe in the Don Matthews approach aka you can start for me until I find somebody better.

His guys had a good bit of leash, so long as they never ever crossed him and always came out of their slumps. But yeah he was a bit harsh for his day but right in line with how you build and maintain a winner. Sadly mos does not agree. 

5 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah.. at 21 and still lots of room to grow and learn I would hope to see him back competing..the guy was constantly in hustle mode and the screw ups he made were from being young and inexperienced and not from a lack of talent 

He made mistakes, but he made them at full speed and with intent. Bring back Walker