Oilers-Jets 1990

Floyd

Replaying on Sportsnet right now...  

Anderson was such a scumbag...  kneeing Essensa in the fkn face

Refs let Oilers get away with everything

Took some courage to stand in front of the goalie back then - Dmen laid the wood on pretty heavy...

If anyone thought Scheif was 'soft' a couple years ago... they should watch Hawerchuk ha

Beauregaurd... NNNNNOOOO!!!!!

Murdoch.... NNNOOOOOO!!!!  

Its like reliving a nightmare

Ranford was an amazing goalie...  equipment was soo small back then!!

Everytime I see Peter Klima I just picture James T. Kirk screaming 'KKKLLIIIIMMMAAA' after his son dies.

Jets were really not a dirty team... cost them a couple series...

Still can't believe Cronin was allowed to wear #44... 

Really miss hockey where guys were literally mauled on the ice or lying in the net while play just continued and they had to get up...

Would've been about 8-10 suspensions after this game ha 

And Ellett scores from the point....!!!  Remember it like yesterday - balcony shook...  

We had finally beat the dirty coddled Oilers...

and then Murdoch proceeded to snap defeat out of the jaws of victory.

If Jets had even half-assed drafted well, that would have been a Stanley Cup team...

Oh man, the 1990 Jets.

That Jari Kurri game-winner in Game 6 was just such a backbreaker.  After being down 3-0, coming back to tie it, and then blowing it...

Ranford got better and better as the series wore on, and the Jets goalies, not so much.  Starting Beauregard in Game 7 was a big ? but the Jets were so flat I don't think that it mattered.

I remember the official marketing name of the Whiteout that year was "The Charge of the White Brigade."

Which was perfect for the 1990 Jets playoff run -- gallant, brutal, short, and resulting in the utter defeat of the white team.

48 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Oh man, the 1990 Jets.

That Jari Kurri game-winner in Game 6 was just such a backbreaker.  After being down 3-0, coming back to tie it, and then blowing it...

Ranford got better and better as the series wore on, and the Jets goalies, not so much.  Starting Beauregard in Game 7 was a big ? but the Jets were so flat I don't think that it mattered.

I remember the official marketing name of the Whiteout that year was "The Charge of the White Brigade."

Which was perfect for the 1990 Jets playoff run -- gallant, brutal, short, and resulting in the utter defeat of the white team.

Starting Beauregard in Game 5 was the killer...  we were heading for the win and he led the collapse.  That turned the series.

Murdoch had a hot goalie in Essensa and insisted on continuing his 1A/1B rotation...  

Essensa ran hot and cold during the series -- he was horrible in Game 1 .

He had his best game in Game 3, and Murdoch interrupted the rotation to go back to him in Game 4, but he got his bell rung and Beauregard was great in 2OT.

Then, when Essensa got his chance again, he was bad again in Game 6. He barely even flinched on that Kurri GWG.

I don't think either goalie played well enough to win the series, but it was a team effort, not just Beau sucking.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Essensa ran hot and cold during the series -- he was horrible in Game 1 .

He had his best game in Game 3, and Murdoch interrupted the rotation to go back to him in Game 4, but he got his bell rung and Beauregard was great in 2OT.

Then, when Essensa got his chance again, he was bad again in Game 6. He barely even flinched on that Kurri GWG.

I don't think either goalie played well enough to win the series, but it was a team effort, not just Beau sucking.

That's a bit of my point...  he was pretty hot heading into the playoffs - our best goalie thru the season for sure

Just saying that Ranford wasn't benched after letting in a zillion goals in game 1...  Murdoch never gave his goalies a chance to get into a groove...

I just remember Beauregard's whiffs as being momentum killers.

Essensa could never get any respect in the playoffs.  I've just been watching this series about the 1992 collapse vs. the Canucks.  We lost the last three games 8-2, 8-3, and 5-0, and Rick Tabaracci started them all. 

That was the year that Goalie Bob was a Vezina finalist.

Man, Jets 1.0 was a freakshow.

On April 12, 2018 at 1:46 AM, johnzo said:

Essensa could never get any respect in the playoffs.  I've just been watching this series about the 1992 collapse vs. the Canucks.  We lost the last three games 8-2, 8-3, and 5-0, and Rick Tabaracci started them all. 

That was the year that Goalie Bob was a Vezina finalist.

Man, Jets 1.0 was a freakshow.

Essensa actually started the 5-0 game.

On 2018-04-11 at 1:50 PM, Floyd said:

That's a bit of my point...  he was pretty hot heading into the playoffs - our best goalie thru the season for sure

Just saying that Ranford wasn't benched after letting in a zillion goals in game 1...  Murdoch never gave his goalies a chance to get into a groove...

I just remember Beauregard's whiffs as being momentum killers.

Essensa and coaches seemed to be a recurring theme - remember when Paddock tried to make him stop playing butterfly style? 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Floyd said:

Replaying on Sportsnet right now...  

Anderson was such a scumbag...  kneeing Essensa in the fkn face

Refs let Oilers get away with everything

Took some courage to stand in front of the goalie back then - Dmen laid the wood on pretty heavy...

If anyone thought Scheif was 'soft' a couple years ago... they should watch Hawerchuk ha

Beauregaurd... NNNNNOOOO!!!!!

Murdoch.... NNNOOOOOO!!!!  

Its like reliving a nightmare

Hawerchuk soft? What?

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I had really convinced myself otherwise... until I actually watched the game again

Hawerchuk was never soft. I had Jets season tickets & watched him play many games. He could be lazy at times when he was a younger player if things didn't go his way he matured as he got older & more experienced but he was never soft. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hawerchuk was never soft. I had Jets season tickets & watched him play many games. He could be lazy at times when he was a younger player if things didn't go his way he matured as he got older & more experienced but he was never soft. 

He never went in the corners...

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hawerchuk carried the Jets on his back a lot of times. Especially in 81-82 when there wasn't much talent. You never saw him play & I did. I don't agree. 

Um don’t tell me whether I saw hawerchuk play or not...  I was a massive fun thru those days and went to tons of games

ducky was a great player and yes he could lift that team on his back... but he was ‘soft’ in terms of corners and giving up the puck midice 

maybe it was macouns fault

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

Um don’t tell me whether I saw hawerchuk play or not...  I was a massive fun thru those days and went to tons of games

ducky was a great player and yes he could lift that team on his back... but he was ‘soft’ in terms of corners and giving up the puck midice 

maybe it was macouns fault

You want to argue about a player in a series over 30 years ago saying he was soft? Just enjoy the team we have now & what they are trying to accomplish. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27