Humboldt Broncos

On part of me wants the truck driver to burn for eternity in Hell for what he did with the tragic loss of so many lives & the devastation of some of the survivors. Then another part of me thinks the guy was put in a position due to lack of regulations & training where he caused a devastating accident with loss of life & injuries. When the driver got up that day he never meant to kill or hurt anyone. He is a victim as much as the hockey players & support staff on the bus were due to inferior regulations & driving inexperience.  Just a sad, sad, sad situation. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

On part of me wants the truck driver to burn for eternity in Hell for what he did with the tragic loss of so many lives & the devastation of some of the survivors. Then another part of me thinks the guy was put in a position due to lack of regulations & training where he caused a devastating accident with loss of life & injuries. When the driver got up that day he never meant to kill or hurt anyone. He is a victim as much as the hockey players & support staff on the bus were due to inferior regulations & driving inexperience.  Just a sad, sad, sad situation. 

He blew a stop sign. I'm not sure how  "regulations & training" is going to prevent something like this.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

He blew a stop sign. I'm not sure how  "regulations & training" is going to prevent something like this.

That has not been verified yet, he may have tried to cross the highway in front of the bus and blew a shift stranding him across the road so it very well could come down to a lack of training and driving experience.  Either way it was a tragic accident with no intent.

Here is the definition of criminal negligence from Wikipedia.

To constitute a crime, there must be an actus reus (Latin for "guilty act") accompanied by the mens rea (see concurrence). Negligence shows the least level of culpability, intention being the most serious, and recklessness being of intermediate seriousness, overlapping with gross negligence. The distinction between recklessness and criminal negligence lies in the presence or absence of foresight as to the prohibited consequences. Recklessness is usually described as a "malfeasance" where the defendant knowingly exposes another to the risk of injury. The fault lies in being willing to run the risk. But criminal negligence is a "misfeasance" or "nonfeasance" (see omission), where the fault lies in the failure to foresee and so allow otherwise avoidable dangers to manifest. In some cases this failure can rise to the level of willful blindness, where the individual intentionally avoids adverting to the reality of a situation. (In the United States, there may sometimes be a slightly different interpretation for willful blindness.) The degree of culpability is determined by applying a reasonable-person standard. Criminal negligence becomes "gross" when the failure to foresee involves a "wanton disregard for human life" (see the discussion in corporate manslaughter).

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's a not so secret secret that a lot of immigrants get their licenses for these jobs without proper training. Driving a truck in the winter in Canada is not such a simple task and I don't believe that the industry does a good enough job ensuring that people who get licenses to drive these trucks are actually good drivers. Hell I think it is too easy in general to get a drivers license.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That's a pretty fair sentence. Crown requested 10 years. 

It's 8 years for each person he killed and 5 years for each he injured, all served concurrently. 

He'll likely be deported after he finishes his sentence. 

• 7 months later...