Mark's CFL Week

TrueBlue

Let this be an open thread about anything to do with CFL Week.  We are quickly gearing up with what should be a great week of events.  Here is the list of events that will be happening from March 21-25.

For more information about CFL Week check out MarksCFLWeek.ca

CANADIAN FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME VIP RECEPTION

Come join us along with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Investors Group Field as we unveil the 2018 Class of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

CFL FAN FEST

This FREE four-day event is packed with events for all fans and families—with autograph signings, Q&As with CFL players and more!

CFHOF CLASS OF 2018 AUTOGRAPH SIGNING

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018 Inductees, announced on Wednesday March 21, will be at Fan Fest signing autographs and posing for Photos with Fans at the Canadian Hall of Fame Display presented by Kubota.

BLUE BOMBERS TAILGATE

Come down and join your fellow Bombers fans, Buzz and Boomer and the Blue Bombers Cheer and Dance Team in the Twisted Tea Fan Cave at Fan Fest.

2018 CFL COMBINE PRESENTED BY ADIDAS

Over 50 young football players face off for a spot in the CFL. Coaches from CFL teams will evaluate players from U Sports and NCAA in advance of the CFL draft.

PASSING SHOWCASE

The CFL is bringing together four teams from the U Sports Canada West conference for an action-packed passing focused tournament.

GIRLS FLAG FOOTBALL CLINIC

Participants will be coached through various flag football drills by current CFL players as well as players from Canada’s Women’s National Tackle Football team

BE A REF

Take the first step towards becoming an Official by completing your Football Canada Level 1 Officials Certification!

YOU MAKE THE CALL WITH DARREN HACKWOOD PRESENTED BY PWC

Test your sharp eyes and judgement during this interactive experience where we watch CFL footage and leave it to you to make the call!

#MARKSCFLWEEK #TWEETUP

We will once again provide an opportunity for CFL fans to connect (in person) with those they’ve been engaging with in the CFL Twitterverse. 

**I've notably left one event off this list which is rather irrelevant.**

If anyone has any specific questions that they can't find an answer to, leave them here and I would be glad to answer them in a timely fashion.  

2 hours ago, nate007 said:

I see that they're doing the 40 yard dash at the Convention Centre. Anyone know how they plan to do this? temporary turf? Run it on carpet? Seems strange to not do it at a field house with artificial turf. 

Slip-n-slide w/Mazola*.

*sponsored by the Canadian Knee Surgeons Association

On 3/16/2018 at 10:00 AM, nate007 said:

I see that they're doing the 40 yard dash at the Convention Centre. Anyone know how they plan to do this? temporary turf? Run it on carpet? Seems strange to not do it at a field house with artificial turf. 

They'll be laying down field turf.  

Here's a preview of what to expect.  Hope to see many of you guys out there.  

It was a smorgasbord of events across five days that provided the perfect fix for news-starved Canadian Football League fans.

The inaugural CFL Week in Regina last March was a blitz on the senses, allowing fans to mingle with stars of the present and legends of the past, while getting an up-close look at the next wave of Canadian talent during the Western Regional and National Combines of draft prospects.

And now that Saskatchewan established the template, Winnipeg looks to build on it.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/03/19/marks-cfl-week-preview/

Screenshot_20180320-034913.jpg

What a pair of sessions: Nichols, Reilly, Ray, Dunnigan, Stegall!

If anyone is looking for something to do downtown on Thursday after these are done, I'd suggest everyone should head down to Wee Johnny's on McDermot Ave. for $4.75 domestics, $5 fancy poutines, $0.75 chicken fingers, live music from 8-11pm, and $3 highballs from 11-midnight. ?

On 3/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, TrueBlue said:

Let this be an open thread about anything to do with CFL Week.  We are quickly gearing up with what should be a great week of events.  Here is the list of events that will be happening from March 21-25.

For more information about CFL Week check out MarksCFLWeek.ca

CANADIAN FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME VIP RECEPTION

Come join us along with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Investors Group Field as we unveil the 2018 Class of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

CFL FAN FEST

This FREE four-day event is packed with events for all fans and families—with autograph signings, Q&As with CFL players and more!

CFHOF CLASS OF 2018 AUTOGRAPH SIGNING

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018 Inductees, announced on Wednesday March 21, will be at Fan Fest signing autographs and posing for Photos with Fans at the Canadian Hall of Fame Display presented by Kubota.

BLUE BOMBERS TAILGATE

Come down and join your fellow Bombers fans, Buzz and Boomer and the Blue Bombers Cheer and Dance Team in the Twisted Tea Fan Cave at Fan Fest.

2018 CFL COMBINE PRESENTED BY ADIDAS

Over 50 young football players face off for a spot in the CFL. Coaches from CFL teams will evaluate players from U Sports and NCAA in advance of the CFL draft.

PASSING SHOWCASE

The CFL is bringing together four teams from the U Sports Canada West conference for an action-packed passing focused tournament.

GIRLS FLAG FOOTBALL CLINIC

Participants will be coached through various flag football drills by current CFL players as well as players from Canada’s Women’s National Tackle Football team

BE A REF

Take the first step towards becoming an Official by completing your Football Canada Level 1 Officials Certification!

YOU MAKE THE CALL WITH DARREN HACKWOOD PRESENTED BY PWC

Test your sharp eyes and judgement during this interactive experience where we watch CFL footage and leave it to you to make the call!

#MARKSCFLWEEK #TWEETUP

We will once again provide an opportunity for CFL fans to connect (in person) with those they’ve been engaging with in the CFL Twitterverse. 

**I've notably left one event off this list which is rather irrelevant.**

If anyone has any specific questions that they can't find an answer to, leave them here and I would be glad to answer them in a timely fashion.  

Is there Board of Governor's meetings going on as well this week?

I actually just came back from there, I got my picture taken with the grey cup, the CFL Hall of Fame employee that was handling it was telling a story of how his father was a player in the CFL, in fact my hand was over his name on the cup (yeah his team won the grey cup, I don't remember the guys name but this was back in the 1950's)

how do you guys post photos here? I can post it from facebook but that means showing my real name

Edited by iHeart

23 hours ago, iHeart said:

how do you guys post photos here?

Frosty can tell you.or......

You can sign up for an account at imgur.com, (free) upload your photos to it,  link and post it here. When you upload there, it gives you different ways of linking to a forum including a direct link. just copy and paste.

Edited by Mark F

14 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Frosty can tell you.or......

You can sign up for an account at imgur.com, (free) upload your photos to it,  link and post it here. When you upload there, it gives you different ways of linking to a forum including a direct link. just copy and paste.

thankfully I don't use my real name on twitter...sort of

5 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

For those who went this weekend, please share your thoughts.  What was good, not so good, etc.

It was pretty good overall for its second year. Just look at how long it's taken Grey Cup week to evolve into what it is today.

For Friday night it seemed like they could have scheduled something more at the Convention Centre. If there was no Jets game I probably wouldn't have gone to the Bombers tailgate.

My suggestion is to have a CFL players skills competition on Friday night. The league kept on mentioning that 52 players were brought to CFL week but the truth is most of them weren't accessible to the fans.

Saturday afternoon there was a bit of lull for events. They should have had players from each team at the Convention Centre signing autographs.  As it was most of players that signed autographs were Bombers or former Bombers . I believe the only none Bomber was Greg Ellingson.  The line-up for Doug Bown, Matt Dunigan and Milt was probably 90 minutes long and they were only there for an hour. Clearly there's an appetite  for autographs. 

The CFL tweet-up was a disappointment as it was nothing like what they have at the Grey Cups. There was no players, no engagement, no pictures with the Grey Cup, no contests etc. It seemed more like an end of day wind-up for CFL staffers that worked the events.