2018 CFL Draft

Rich

54 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Great job in the draft, addressed our current needs and landed a couple of real studs. 

Just need the US recruits to come through and we have the makings of another great season of Bomber football. Except for Rich Hall, should have tied the can to him. 

Team has a lot of talent. Agree about Hall. 

2 hours ago, TheSource said:

Definitely hate what Walters did this draft, or to put it better, what he didn't do.

Every other team tries to significantly improve every off season. Can't see how this years draft efforts are going to even remotely help to do that. I think that Simonize is going to be Addison Richards 2.0 and that is the highlight. It just gets ugly after that. Still think Bombers Cdn depth is going to be tested this year - and found to be way too thin.

The team may do well, but I think there is also a good chance they will significantly regress, and when you couple that with every other team solidly improving this off season, it may not be BCs draft pick that give them the top pick next year.

I think that this is the most powerful reason to like what Walters did.

3 hours ago, TheSource said:

Definitely hate what Walters did this draft, or to put it better, what he didn't do.

Every other team tries to significantly improve every off season. Can't see how this years draft efforts are going to even remotely help to do that. I think that Simonize is going to be Addison Richards 2.0 and that is the highlight. It just gets ugly after that. Still think Bombers Cdn depth is going to be tested this year - and found to be way too thin.

The team may do well, but I think there is also a good chance they will significantly regress, and when you couple that with every other team solidly improving this off season, it may not be BCs draft pick that give them the top pick next year.

Well Walters has a better track record in terms of Canadian drafting compared to the GMs since 2009. ?

I was surprised that we drafted as many receivers as we did; but I believe now we can be less concerned about the "depth" if one of our Canadian receivers goes down.  I mean, although it surprised me and I wasn't a huge fan, it also seems to make sense.  If we are going for O-LINE, and WRs to make up most of our Canadian talent then recruiting and drafting Canadian talent in receivers makes sense.  Actually, parts of me are wondering if a star Canadian receiver is paid similar dollars to a star import receiver?  Could this also be a beneficial way of shifting money around on our SMS as well as putting ourselves in better draft positions in the future since not many teams typically run this many Canadians on their receiving end?  

It might be very interesting if the receivers end up working out well; I know we call Brandon Bridge Air Canada, but maybe our receiving squad can steal the nickname from him and be known as Air Canada or the Winnipeg Blue Birds;  I know I'm being overly optimistic but I think its better to be optimistic and become disappointed then being pessimistic and then proven right 

2 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Even more excited to see Simonise compete now. I don't care what Mike Kelly says, our Canadian depth coming into the draft was strong.  I'll also be curios to see how long Geoff Grey lasts in Cleveland.

There's a good interview with Simonise at 3downnation, and he is saying all the right things, so that is encouraging.

15 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Well Walters has a better track record in terms of Canadian drafting compared to the GMs since 2009. ?

It's a ton of pressure, and probably totally unfair of me, but I've been wondering what Simonise and crew have to do to get out of the massive shadow left by the legacy of Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, Mike Morris and THE REAL #44 Thaine Carter.

Play a game for the Bombers? Oh.

So it turns out the answer is anything more than absolutely nothing.

Edited by mbrg

Id wager to guess Mr Walters checks this site out from time to time.. Or theres some huge coincidence going on here. 

Someone mentions pretty sure he thought 2 OL would be there.. Walters flat out says they were looking for a depth OL later in the draft. 

Someone says... Receivers? Why? Walters says Coates broke his foot.. Thats why. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I really think that if he's sincere that Bowman and Adam's will go a long way in helping him learn how to be a pro and how to act..