2018 CFL Draft

Rich

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

I don’t see how Couture is too small. He was already up to 294 last training camp.  

294 would put him amongst if not the smallest guard in the league. 294 at the start of camp, how heavy do you think he'd be late in games? especially late in the season? Moving the undersized tackle to guard, is a high risk low reward move. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

294 would put him amongst if not the smallest guard in the league. 294 at the start of camp, how heavy do you think he'd be late in games? especially late in the season? Moving the undersized tackle to guard, is a high risk low reward move. 

I mentioned his weight from last training camp because that was already up 10 pounds from the year before.  I would imagine he’s added additional weight.  I just don’t see it being an issue.  

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I mentioned his weight from last training camp because that was already up 10 pounds from the year before.  I would imagine he’s added additional weight.  I just don’t see it being an issue.  

Again the weigh in on the first day of TC doesnt indicate how maintainable it is. Cant speak to the quality or type of weight added, or if it came back off, or if it would under regular play. But expecting a 276 lbs guy when drafted who hasnt gotten a regular spot thus far to become a starting guard vs other guys on the roster with experience at the position and the needed size is a heavy stretch. T-G is the easy switch on the OL, if you are big enough. Hardrick has started at guard as recent as late last year. He also isnt undersized and doesnt struggle with weight.  

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Again the weigh in on the first day of TC doesnt indicate how maintainable it is. Cant speak to the quality or type of weight added, or if it came back off, or if it would under regular play. But expecting a 276 lbs guy when drafted who hasnt gotten a regular spot thus far to become a starting guard vs other guys on the roster with experience at the position and the needed size is a heavy stretch. T-G is the easy switch on the OL, if you are big enough. Hardrick has started at guard as recent as late last year. He also isnt undersized and doesnt struggle with weight.  

Your weight is really just calories in and calories out and there’s a lot more important things than size when it comes to being a cfl offensive lineman.  I’m not suggesting he starts over our 3 Canadian starters at the moment but when the time comes I don’t see it being an issue for him.  Unless there’s something about him and putting on weight that has been unreported or I’m unaware of it.    I’m expecting him to come to training camp this year over 300 pounds.

I love the trade for the Bombers.

We're still gonna get a player at 12 because I'm sure Shepley or Hunter will fall down the board if we want them there. If not, could always look to Simonise or Bennett or somebody like that. Moving out of a weak first round to get what is likely a higher first next year.

Well done Walters.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Your weight is really just calories in and calories out and there’s a lot more important things than size when it comes to being a cfl offensive lineman.  I’m not suggesting he starts over our 3 Canadian starters at the moment but when the time comes I don’t see it being an issue for him.  Unless there’s something about him and putting on weight that has been unreported or I’m unaware of it.    I’m expecting him to come to training camp this year over 300 pounds.

thats an inaccurate and dramatic over simplification. BMI, BMR etc you can take 20 OL across the league with the same weight and have 20 different body types.  Size on the OL is the primary limiting factor. if you dont have enough, even if you are very good you will wear down and get beat. An under weight OL has to over compensate by spending more energy to have the same push. You drop to a lower weight through the course of the game, and lose more energy. Its been his biggest issue through his career to this point so its easy to see how it would be. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

thats an inaccurate and dramatic over simplification. BMI, BMR etc you can take 20 OL across the league with the same weight and have 20 different body types.  Size on the OL is the primary limiting factor. if you dont have enough, even if you are very good you will wear down and get beat. An under weight OL has to over compensate by spending more energy to have the same push. You drop to a lower weight through the course of the game, and lose more energy. Its been his biggest issue through his career to this point so its easy to see how it would be. 

If that’s been an issue for him then I would concede that point I’m just curious what you’re basing this on? 

As it stands right now... Every other team gets to pick a player before we do. BC picks 2 and Hamilton picks 3 before we pick. Most, if not all, of the top 10 players are gone before we pick. It's good for us cuz we didn't want any of them and we'll have 2 1st rounders next year. 

Just now, TBURGESS said:

As it stands right now... Every other team gets to pick a player before we do. BC picks 2 and Hamilton picks 3 before we pick. Most, if not all, of the top 10 players are gone before we pick. It's good for us cuz we didn't want any of them and we'll have 2 1st rounders next year. 

Because every team has the players ranked exactly the same.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Alternatively, we moved down 5 spots to get an additional first rounder next year that could very well be a top 3 pick.

Glass half empty, glass half full.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

We're still gonna get a player at 12 because I'm sure Shepley or Hunter will fall down the board if we want them there. If not, could always look to Simonise or Bennett or somebody like that. Moving out of a weak first round to get what is likely a higher first next year.

Well done Walters.

Simonise is almost guaranteed to go to the Riders, as flies are always drawn to poop.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

This is actually a great trade for Montreal.

Bomben was heading into last year of contract. HAM has a lot of OLs in the stable but to make this move they must believe the player theyre covetting is a lead pipe cinch.

Guessing its Mark Chapman

Edited by Zontar

The issue may not be liking or not liking players in this draft.   The reasoning behind the trade may be that Walters feels that we do not have room this year on the roster to stash another first round pick.  If we like the high talent Canadians already on the roster and have to release who we draft, it may make sense delaying the draft until next year

Edited by ALuCsRED

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Well done Walters.

I don't like it at all - it is a very passive move, and is in keeping with Walter's other very passive activities this off season.

You'd think from the way the Bombers and their fans are acting that they have - hands down - the best Cdn content in the league by far... even after having one of the best Cdns on the team in Westerman stolen from them by a team that has more drive and gumption, and then passing on one of the greatest Cdn talents in the league in Muamba.

On the contrary, I think this season is going to show that the Bomber Cdn content is again sub-par unless the gamble on some of the unproven Cdns Bombers picked up in FA, and some of the 2nd stringers Bombers have acquired over the last 3 years start to step it up. If not, I don't see how this team can be anywhere close to where they were last year.

7 hours ago, TheSource said:

I don't like it at all - it is a very passive move, and is in keeping with Walter's other very passive activities this off season.

You'd think from the way the Bombers and their fans are acting that they have - hands down - the best Cdn content in the league by far... even after having one of the best Cdns on the team in Westerman stolen from them by a team that has more drive and gumption, and then passing on one of the greatest Cdn talents in the league in Muamba.

On the contrary, I think this season is going to show that the Bomber Cdn content is again sub-par unless the gamble on some of the unproven Cdns Bombers picked up in FA, and some of the 2nd stringers Bombers have acquired over the last 3 years start to step it up. If not, I don't see how this team can be anywhere close to where they were last year.

i think it's a good move too..most likely the player we are targeting is going to be there in the 12 spot anyway, and we get 2 first rounders next year in a draft class I like better with more top end talent.

Realistically the only player in the draft to come in and push for a starters spot right off the bat in Winnipeg, or contribute with a lot of game reps is Chapman and he would have been long gone. Also tying up first round money on a player who would most likely sit on the bench if even make the roster seems senseless to me. A first round O-lineman has no spot on this team as he would be behind Couture and Spooner initially if not all year and where do you put him..He could get scooped off the PR and then you have nothing.

The other bonafide impact maker I believe would have been Bennett and good chance he was gone by then too..so really giving up that first round pick to gain 2 more when we may need it more makes more sense