2018 CFL Draft

Rich

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Walters loves picking linemen. 

I hope they continue to draft linemen.  You can never have too many quality Canadians on the lines.  The worth of these players is hard to quantify.  Every team is looking for them. 

when you look at our roster we have 6 canadian lineman in house..and a possible 7th in Gray in the waiting possibly...with really at best in the next 2 years 3 going to start and 2 to be game ready replacements..I would think Couture/Spooner/Spelling and (if Gray ever makes it this yr or next ) covering our needs at the moment...so going O-line with our first 2 oicks..even first 3 is somewhat a waste.

I would go with the player most likely to make a roster impact this year with the 1st..regardless of position and then the best player available with 2nd pick

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

when you look at our roster we have 6 canadian lineman in house..and a possible 7th in Gray in the waiting possibly...with really at best in the next 2 years 3 going to start and 2 to be game ready replacements..I would think Couture/Spooner/Spelling and (if Gray ever makes it this yr or next ) covering our needs at the moment...so going O-line with our first 2 oicks..even first 3 is somewhat a waste.

I would go with the player most likely to make a roster impact this year with the 1st..regardless of position and then the best player available with 2nd pick

Not going to start the Neufeld debate haha...  but I full expect our line to be Bryant-Chungh-Goossen-Couture-Hardrick by Game 6...  after that both Spooner and Speller are huge question marks

I also have less faith that Gray will be here any time soon... never know.

After all that, if it was me, I'd take Bennett first...  I do think Walters sticks with OL and goes with Korte or Sceviour like everyone's predicting

I think they take a DB like Bennett or Onyeka or a receiver depending on who is there in round one and don't take an OL. As Booch stated, they have Chungh, Goossen and Neufeld to start with 3 prospects/youngsters for depth. Plus Gray. I think they go OL later with a guy likely to go back to school or a futures pick.

After watching the press conference, I get the feeling that we don't have a lot of room under the cap to pay a first round player...

To me, it sounds like we will either take a futures pick, trade out of the first round, or take someone who isn't projected as a starter and more of a ST'er. This just seemed different than every other press conference from Walters where he always talks about drafting OL in the first round.

Edited by Dr. Blue

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Not sure where's Walter's getting 'the emergence of Spooner and Speller...' - have they even been on a gameday roster...?

I found his comments on Speller to be pretty interesting:

One of the most pleasant surprises of all training camp last year was Cody Speller, who was an undrafted player. He had a very good training camp, really impressed the coaches.  He went back to McMaster and had an All-Canadian type season so we're excited to see him.

Obviously he is going to talk up his players but it sounds like Speller will get a legitimate shot.

Or maybe he's just Mitchell Baines 2.0 ;)

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Not going to start the Neufeld debate haha...  but I full expect our line to be Bryant-Chungh-Goossen-Couture-Hardrick by Game 6...  after that both Spooner and Speller are huge question marks

After all that, if it was me, I'd take Bennett first...  I do think Walters sticks with OL and goes with Korte or Sceviour like everyone's predicting

So, you're thinking that Spooner and Speller are question marks and this can be best solved by drafting an O lineman with absolutely no pro experience, development or familiarity with our system?  Ok then.

22 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, you're thinking that Spooner and Speller are question marks and this can be best solved by drafting an O lineman with absolutely no pro experience, development or familiarity with our system?  Ok then.

Umm...  yeah, that's the point of drafting guys... to have more depth.  I'm a bit lost with your outrage here...?

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Umm...  yeah, that's the point of drafting guys... to have more depth.  I'm a bit lost with your outrage here...?

I'm a bit lost with your assumption that I'm outraged.  Just for future reference, someone can disagree with you and not be upset at all.  I'm actually kind of confused.

If the Bombers coaches and managers are ok with our current depth at O line, why in the world would drafting another one in the first round be helpful.  You actually can have too much depth at a certain position.  It would be a waste of developmental time and money to draft someone if they already believe that their o line depth is good.  I also recognize that this is Walters speaking to the press, so I take everything he says about his thoughts about the draft with a huge grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Interesting move. Is next year's draft supposed to be really good?

Pretty typical from what I know thus far, but I mean that could be a high 2019 pick given what BC looks like headed into this season.    I’d have a hard time seeing them finish higher than 4th in the West unless Jennings gets back on track.

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm a bit lost with your assumption that I'm outraged.  Just for future reference, someone can disagree with you and not be upset at all.  I'm actually kind of confused.

If the Bombers coaches and managers are ok with our current depth at O line, why in the world would drafting another one in the first round be helpful.  You actually can have too much depth at a certain position.  It would be a waste of developmental time and money to draft someone if they already believe that their o line depth is good.  I also recognize that this is Walters speaking to the press, so I take everything he says about his thoughts about the draft with a huge grain of salt.

It’s not that linear.  It’s not like they are going to hire extra OL coaches or something.  Sure there’s a cost to having players at training camp I guess, but weird way to look at it.

The draft picks have no monetary value.

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It’s not that linear.  It’s not like they are going to hire extra OL coaches or something.  Sure there’s a cost to having players at training camp I guess, but weird way to look at it.

The draft picks have no monetary value.

It costs money to sign a first rounder.  They don't play for free and so you better be getting the most bang for your buck, and you don't get that by drafting in a position where you already believe you have plenty of depth and then paying first rounder bucks for the privilege

Edited by WBBFanWest

39 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Interesting move. Is next year's draft supposed to be really good?

Can never really know a year before hand in the cfl. Cant really know till right before the draft really.

I think Bcs pick next year is gonna be 3rd or 4th. Seems like a great gamble. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Im hoping for couture, but i can not see him being a guard. He is a small tackle. I like our crop of young NI ol. we have some gooders who should be rounding into form this year or next. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Can never really know a year before hand in the cfl. Cant really know till right before the draft really.

I think Bcs pick next year is gonna be 3rd or 4th. Seems like a great gamble. 

Im hoping for couture, but i can not see him being a guard. He is a small tackle. I like our crop of young NI ol. we have some gooders who should be rounding into form this year or next. 

I don’t see how Couture is too small. He was already up to 294 last training camp.