Game 58 : Legal @ Illegal

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

I love the fact that we can have talented players on all four lines, with guys who can also come in and not skip a beat and play our bottom six. Long gone are the days of Thorburn, Peluso, Glass, etc wasting roster spots and being an anchor on whatever line they were on. 

Hendricks and Tanev disagree. 

They arent slugs but... Thorburn was better than Tanev. He scored more points. 

33 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Tanev averages 0.16 PPG. Thorburn averages 0.17 PPG. Hendricks averages 0.20 PPG.

Tanev's possession metrics are better than both Thorburn's and Hendricks'. Tanev also came cheaper than either of them.

Before spouting off garbage comments, look at some numbers next time.

I did. Points. Thats all that matters. Fancy stats mean **** all. 

Bottom line.. Tanev isnt good... Hendricks isnt good. Thorburn wasnt good. 

Next time realize hockey is about scoring the most goals.. Tanev has 6 career goals

Edited by Goalie

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Next time realize hockey is about scoring the most goals.. Tanev has 6 career goals

This is incorrect.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

You clearly didn't. I just out pointed average PPG and the difference is beyond negligible between the three players. I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to grasp. If you think advanced statistics mean nothing, your understanding of the game is literally as clueless as your commentary in this thread.

Brandon Tanev is statistically a better bottom 6 forward than Thorburn. His possession metrics are better, he's a better 200 ft. player, and he's not a liability like Thorburn was (check out his career -39 +/-). He also costs $200K less and has better statistics all around this season. If sports are all about what you've done lately, then Tanev is without question the better forward this season, as evidenced by his better numbers, PPG average, and possession metrics. There's no debate whatsoever.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/tanevbr01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/thorbch01.html

And hockey's about winning, actually. Scoring goals is just as important as preventing them.

Edited by blue_gold_84
links added

36 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Laine has to learn there is more to the game than just shooting the puck

Games I've watched, Laine looks like his energy level is not up there with many of the other players.

Maybe his conditioning /eating program is not quite as good as it could be.

52 minutes ago, Atomic said:

His effort level was really exposed when they had him with Schief and Wheeler on Friday. He's great on the pp, but he needs to improve in every other aspect.

He's 19 and scores a **** tonne of goals, so I can't complain about him too much though...

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Actually he was great with Wheeler at center...maybe he needs a center who can give and go a little bit better than Little?  They just don't mesh for whatever reason. Btw Laine is also a great passer.. but who cares when he shoots better than  99% of the players in the NHL?

42 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Actually he was great with Wheeler at center...maybe he needs a center who can give and go a little bit better than Little?  They just don't mesh for whatever reason. Btw Laine is also a great passer.. but who cares when he shoots better than  99% of the players in the NHL?

You can't run a team by saying "OK everyone give full effort and play according to the system, except you Laine, you're really good so don't worry about it."  It doesn't matter how good a shooter or passer he is... he has to play within the system and give 100%.  You can't have a princess on the team.