2018 Winter Olympics

Rich

Normally, I would be very excited but I'm getting quite cynical. Russian dopers. No NHL. I'm just having trouble getting into it.

I hope once it starts, my feelings will change. I know my oldest son is interested, so maybe he will encourage me to follow it.

Edited by JCon
Typo

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Normally, I would be very excited but I'm getting quite cynical. Russian dopers. No NHL. I'm just having trouble getting into it.

I hope once it starts, my feelings will change. I know my oldest son is interested, so maybe he will courage me to follow it.

this is almost ver batum where I'm at, sadly.......didn't help me one iota that we're being represented in curling by teams that I just despise. Lawes, as a Manitoban, is all well and good, but she's playing a ridiculous gimmick game with the ultimate Delta Bravo in John Morris. Oi. In summary, no hockey worth watching, no curling worth watching......so I'm left to try and care about speed skating and bobsled...

6 hours ago, JCon said:

I hope once it starts, my feelings will change. I know my oldest son is interested, so maybe he will encourage me to follow it.

yeah I'm not really feeling it either, it doesn't help that IOC has overturned the Russian ban at the last minute

if Canada wins some medals good for them, I guess another reason I'm not feeling it is because I have to work and such, I'll keep the medal table open and will try to hide it at work (i'd have it on my phone if only my workplace had working wifi) and i'm sure they'll announce if Canada wins a gold

also it doesn't help that the olympics and NHL hockey are going on at the same time, how can I choose

Edited by iHeart

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Turns out the Olympics start this weekend!     These sure seemed to sneak up, didn't seem to be a lot of press or play time leading up to them.   

Olympics_Schedule.png

I thought the opening ceremonies were tomorrow how odd, how come some of the events are happening before the ceremonies...yeah I know it's kind of normal but it still boggles me

Edited by iHeart

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I thought the opening ceremonies were tomorrow how odd, how come some of the events are happening before the ceremonies...yeah I know it's kind of normal but it still boggles me

Happens with every Olympics. It's the reality that the facilities need to be used for so many events that they can't easily fit everything in. They don't start handing out medals until Saturday, if that makes you feel better.

On 5 December 2017, the IOC announced that the Russian Olympic Committee had been suspended effective immediately from the 2018 Winter Olympics. Athletes who had no previous drug violations and a consistent history of drug testing were to be allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag as an "Olympic Athlete from Russia" (OAR).[80] Under the terms of the decree, Russian government officials were barred from the Games, and neither the country's flag nor anthem would be present. The Olympic Flag and Olympic Anthem will be used instead, and on 20 December 2017 the IOC proposed an alternate logo for the uniforms (seen at right).[81] IOC President Thomas Bach said that "after following due process [the IOC] has issued proportional sanctions for this systematic manipulation while protecting the clean athletes."

An original pool of 500 Russian athletes were put forward for consideration for the games and 111 were immediately removed from consideration. The remaining athletes had to meet pre-games conditions such as further pre-games tests and reanalysis from stored samples. Only if these requirements are met can the athletes be considered for invitation to the games. None of the athletes who had been sanctioned by the Oswald Commission were still in the pool.[85] The final number of neutral Russian athletes invited to compete was 169.

From Wiki

5 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Anyone know what the link is to CBC's live Olympic coverage.  We want to set it up here at work but I can't find it.  I found some video's on CBC's website, but they usually have live streaming.

Events are done for the day.

Starts back up at 6pm tonight, I believe.

Edited by JCon

36 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Not something I ever expected to read but I like it!

well he's not wrong, I imagine that so much Ricola or halls has to be taken afterwards. Heck even the Simpsons proved that curling is harder than you think. I actually tried it once, (Jeff Stoughton was in attendance) 

Edited by iHeart