Rule Changes For 2018

BigBlue

On the surface It seems like a poor change. (the reversion of the force out rule) If a wr is goes up, gets the ball, is going to come down in bounds and the db pushes him out that doesnt seem fair. But at the same time, the dbs can do soo little with out getting a flag. And the field is soo wide, the offense should be able to operate well with in that range. Now just let the wrs and dbs hand fight, but not push off and im happy. 

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

The NFL got rid of the forceout rule a decade ago and they're better off without it IMO.  I've never been a fan of the rule.  You either land in bounds or you don't.  Who's to say that someone would have landed in bounds if they weren't contacted?  It's a judgment call and the less of those the better.

if 65 yards isnt wide enough the offense is doing it wrong. Plus the throw to the side line is not exactly a lethal offensive weapon. 

This is a better rule change...

CFL coaches won’t be allowed to challenge illegal contact calls this season.

The CFL eliminated illegal contact as a challengeable call Wednesday, and the change will be in place when the regular season kicks off next month.

Edited by Mr Dee

45 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

To me, if the QB and the receiver make the proper reads and if the receiver makes a play for the ball, and catches it inbounds, then he should not be subject to a hit that will make the call ‘no catch’.  

For me, pushing an airborne receiver out of bounds is just a variation on "Qb and the receiver make the proper reads etc etc" but then the DB makes a play and jars the ball loose and it's no catch.

Gotta win the whole play, not just the catch.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

QUOTE:

Pulled from the Official CFL website today:

The so-called “force out rule” is eliminated: a receiver catching a ball has to place at least one foot inbounds regardless of whether he was contacted in mid-air. 

This will change how D play the perimeter (a bit). Advantage D.

What do Offense fans think of eliminating this force out rule?

I do not support this rule change at all. It seems to me they barely call the rule properly now. 

To me, if the QB and the receiver make the proper reads and if the receiver makes a play for the ball, and catches it inbounds, then he should not be subject to a hit that will make the call ‘no catch’. 

The judgment calls will always be in sports. It’s part of the game. Good or bad. That ruling definitely helps the D. And besides, who’s to say it will eliminate subjectivity at all, as in: Did the receiver even have a play for the ball before he was hit out of bounds? Was it an early hit? Or necessary? etc.

It's okay for a ruling to help the D.

If the defender gets there early, it's PI.  That hasn't changed.

Of course judgment calls will always be there... but less judgment calls is preferable, IMO.  I just never liked the situation where it's "Well he would have come down in bounds."  How do you know?  That's an assumption that may or may not be correct.

And your argument that "they barely call the rule correctly now" is actually an argument for scrapping the rule altogether.  If it's really that difficult to enforce then it's probably too much of a grey area and should be eliminated.

Edited by Atomic

38 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What a nifty little league, the people directly involved in the game can adjust the rules to improve the game and can implement the changes quickly.  Have to like that.

Sometimes mid-season too. 

And, sometimes, refs will change the rules arbitrarily throughout the game. What's PI in the first quarter may not be in the fourth quarter. Keeps everyone on their toes. 

I was skeptical when the NFL got rid of the force out rule, but it has worked very well.  They have other problems with their catch rules, but this is not one of them.  I have thought many times since then that the CFL should make the same change.  Having to decide whether a receiver would have gotten his right pinky inside the line is foolish.  Glad they changed it.