Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
iHeart

Random Death Notice 2018

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No way was he gonna win with the economy in the shitter. I never understand why people say that.

There were a lot of things going against Bush, but to understand why people say that vote splitting was a big issue you have to look at actual numbers.  Perot got almost 20 million votes in that election.  That's a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No way was he gonna win with the economy in the shitter. I never understand why people say that.

not to mention both he and quayle not getting with the times? I mean they drew the ire of both the Simpsons AND Murphy Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iHeart said:

not to mention both he and quayle not getting with the times? I mean they drew the ire of both the Simpsons AND Murphy Brown

drawing the ire of Murphy Brown isn't hard.  Just be anything but a Democrat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cant say for sure what would have happened had Perot not run...perhaps he gained votes from people who otherwise wouldnt have.  But I agree its quite clear that the simplest explanation is the right was split.

Its also a fact that Bush was in free fall.  His popularity was immense after the Gulf War...to tumble so far and fast, yikes.  And Clinton was the right guy at the right time.  A baby boomer President who looked young and cool and invoked JFK.    Playing Sax on Arsenio Hall...even the talks of his women made him look desirable.  And Bill was one of the best public speakers of the century.

Bush got a raw deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Near impossible to get re-elected when you're in a recession.

wasn't there still a recession when Obama was re-elected or did he make that mysteriously go away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, iHeart said:

And is there a recession right now?

There has been some talk of the economy slowing and the markets have lost some of the gains.  If the US slides into a recession by the next election is pretty much screws the one thing Trump can crow about.  But he'll find a way to blame others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There has been some talk of the economy slowing and the markets have lost some of the gains.  If the US slides into a recession by the next election is pretty much screws the one thing Trump can crow about.  But he'll find a way to blame others.

Argument will be made a trillion dollar deficit every year is not a great economy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Argument will be made a trillion dollar deficit every year is not a great economy .

Obama ran trillion dollar deficits six out of eight years of his term and it didn't hurt him.  In 2010 he ran almost a 2 trillion deficit, which is understandable and explainable given the economic stimulus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎03 at 9:26 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

We cant say for sure what would have happened had Perot not run...perhaps he gained votes from people who otherwise wouldnt have.  But I agree its quite clear that the simplest explanation is the right was split.

Its also a fact that Bush was in free fall.  His popularity was immense after the Gulf War...to tumble so far and fast, yikes.  And Clinton was the right guy at the right time.  A baby boomer President who looked young and cool and invoked JFK.    Playing Sax on Arsenio Hall...even the talks of his women made him look desirable.  And Bill was one of the best public speakers of the century.

Bush got a raw deal.

Clinton was definitely charismatic and had a unique charm and ability to relate to the common man.   He could take difficult concepts and explain them in simple terms.  And he was likeable.  Hard to compete with that.  I still remember after the Gulf War SNL had a skit called "Democrats try to decide who will lose to Bush in 1992" or something like that and it featured all of the front-runner Democrat candidates explaining why they shouldn't be nominated, as it was so obvious they were going to lose, badly.  Boy did that not work out.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/democratic-debate/2859836

if you can get around the Geographic blocker...I think that this is the skit...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-12-02 at 12:10 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

He lost due to Ross Perot splitting the vote on the right. 

Perot hurt him, for certain, but he was in free fall, as well. Social issues were catching up and the time was right for a "change". 

41 was so closely tied to 40 and people could see that trickle down didn't work. There was fatigue from 12 years of the same stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×