Game 41 : Half Way @ Half Baked

8 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

and yet... he was pulling away from someone.

Not really... He pretty much should have been home and clear.. He wasnt. 

The excuses you make for these guys is crazy. He was visually huffing and puffing all OT... Since he played about 3.5 minutes of it. 

3 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Buff's shifts are definitely too long, but is anyone going to tell him to trim them down?  Doesn't seem like it.

On the radio yesterday they were saying he had over 25 minutes of ice, in his 1st game back, and several of his shifts were between 1:30 and 2 minutes.  That's way too long IMO.

Thats on our D coach Huddy for overplaying him..

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I love Blake but he should be on the bench in OT also. His major problem in OT... Like Buffs is they take shifts that are way 2 long. 

Wouldnt that be a coaching issue though?  If Wheeler is effective over shorter shifts, his time should be better managed.  One point might be age and wear.  As good as he is.  Jets have some young players.  Armia and Ehlers in OT...why not.  Guess they need a center.

14 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Yeah, and if Huddy isn't reining him in, Maurice needs to step in.... Unless, of course, he thinks these shifts are a good idea.

Buff is the defacto coach of the team. He does what he wants. Claude Noel had a good quote... Im at work but its something like. "We play a system where the other 4 guys on the ice just try to do what buff does" 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wouldnt that be a coaching issue though?  If Wheeler is effective over shorter shifts, his time should be better managed.  One point might be age and wear.  As good as he is.  Jets have some young players.  Armia and Ehlers in OT...why not.  Guess they need a center.

Do they? 0 and 6 or 7 suggests its time to try something different

47 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not really... He pretty much should have been home and clear.. He wasnt. 

The excuses you make for these guys is crazy. He was visually huffing and puffing all OT... Since he played about 3.5 minutes of it. 

He was walking away from his guy, tired or not.   I do agree he was out there far too long though..

not sure where you see me making excuses for the guy tho..  seeing as this was literally my first comment about buff lol

On 1/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, Atomic said:

Every team gives up lots of high quality chances in OT.  That's just the way 3v3 is played right now.

Maybe it is more often for the Jets... but maybe not.

The Jets get too aggressive and put themselves out of position.  As soon as there is a good chance they all hear "FINISH HIM" ala Street Fighter and get together for a team meeting in the other goalie's blue paint.  And then it's just one good save or one bad bounce and the opposition is off on a 2 on 0 or 3 on 1 and usually end it.  The Colorado game is the most restraint/discipline the Jets have shown this season during 3 on 3, as they waited till the last 15 seconds before serving up the "oops!".  Considering they haven't been any better in the shootout, I don't fault them for trying to end it at that moment.

If your team has the puck and it isn't on your stick, you should either be the guy circling in for a pass or circling out for support.  Do this until the other team loses you for a moment and hope your aim is true.  As an old-school stay at home Dman, I would have struggled mightily being expected to play that loosely.

16 hours ago, mbrg said:

The Jets get too aggressive and put themselves out of position.  As soon as there is a good chance they all hear "FINISH HIM" ala Street Fighter and get together for a team meeting in the other goalie's blue paint.  And then it's just one good save or one bad bounce and the opposition is off on a 2 on 0 or 3 on 1 and usually end it.  The Colorado game is the most restraint/discipline the Jets have shown this season during 3 on 3, as they waited till the last 15 seconds before serving up the "oops!".  Considering they haven't been any better in the shootout, I don't fault them for trying to end it at that moment.

If your team has the puck and it isn't on your stick, you should either be the guy circling in for a pass or circling out for support.  Do this until the other team loses you for a moment and hope your aim is true.  As an old-school stay at home Dman, I would have struggled mightily being expected to play that loosely.

yea I hear that.. needing to be a big time 2 way player is crucial in todays NHL overtime.   being able to flip the switch from offensive to defensive quickly should be just as important to whom is slotted to play the extra minutes as is their offensive skills.