Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

Actually the whole vaccination causes autism argument was never about proof.  The argument was the equivalent of:  Global warming wasn't a problem before Celine Dion was born, therefore she is responsible for global warming.  We now have to decide whether to drive electric cars or sacrifice Celine on top of the Richardson building.

On 2020-03-11 at 8:20 PM, Bigblue204 said:

I'm hoping that some miracle occurs and this is under control sooner then later. I've been waiting as long as I did to see the bombers win a GC, to see Rage against the machine live. I have floor tickets. Please. Dont. Cancel!!!!

ES9SdcHX0AErBAz?format=jpg&name=medium

I can only hope RATM and RTJ can return together and we won't get some other opening act. I'm equally excited for both.

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

This is called "jumping before you are pushed". McMahon has saved face.

I think we all knew this league was unlikely to be successful long term... but this will almost definitely kill it for good.... kind of unfortunate luck for them...

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Two years ago, negative nellies were forecasting the end of the CFL with the AAF & XFL coming onboard. Well, they're both gone now but the CFL still faces a huge challenge as do all established sports leagues of getting thru these scary & dangerous time. 

The CFL has many advantages that the XFL does not have in terms its' ability to survive. One big factor is the XFL was just borrowing space in stadiums that for the most part already had a purpose. Nobody is going to bat an eyelash over the XFL folding. However, there has been a lot of provincial, municipal and federal money invested in the future of the CFL. I believe that if necessary the government would come to the CFL's aid to avoid having been on the hook for a bunch of ghosted stadiums across the country. 

24 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The CFL has many advantages that the XFL does not have in terms its' ability to survive. One big factor is the XFL was just borrowing space in stadiums that for the most part already had a purpose. Nobody is going to bat an eyelash over the XFL folding. However, there has been a lot of provincial, municipal and federal money invested in the future of the CFL. I believe that if necessary the government would come to the CFL's aid to avoid having been on the hook for a bunch of ghosted stadiums across the country. 

Plus, the CFL doesn't have Vince McMahon behind the scenes.

5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Edited by SpeedFlex27

By today, I don't mean just today but in this uncertain economic climate. Money won't be given out to the CFL to bail them out if unemployment levels are anywhere from 10-20% as some economists have predicted & the financial  suffering continues after the pandemic is over. There's no way to justify doing it. Stadiums can be built as they are usually 3-4 year projects so they may be considered as infrastructure to get unemployed trades people back to work.  But funding the CFL? I just don't see it happening. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

By today, I don't mean just today but in this uncertain economic climate. Money won't be given out to the CFL to bail them out if unemployment levels are anywhere from 10-20% as some economists have predicted & the financial  suffering continues after the pandemic is over. There's no way to justify doing it. Stadiums can be built as they are usually 3-4 year projects so they may be considered as infrastructure to get unemployed trades people back to work.  But funding the CFL? I just don't see it happening. 

It might not take a bailout so much as grace periods.  Winnipeg for example has already had the loan written off but they continue to make payments every year out of public good will.  Perhaps Winnipeg would simply not make payments for a couple of years to mitigate losses in one year. There are also opportunities to give tax breaks and such.  I feel the government has some level of responsibility here since it has been their decisions that has resulted in forced closures of many businesses including pro sports. I don't think the public is going to have much of a problem with these types of measures since the result of not allowing for grace periods of payments or temporary tax breaks would likely result in these tax revenues and payments going away forever. So there's no loss really. 

If we are looking at a situation where the entire season will be lost personally Id like to see the league look at playing all games in front of empty stands somewhere where the players can be isolated similar to what major league baseball is considering. The teams would save a lot of money on travel costs because you could rent apartments for all the players and there would be no travel costs once you go the players to the area of choice. Teams could lay off event staff, much office staff, and slash football operations salaries for one season. TSN I think would be willing to pay something extra right now to help make this happen because they are so desperate for content and have a vested interest in the survival of the CFL.