Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

On 2020-02-08 at 7:09 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

It did stand for Xtreme back in the first incarnation. That's when the WWE was involved in the league thru cross promotion. Not involved this time. I believe the shareholders won't allow McMahon to do that.

It was believed to stand for that by most inthe media but never really did.  

WWE is being sued because I’d involvement with this XFL.  It was promoted on wwe tv this past week.  Wwe people are working on it.  Vince claims wwe is billing Alpha for it.  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No idea what that means as it was on different networks spread out over 2 days. 

3.3 million for the first game..... compared to 14 million for the first game with the original XFL.....      the AAFL had 2.9 million.....    this is not good news for the XFL.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No idea what that means as it was on different networks spread out over 2 days. 

Yeah sorry. First game. 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

3.3 million for the first game..... compared to 14 million for the first game with the original XFL.....      the AAFL had 2.9 million.....    this is not good news for the XFL.

Hard to get a read on it.  Let’s put it this way if it draws that consistently it’s a home run.  If it has the expected drops offs then it’s not.  But most feedback has been positive.  I think they’ll see this as a big positive. And hope it sticks. 

AAFL was prime time so not an apples to apples comparison. And they didn’t have network tv after week one.  Wwe does. 

The only merit comparisons to the debut of the original XFL have are in showing how much tv view ship has changed. And what is considered good.  

At these numbers it can certainly be a success.   By the way, Seattle and Ohio were the two highest viewing areas 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Let’s put it this way if it draws that consistently it’s a home run.  If it has the expected drops offs then it’s not.  

I watched a little and also found the football itself to be meh. It seems like the things most people are talking about in a positive way are the open mic between the refs and replay booth and the fact that all players have coaches mics in their helmets. Those don't really seem like things that would draw big TV audiences. Let's see what the numbers are after Week 3.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

10 people on twitter saying it was ok vs the 99.9% that didn't bother to watch.

This happens every time.

Twitter is completely unreliable- it can be easily manipulated by a few "hired guns" who can spam the site to produce almost any result. There will inevitably be a lot who will watch the first couple of games and then lose interest quickly, so yea, lets see the ratings in March. Not that I give a rat's butt about the league.

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I feel like there is some serious WWE fanboying going on for this nothing league.😄

Do your thing.

Certainly not by me, a staunch critic of WWE.  But to pretend 3+ million viewers is a lousy number is just plain WWE-hating.  It really doesnt matter because they could have had 20 million and it wouldnt have mattered until we get into week 3-ish.  But if they draw 3 million consistently over time, they will have plenty of offers from networks, cables and streaming services.  Personally, I think it fails.  But 3 million isnt nothing.

Just now, Geebrr said:

No, I'm not a wrestling hater.

I just don't care about it. People seem to like it. Go ahead.

You brought it up.  It has nothing to do with this thread and little to do with the XFL outside of WWE's largest sharholder owning the XFL.  Although I do think they drew WWE fans to check out week one out of curiosity. I expect pretty big drops next week (and probably for the other weekend games this past weekend).

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Yeah the only place where I have seen it being negatively viewed is here. There was tons of positive feedback on twitter.

It sounds like overall, it was a successful opening weekend for XFL 2.0 and that's gotta be a good thing - at least for now. I tuned in a bit between Jets games, RDR2, and some Netflix, and I have to admit what I did watch was pretty entertaining.

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/2/10/21130973/xfl-impressions-week-1

Good write-up covering the good, the bad, and the "what remains to be seen" for this second iteration of the XFL. At the very least, it gives football fans something to watch during the "traditional" off-season.

Top rated sports on the weekend in the US. Ppl understand this is more than what nhl nba mlb draw right? 

Cant compare it to 20 years ago, viewership habits have changed. Not sure why ppl do this. 

Oh.. Wrestling haters? I see. But its football so not sure why some want it to fail so bad. All the talking heads in the US, even the ones who hate WWE are all praising the XFL. 

Edited by Goalie

Best thing they did was keep Vince McMahon far away, given up the hope of competing with the NFL/CFL and all the gimmicky crap out of the broadcasts.  That's what sunk the first iteration.  They also have more talent to draw from with Arena ball being all but dead outside of basically one legitimate league in the mid-west/west coast now.

They have legitimate broadcasting partners who put resources into those broadcasts, the people calling/covering those games were people who work on NFL/NCAA broadcasts, they weren't the Z team.  The only issue is converting that to capital as they are truly filler at this point.  They will have to post consistent numbers >1 million/game to have value.