Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

I think it has decent potential if they figure out how to help out the QB's to get the ball out quicker (unlimited motion, forward motion for the guys not on the line) and give up on the kickoff nonsense (with all the blockers lined up flat 5 yards across from cover team also lined up flat there is no chance for a return).  Will it be popular enough to pull eyeballs from NCAA basketball on spring weekends and money from broadcasters?  We'll see.  To me it basically fills the niche that the Arena league filled at its peak.  If it goes for multiple seasons it will be interesting to see if the flat salary structure can hold.

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think it has decent potential if they figure out how to help out the QB's to get the ball out quicker (unlimited motion, forward motion for the guys not on the line) and give up on the kickoff nonsense (with all the blockers lined up flat 5 yards across from cover team also lined up flat there is no chance for a return).  Will it be popular enough to pull eyeballs from NCAA basketball on spring weekends and money from broadcasters?  We'll see.  To me it basically fills the niche that the Arena league filled at its peak.  If it goes for multiple seasons it will be interesting to see if the flat salary structure can hold.

I don't think it has potential.

March Madness in a few weeks, NFL combine and draft, baseball starts, Masters, NBA playoffs.

It will disappear completely.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Trestman's Tampa Vipers playing today.

Man the Meadowlands looks empty with 10,000 people in it.

Spring football just doesn't cut it. Too many things going on especially when the weather warms up & the snow goes away. People have been cooped up for months in the northern states & want to get out to hit the golf course, do yard work, go to the cottage, get physically active, play tennis, softball & do some fishing. MLB, Stanley Cup & NBA playoffs start in another 2months. Football especially crap football, loses it's curiosity fast. All that Americans know is that every spring league has failed including the original XFL 2 decades ago, so why would the new XFL be any different?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Spring football just doesn't cut it. Too many things going on especially when the weather warms up & the snow goes away. People have been cooped up for months in the northern states & want to get out to hit the golf course, do yard work, go to the cottage, get physically active, play tennis, softball & do some fishing. MLB, Stanley Cup & NBA playoffs start in another 2months. Football especially crap football, loses it's curiosity fast. All that Americans know is that every spring league has failed including the original XFL 2 decades ago, so why would the new XFL be any different?

I think they've sort of hit the perfect window to where if it's going to work it will be in this time of year.  Season ends basically when NHL/NBA playoffs start, Sunday after NFL Draft.

The on-field product would be as good as it could be if they had more normal special teams, that stuff is hard to wrap you're head around.  None of the games have been close enough for the 9 point TD to come into play.  They could steal some of the CFL pre-snap rules to mitigate the shitty quarterbacking, unlimited motion.

I think a lot of the ideas trialed here will be adopted by NFL and CFL, like spotting the ball faster to cut down on time between plays and having the coach's mic to QB open to all players to speed up playcalling.

I don't believe the TV/Streaming rights will have any significant value though.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules