Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

On ‎2019‎-‎11‎-‎07 at 10:14 AM, 66 Chevelle said:

what the letter doesn't say and why the base salary is a separate total is that those players that sign a contract to play will begin getting paid $1,040 US on 12/4/2019 and will continue to get paid that every week they are with their team thru the first week of May... so, even if you're a training camp bust you're still walking away with some coin in your pocket...

also, if you play on a team that goes 5-5, with weekly roster bonus and win bonus you are looking at $55,000 US for the 10 week season if you are on the roster for every game, whether you played or not...

the letter does not address playoff bonuses either, which could include up to 3 more games, you can see a player making $80,000 US for their efforts... 

another thing left out of the letter, partly because it doesn't apply to this player, is that QBs are paid much higher... I believe that $450,000 US is the cap amount set for this position, well within CFL pay range for 'normal' QB signings...

plus, there is a $4,000,000 US salary cap per team, so even if you pay your QB top dollar there is still $68,269 US available, on average, to distribute among the rest of the signed players... it has been said that those with prior NFL/CFL experience can sign contracts that exceed the 'minimum' base pay, which makes sense and is validated by the cap amount per team...

so, convert that to Canadian dollars and you have a first year guy making almost $80,000 playing for a .500 team, far better than the league minimum for an ELC in the CFL... oh, let's not forgot that this pay is for a 10 game schedule, not 18 games... huge difference when you break down the per game value, almost a $75,000 difference...

Vince is trying to do what the CFL has done, come up with a salary that makes the league viable and affordable while paying a player a decent amount while allowing them to continue their professional dreams... sure, we can all scoff at him and make jokes about it, but, those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

All of this predicates on a guy actually getting paid for a whole season. As the AAF has taught us...that's far from a sure thing.

On ‎2019‎-‎11‎-‎09 at 12:22 PM, 66 Chevelle said:

do I think the XFL will succeed? no, not really... but I do think it has a chance though...

but I think you all under estimate the following that the AAF had... for a league that paid 0 dollars on promotion or advertising, they felt word of mouth was sufficient, they had great support in both TV ratings and fans in the seats... that was, until the rumors of the league folding 2 weeks before it did...

the one thing that I think he's done wrong from the start though is putting a franchise in LA and New York... too much competition and a tough market in New York... and LA? they've proven that they will not support a football team... ever... not since the Rams of the 70's has LA been able to attract and support a professional football team...

but Rod Black is right, the allure is the possibility of owning a franchise worth at least $1 billion each... it always comes down to dead presidents, will one run out before the other shows up is the question... 

If the XFL shows even a fleeting chance of breaking even I will be gobsmacked. You speak of a following the AAF had? The revenues vs. expenditures don't seem to agree.

On 2019-11-07 at 10:14 AM, 66 Chevelle said:

what the letter doesn't say and why the base salary is a separate total is that those players that sign a contract to play will begin getting paid $1,040 US on 12/4/2019 and will continue to get paid that every week they are with their team thru the first week of May... so, even if you're a training camp bust you're still walking away with some coin in your pocket...

also, if you play on a team that goes 5-5, with weekly roster bonus and win bonus you are looking at $55,000 US for the 10 week season if you are on the roster for every game, whether you played or not...

the letter does not address playoff bonuses either, which could include up to 3 more games, you can see a player making $80,000 US for their efforts... 

another thing left out of the letter, partly because it doesn't apply to this player, is that QBs are paid much higher... I believe that $450,000 US is the cap amount set for this position, well within CFL pay range for 'normal' QB signings...

plus, there is a $4,000,000 US salary cap per team, so even if you pay your QB top dollar there is still $68,269 US available, on average, to distribute among the rest of the signed players... it has been said that those with prior NFL/CFL experience can sign contracts that exceed the 'minimum' base pay, which makes sense and is validated by the cap amount per team...

so, convert that to Canadian dollars and you have a first year guy making almost $80,000 playing for a .500 team, far better than the league minimum for an ELC in the CFL... oh, let's not forgot that this pay is for a 10 game schedule, not 18 games... huge difference when you break down the per game value, almost a $75,000 difference...

Vince is trying to do what the CFL has done, come up with a salary that makes the league viable and affordable while paying a player a decent amount while allowing them to continue their professional dreams... sure, we can all scoff at him and make jokes about it, but, those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

You have to be on the active roster for those bonuses.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Vince's ego is the only reason the XFL is in existence. Just can't see this thing lasting. Fans don't like spring football. 

Say what you will about the NFL, but their marketing is nothing short of superb. They have managed to convince their fans (brainwashed, really) that the NFL as presently constituted is perfect and the only football in the world worth watching.  The games are plodding although the athletes are great, and excitement is in short supply.

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Say what you will about the NFL, but their marketing is nothing short of superb. They have managed to convince their fans (brainwashed, really) that the NFL as presently constituted is perfect and the only football in the world worth watching.  The games are plodding although the athletes are great, and excitement is in short supply.

I was in Seattle from Xmas Day to last night. I was at the airport waiting for our flight & the crowds around every bar & tv  watching the Hawks-Niners game was incredible. There was tons of excitement. Especially the ending. I don't find the NFL plodding. Unless Jacksonville is playing Cincinnatti.

Its probably true that Vince never even thought to revive the XFL until the Ebersol's came calling to make the XFL documentary and their own research into the viability of a spring league.  Everyone denies it, but it came out that they valued the XFL's trademarks at $50 million.  Vince basically figured of someone else (especially guys he respects) thought it was viable, then it must be and he should do it.

One key point of the lawsuit is that if an outside entity valued the XFL marks at $50 million, why did WWE essentially gift them to Alpha (Vince's company).  As a shareholder, that would be a good question.  Its also a key point that in most SEC filings, WWE lists as a major negative factor, the loss of Vince's services so shareholders being concerned about Vince working on the XFL has merit (even if it would likely be a positive creatively).   I would suspect a sudden failure of the XFL would drag WWE stock down a bit...these shareholders think the relationship is too tight.  

Really good thread on the lawsuit with speculation it could become a class action 

The basic gist being that the pension fund suing (they own a very small number of shares) is challenging how separate XFL is from WWE and how much work WWE is doing for XFL, feeling the work is not being charged at fair market value.

Vince's employment contract also prohibits him from working in competing businesses and pro sports is listed as one of the competitors he is barred from working.  The BOD amended his contract to specify the XFL as not being competition, which the pension fund disputes.

XFL had a big drag on WWE the first time around and these shareholders dont want it to this time.  I cant see it going very far but WWE certainly isnt cooperating in providing info

Edited by The Unknown Poster

• 4 weeks later...

Other Bomber related players at a quick glance (most are neg list players or guys who never made it out of camp) :

DC Defenders: Jhurell Pressley & Sam Montomery

Dallas Renegades: Philip Nelson

NY Guardians: Mekale McKay

Houston Roughnecks: Sergio Castillo

St Louis Battlehawks: David Rivers, L'Damian Washington, Taylor Heinicke, Trey Johnson & Brandon Reilly.

Tampa Vipers: Quinton Flowers, Donteea Dye & Robert Priester

Seattle Dragons: Mohammed Seisay

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

Montgomery should have made the team the year he attended camp

Yeah I was surprised he didn't. Good prospect out of LSU. But, has bounced around a lot, including two CFL teams. There's definitely a reason.

Taylor Heinicke could play QB in the CFL. At least a back up level. But, might also be a bit of a knucklehead. And, perhaps the lure of playing for the storied St. Louis Battlehawks is just too great. We'll see you when the league folds buddy.

The rules are incredibly confusing.  Going to be real hard to sell the product.  People know what football is and they want football.  I think taking the best rules from different leagues giving minor tweaks is one thing, for instance only needing one foot in bounds to make a catch, no fair catches, no punts out of bounds, only 2 point converts allowed.  What the XFL is doing is impossible to engage people in IMO.  Nobody is going to understand what they are watching and I bet even their own coaches are going to be confused as to what the hell the rules are.  The rules are so different that the product will be unrecognizable from NFL, NCAA, CFL etc.

On 2020-01-28 at 3:14 PM, bigg jay said:

Other Bomber related players at a quick glance (most are neg list players or guys who never made it out of camp) :

DC Defenders: Jhurell Pressley & Sam Montomery

Dallas Renegades: Philip Nelson

NY Guardians: Mekale McKay

Houston Roughnecks: Sergio Castillo

St Louis Battlehawks: David Rivers, L'Damian Washington, Taylor Heinicke, Trey Johnson & Brandon Reilly.

Tampa Vipers: Quinton Flowers, Donteea Dye & Robert Priester

Seattle Dragons: Mohammed Seisay

Some talented guys on that list glad they might get a chance to continue playing and maybe recirculate back to the CFL. Was flowers here or did we just hold his neg rights?