Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

Some info from Dave Metlzer

AAF had spent about $80 million in its eight weeks and had another $48 million that they owed. They had only grossed $12 million in revenue, which was a combination of all revenue streams. With two more weeks of the season and playoffs, losses for the season would have probably topped $140 million. The first season of the XFL lost about $138 million, and expenses will be far higher in 2020 than they were in 2001, but they can also charge much higher ticket prices. XFL expenses will be considerably more than AAF, but revenues should be higher. They aren’t paying for television time like AAF, but realistically I can’t see Vince $350 million earmarked lasting much more tan two seasons. And the key here is that it’s a lock you are having three years of those losses, and the only way you can turn it around is to get a TV deal worth at least $150 million to $200 million per season by year four.

Of the 43 games, 24 of them will air on either FOX or ABC.

22 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sincere question: Are we at the point where this thread could move to the General Forum? I think it's really lost it's "Bombers and CFL" lustre....just a thought.

90% of all offseason threads are in that classification IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Base salary is $27,040.  

Lucky for this guy that he has career prospects outside of football... he can make 2x3 times more money immediately working in a comp Sci job... however the XFL will still find many players who have nothing outside of football... this is their last chance to make it to the big show... 

• 2 weeks later...

what the letter doesn't say and why the base salary is a separate total is that those players that sign a contract to play will begin getting paid $1,040 US on 12/4/2019 and will continue to get paid that every week they are with their team thru the first week of May... so, even if you're a training camp bust you're still walking away with some coin in your pocket...

also, if you play on a team that goes 5-5, with weekly roster bonus and win bonus you are looking at $55,000 US for the 10 week season if you are on the roster for every game, whether you played or not...

the letter does not address playoff bonuses either, which could include up to 3 more games, you can see a player making $80,000 US for their efforts... 

another thing left out of the letter, partly because it doesn't apply to this player, is that QBs are paid much higher... I believe that $450,000 US is the cap amount set for this position, well within CFL pay range for 'normal' QB signings...

plus, there is a $4,000,000 US salary cap per team, so even if you pay your QB top dollar there is still $68,269 US available, on average, to distribute among the rest of the signed players... it has been said that those with prior NFL/CFL experience can sign contracts that exceed the 'minimum' base pay, which makes sense and is validated by the cap amount per team...

so, convert that to Canadian dollars and you have a first year guy making almost $80,000 playing for a .500 team, far better than the league minimum for an ELC in the CFL... oh, let's not forgot that this pay is for a 10 game schedule, not 18 games... huge difference when you break down the per game value, almost a $75,000 difference...

Vince is trying to do what the CFL has done, come up with a salary that makes the league viable and affordable while paying a player a decent amount while allowing them to continue their professional dreams... sure, we can all scoff at him and make jokes about it, but, those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

We saw how difficult it was for the AAF to start from scratch & just how much money was sucked dry. Even though the XFL is better financed thru Vince putting up so much of his up front money to get this venture going, he'll still have to deal with losses from every team. The other thing is starting this league in February which means cities north of the Mason Dixon Line down east or Texas in the West will never be able to have a team because of the cold & snow. Sure the weather will improve moving into spring but the transition takes time. Meanwhile 4 or 5 home games could go by until the weather is warm enough to attract decent crowds. The weather in Boston, Chicago, New York, Milwaukee, Kansas City or Detroit can be really bad during a cold & snowy winter. Which means this league will always primarily be a rump Sun Belt league. Not a great future. The only way the XFL has even a chance to survive is to move the season to the fall & go head to head with the NFL.  I know that sounds crazy but a rump league won't survive. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We saw how difficult it was for the AAF to start from scratch & just how much money was sucked dry. Even though the XFL is better financed thru Vince putting up so much money to get this venture going, he'll still have to deal with losses from every team. The other thing is starting this league in February which means cities north of the Mason Dixon Line down east or Texas in the West will never be able to have a team because of the cold & snow. Sure the weather will improve moving into spring but the transition takes time. Meanwhile 4 or 5 home games could go by until the weather is decent enough to attract decent crowds. The weather in Boston, Chicago, New York, Milwaukee, Kansas City or Detroit can be really bad during a cold & snowy winter. Which means this league will always primarily be a rump Sun Belt league. Not a great future. The only way the XFL has even a chance to survive is to move the season to the fall & go head to head with the NFL.  I know that sounds crazy but a rump league won't survive. 

Quite honestly, all it comes down to is that people just don't care. Only, the super-duper-die-hards want twelve months of football. There are not enough super-duper-die-hards that will watch or care. The XFL-Dos, will fail like the XFL-Uno and the AAF and all the other failed leagues. If it's not NCAA or NFL, it won't fly, bankroll or not. 

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

Quite honestly, all it comes down to is that people just don't care. Only, the super-duper-die-hards want twelve months of football. There are not enough super-duper-die-hards that will watch or care. The XFL-Dos, will fail like the XFL-Uno and the AAF and all the other failed leagues. If it's not NCAA or NFL, it won't fly, bankroll or not. 

Must be nice for McMahon to be a billionaire & be able to cash in his stock options from WWE to finance this little venture, Ha ha. That alone should have told him it can't work. Huge ego on McMahon's part thinking only he can make tis league a success.  And you're right about not caring.  After the CFL & NFL seasons back to back & the hype leading up to the Super Bowl, I do need a break & watching inferior football doesn't interest me. Most fans think the same. It was proven to be true last spring. 

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Must be nice for McMahon to be a billionaire & be able to cash in his stock options from WWE to finance this little venture, Ha ha. That alone should have told him it can't work. Huge ego on McMahon's part thinking only he can make tis league a success.  And you're right about not caring.  After the CFL & NFL seasons back to back & the hype leading up to the Super Bowl, I do need a break & watching inferior football doesn't interest me. Most fans think the same. It was proven to be true last spring. 

I love the CFL, NCAA, and the NFL but have difficulty keeping up with all of them and, by the time the Super Bowl is over, I'm done. 

The only reason I have any hope of knowing what's going on in the NCAA and NFL is because I have nine year old at home obsessed with sports and statistics. 

Also, I know what's happening in the NFL this season because the 49ers are relevant. Otherwise, I'm just a casual observer until December. 

15 hours ago, JCon said:

I love the CFL, NCAA, and the NFL but have difficulty keeping up with all of them and, by the time the Super Bowl is over, I'm done. 

The only reason I have any hope of knowing what's going on in the NCAA and NFL is because I have nine year old at home obsessed with sports and statistics. 

Also, I know what's happening in the NFL this season because the 49ers are relevant. Otherwise, I'm just a casual observer until December. 

I don't follow NFL much but I know the Patriots lost and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy but not as fuzzy as I am going to feel watching the Bombers drinking wine and chewing some classy finger food.