Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

RE: Young people's interest IMO the NFL lacks "bad boy" super stars like it used to. My son for example despite playing football his whole life so far (as soon as he was old enough to play) has more interest in basketball these days and could talk my ear off about this team or that team and this player and that.  IMO the NFL has gotten too stiff and when the only big headlines making the news in recent memory are kneeling during anthems your gonna lose some of the shine, and youth are mesmerized by shiny things.

If there's one thing Vince and Co may be good at is creating some superstars and may just be the trick to stability. It won't appeal to some such as the tradionalists,  but if they wanna create fans for the long haul, its that youth that'll soon be the next wave of income earners

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

per wrestlingobserver

When announcing the revival of the XFL, Vince McMahon promised that "experienced executives" would be hired to be at the forefront of the league.

The league followed up on that today, with Oliver Luck being named as the commissioner and chief executive officer of the XFL. Luck, who is the father of Indianapolis Colts star Andrew Luck, played quarterback at West Virginia University and had a stint as a backup in the NFL in the 1980s.

“Oliver and I share the same vision and passion for reimagining the game of football. His experience as both an athlete and executive will ensure the long-term success of the XFL," McMahon said in a statement.

Luck is leaving a position as the executive vice president of regulatory affairs for the NCAA. Prior to that, Luck served as the athletic director at West Virginia University, was the president of NFL Europe and the Houston Dynamo soccer team. and was the CEO of the Houston Sports Authority.

In an interview with Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, Luck said that the XFL respects individual freedoms but will require players to stand for the national anthem.

The relaunched XFL is planning on starting in 2020 but will face competition from Charlie Ebersol's Alliance of American Football, which will be debuting on CBS Sports in 2019.

On 2018-05-02 at 1:52 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Both the new xfl and the what ever they are calling the other one, have some legit american names attached to it. If they went in on it together rather then trying to compete with each other they'd really have some thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Meltzer wrote about the XFL and AAF and noted several other leagues starting up with the idea that sports content was so valuable, the plan is to try and leverage whatever programming you can create to get rights fee money.  XFL is talking to 30 cities about teams (they will start with 8).

The other new ideas are the Fan Controlled Football League, scheduled to launch next year where rich fans can pay to become coaches and General Managers in a seven-on-seven indoor league with one hour games and a 50-yard field, which has a Twitch contract.

Pacific Pro Football, scheduled to debut in July 2019, head by Don Yee and Ed and Lisa McCaffrey. This will be a four-team league with teams in Southern California composed of players under the age of 23 but who aren’t playing college football. The idea is they will bid for the best high school players and pay them to start playing rather than not getting paid (or at least directly) and having to attend college. The idea is that unlike AAF and XFL, who will be like the Canadian League in bidding for people not good enough to make an NFL practice squad, let alone a team, the PPF will be able to get the highest class of athletes because they will be paying to get players that would be college stars.

Your Call Football, which is starting imminently, will have fan involvement. The coaches will pick three different plays for each down and fans can vote on an app and the one that gets the most votes is the one the team goes with. This probably won’t end well. They will stream games like on Barstool Sports and YouTube.

Major League Football, which debuts next March, was supposed to start this year but it was canceled when the investor pulled out. It will be an eight-team league.

The last one is the Spring League launched this year with four teams playing two games live on Bleacher Report

Are they going to do that thing, where the head coaches are expected to crank out some aggressive half time trash talk, pro wrassling style?   Trying to picture Tim Burke or Jim Daley doing this.......

Daley:

Well Hades, I really though we could contain those guys.  Good gravy, I am real disappointed, with you guys

Burke: 

Don't you try to blame me for those calls.  I didn't really want to make them anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Oliver Luck, the CEO and commissioner of the XFL, told ESPN this week that Vince McMahon has earmarked $500 million in startup costs for the league, which he said they project will cover the first three seasons of losses.

Luck said he would not have left his position as the heir apparent to the president of the NCAA without guarantees.

Luck himself is guaranteed $20 million for the job, which will make him the highest paid employee/contractor of Vince McMahon in history with the exception of Austin, Cena and Rock. That’s more than HHH, Lesnar, Kevin Dunn, Michelle Wilson, George Barrios or anyone else.

Luck started in his new job on 7/2, moving to Stamford.

Luck said that people who focused on $100 million (Vince sold stock worth a little over $96 million to fund the venture) don’t realize that $100 million only gets them to the 20 yard line. $100 million doesn’t last long when you’ve already paying the CEO $20 million (and $30 million with performance bonuses if goals are achieved).

Luck also said that they expect to average about $75,000 per player on salaries with eight 40-man teams, although they will be paying significantly more for coaches since they are looking at high level coaches.

He said players that have bigger names will be paid more than that. Another difference between this and wrestling is that all players will be insured as Vince McMahon has earmarked $10 million per year in payments to insurance companies.

While wrestlers are making far more, Vince has never insured his wrestlers.

The rival AAF has now announced all eight of its home cities for its league that starts in the spring of 2019, which are Atlanta, Orlando, Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, San Diego and Phoenix

XFL news from Meltzer

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, JCon said:

Feels like their too late? Won't the AAFL (AFL?) win the race? 

It does seem very ho-hum.  Like for $100 million or whatever Vince estimates the start up costs, it really seems like a huge risk.  But he's counting on TV rights fees for sports continuing to be valuable.  XFL is slated to start a year after the other one (AAFL?).  So...I dont know how successful it will be.

I always felt Mark Cohon treated the players like ****. I never thought he was a great Commish because of it. It's not like CFL players make multi million dollar salaries. This last CBA wasn't a good one for the players & I think they deserve to get paid. They had that big initial jump & then increments of $50,000 every year after that. I mean that never covered new contracts. Just the increases on the last year of the old ones for some. 

13 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

The CFL needs to give any increases in salary to the bottom end players, not the higher end. 

There will never be a great salary structure from top to bottom in the CFL because of how much more valuable quarterbacks and national players are. Can find hundreds of capable american players at other positions so the value just isn't there. You can bump up the minimum salary but the guys who are the rarest will always make significantly more.