Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

29 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Spring early summer football in USA is never a bad idea tho.

when has any pro football out side of he nfl really worked? Adding more football leagues in the us is never a good idea. With the level of following at HS, college, and the nfl the market is hyper saturated. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

when has any pro football out side of he nfl really worked? Adding more football leagues in the us is never a good idea. With the level of following at HS, college, and the nfl the market is hyper saturated. 

I watched the XFL and was actually entertained.  They had a bunch of innovative rules and broadcast technology that has since been adopted by the NFL.  Check the 30  for 30 documentary if you have the chance.

My only concerns would be how much the players in the new league were paid and if the XFL would respect  CFL contracts.

Spring leagues if done right have the chance to succeed. They just can't try to compete with the NFL (which Trump didn't understand when he killed the USFL).

XFL had some entertaining aspects to the game... the opening scramble was dumb and the WWE influenced sideline stuff was ridiculous also.

If you want a good watch youtube search wrestlelamia xfl ....  they have a couple of videos that really go over the xfl and show why it flopped in the end. 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I watched the XFL and was actually entertained.  They had a bunch of innovative rules and broadcast technology that has since been adopted by the NFL.  Check the 30  for 30 documentary if you have the chance.

My only concerns would be how much the players in the new league were paid and if the XFL would respect  CFL contracts.

Spring leagues if done right have the chance to succeed. They just can't try to compete with the NFL (which Trump didn't understand when he killed the USFL).

Yeah, innovative rules. Jesse Ventura threatening to beat up a HC during a broadcast & then trying to find him. 

I posted a link on random news because it really deals with the wider idea of sports investment though Vince loves football. 

There is speculation that the idea is gaining more steam because of Trump and that some right leaning networks/business might sign up and try to spin the whole anthem thing into a “patriotic” football league. 

Vince isn’t dumb with money usually though.   He has a lot but won’t self finance.  He was willing to do a second season of XFL but not without NBC. 

I also wonder if Shane might be involved as he previously pushed Vince to buy UFC and bellator. But Vince hates MMA. 

It could be part of a transition scheme too.  Vince moving away from day to day WWE to focus on personal projects but still around as chairman so the stock doesn’t dive under Hunter. It’s a real concern if Vince died tomorrow what would happen to the core business. 

Keep in mind also that Vince is the largest shareholder and collects huge dividend Chequers. He is very cash rich. 

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

LOL! Yeah I remember it. Bomber coach Ray Yauch abandoned us for DC. Best thing that ever happened to us.

Ray Jauch.  J.. a... u.. c... h.  At the time the USFL was offering up big contracts to players & coaches. Don't begrudge Ray for leaving when he was making twice as much money as he was making here. At least he quit when his contract was up. Unlike Jim Spavital who left the Riders in 1974 when he was their HC & GM while still under contract for the Chicago Fire when the World Football League started play a decade earlier. I was a Jim Spavital fan but he was wrong to do what he did.

BTW, it was Ray Jauch who is credited in changing Dieter Brock's game from a sprint out left & sprint out right qb to a player who could pick a defense apart in the pocket with his lightning quick release. Under Ray's tutelage, he learned to see the entire field with his reads & not just the side of the field he was sprinting to. We don't know what the Bombers may have accomplished under Jauch.  I don't share your it's "the best thing that ever happened to us" scenario. The Bombers brought in a lot of talent under Jauch & Paul Robson. They were destined to be a great team no matter if Cal Murphy or Ray Jauch coached them. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ray Jauch.  J.. a... u.. c... h.  At the time the USFL was offering up big contracts to players & coaches. Don't begrudge Ray for leaving when he was making twice as much money as he was making here. At least he quit when his contract was up. Unlike Jim Spavital who left the Riders in 1974 when he was their HC & GM while still under contract for the Chicago Fire when the World Football League started play a decade earlier. I was a Jim Spavital fan but he was wrong to do what he did.

BTW, it was Ray Jauch who is credited in changing Dieter Brock's game from a sprint out left & sprint out right qb to a player who could pick a defense apart in the pocket with his lightning quick release. Under Ray's tutelage, he learned to see the entire field with his reads & not just the side of the field he was sprinting to. We don't know what the Bombers may have accomplished under Jauch.  I don't share your it's "the best thing that ever happened to us" scenario. The Bombers brought in a lot of talent under Jauch & Paul Robson. They were destined to be a great team no matter if Cal Murphy or Ray Jauch coached them. 

One letter out. 30 year old memory. Damn good stats to me!

Well the guy who replaced Jauch never missed the playoffs and got us 6 GC appearance and 3 GC wins in what 14 years? Good times, never to be seen again.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I posted a link on random news because it really deals with the wider idea of sports investment though Vince loves football. 

There is speculation that the idea is gaining more steam because of Trump and that some right leaning networks/business might sign up and try to spin the whole anthem thing into a “patriotic” football league. 

Vince isn’t dumb with money usually though.   He has a lot but won’t self finance.  He was willing to do a second season of XFL but not without NBC. 

I also wonder if Shane might be involved as he previously pushed Vince to buy UFC and bellator. But Vince hates MMA. 

It could be part of a transition scheme too.  Vince moving away from day to day WWE to focus on personal projects but still around as chairman so the stock doesn’t dive under Hunter. It’s a real concern if Vince died tomorrow what would happen to the core business. 

Keep in mind also that Vince is the largest shareholder and collects huge dividend Chequers. He is very cash rich. 

That thing will be awash in losing money. If Trump endorses it, it'll be guaranteed to fail. Vince may be rich but he's not a fool. At least you'd think...

Ratings down. Attendance down. 

Im not talking WWE. Im talking NFL. 

Despite what some might say or think... A large portion of the American population is annoyed with the NFL and protests by its players. 

While i dont think XFL is returning i do think a UFL might be coming. And at this time with ppl legit turning the NFL off... It might work. 

Trump might not be well liked but... Players protesting the anthem is hurting the NFL BIG time right now and ppl are turning it off and staying home also. 

Edited by Goalie