The Star Wars Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

I'm def gonna go see it in the next couple of days, I'm a hopeless mark for most things Star Wars.  The only SW movie that was completely devoid of all enjoyment for me was Clones.  As much as I **** on Force Awakens, I was completely with it until the bad guys had yet another goddamn planet killer that needed to be blown up in the nick of time by snubfighters.  That **** was old in 1983 when Jedi repeated it, though jedi gets a big pass from me because the Luke/Vader/Palp scenes are so dope, they justify the lazy plotting and the ewoks.

Praying to baby yoda that yet-another-superweapon isn't the plot of Skywalker.   See you in the spoiler threads.

I think you’ll feel the same about this one as you did about return of the Jedi.  In a good way. 

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the non spoiler revenues I read are pretty spot on.  

it’s fast paced and doesn’t have much time to let things breath.  There is fan servicing but in my opinion, needed.   I feel like the film is a salvage project and makes TLJ look even worse in comparison.   

all the characters shine at points.  Fight scenes are cool.   They do answer a lot of questions though often without much explanation (and seems like lack of time was a factor).  

there are many plot contrivances.  Ie when they need a ship there is a ship. When they need help there is someone to do it.  But while that usually drives me nuts I kinda give JJ some slack because this is basically two films in one.  It’s fixing TLJ.  

Actors were all good.  Driver and Ridley especially.  And ofcourse Ian Mc.   There was genuinely some big emotional moments and some “yes so cool” moments.   A few things I’d change. But I’d go see it. If you liked TFA and hated TLJ go see it.  If you hated TFA you probably won’t like this one.  

The fight scenes deliver! 

3 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

So I’m a big Star Wars fan, but not 100% sure if I wanna see this one because the last Jedi may have ruined my love for it. Yes I think it was that bad. Is the new one worth seeing? 

Yes. Can't undo VIII but they try or just ignore it altogether. Go knowing that it's not perfect but it's perfectly good. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Its not like the trilogy bar was set high with Ep 6 and Ep 3.

Well yes and no. They have flaws, but there was a story that it was telling. Ep 7,8 have been all over the place, terrible story line, cheesy line, bad acting. I could go on and on about how the new ones are terrible, but the originals and sequels at least were connected together and told a good story. These new ones seem like more of an extension of something that didn’t need to be extended.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Spoiler-free hot take: for me, it wasn't as good as Rogue One, but it was easily the best of the modern Skywalker trilogy.

It knows who its audience is, and it serves them well.

Saw it today and will see it again. I had no intention of seeing TLJ twice, even on Netflix/Prime.

Only problem was I had a crappy sleep last night and actually missed part of it.

I really admire how some of you are  really into Star Wars & can dissect every film. This is when I feel old & even though I've seen every Star Wars since ANH in 1977 there is no way I can even enter into a discussion here. I feel like I'm on a stagecoach 150  years ago racing across the Nevada desert on my way to old San Francisco when it comes to this. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I really admire how some of you are  really into Star Wars & can dissect every film. This is when I feel old & even though I've seen every Star Wars since ANH in 1977 there is no way I can even enter into a discussion here. I feel like I'm on a stagecoach 150  years ago racing across the Nevada desert on my way to old San Francisco when it comes to this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagecoach_West_(TV_series)

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm always impressed here with the folks who can dissect football games at a level beyond "oh that touchdown was a good play!" which is where I'm at.  It's the exact same thing, just a different subject. 

Hope you enjoy the new film, Speedflex!

Edited by johnzo

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Gotta remember, a lot of us saw star wars as kids, and we all know how kids obsess over things. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Gotta remember, a lot of us saw star wars as kids, and we all know how kids obsess over things. 

Yeah, I was 22 when ANH came out in 77. We never saw anything like it. Before Star Wars, spaceships were held up by strings & rocket engine exhaust looked like smoke from a candle.

It was the Ewoks. later Jar Jar Binks.  They turned me off Star Wars. I remember storming out of the theatre in 1981 muttering WTF I just saw. Everytime I see an Ewok, I just want to kill them. Slowly. Fricking teddy bears. Then in the 90's they introduced Jar Jar Binks.  Just an annoying character. I stopped following the storyline at the time. I just go now to be entertained.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1977 was a huge year for me.  I was four years old.  The previous xmas my brothers had gotten Led Zeppelin's IV, Kiss's Destroyer, and Rush's 2112, so the soundtrack was set. The following summer I saw Star Wars, the first film I ever saw in a movie theater -- I grew up extremely rural and seeing a movie in a theater was a huge deal for my family.

As Palpatine would say, my destiny was set.  I was gonna be a heavy metal sci fi kid until the day I died.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’ll get flamed but I was always more into Star Trek than Star Wars.   Many of you might Consider the original trilogy a Christmas tradition as back in the days of limited channels they seemed to always play over the holidays.  That’s where I got to know them the most. 

I am as well. But Hollywood spoiled it with the Kelvin Universe. And now two Trek universes. Of which we have discussed.