FrostyWinnipeg

40 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed,

TESB

ROTJ

TFA

ROTS

R1

am I reading this correctly? A top 5 list that doesn't include A New Hope? 

So basically They're all good except I really hated The Last Jedi and Solo was just a useless movie that I found boring and uninteresting. So those two suck, the rest are fine. Yeah even the prequels. They're not the greatest things ever and they got lots of cringe in them, but they're way way better than the **** that Rian Johnson smeared on the screen with his attempt at subverting expectations. What an asshat that guy is. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

am I reading this correctly? A top 5 list that doesn't include A New Hope? 

Yeah... It just doesn't hold that nostalgia spot for me... it's odd. I feel it should be higher, but I just can't convince myself that it is better than tfa, R1 or ROTS.. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

32 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe they should of got the guys who wrote and the same director of Rogue One to do the new trilogy. I don't understand the love for Rian Johnson and why they went with him?

On paper it wasn’t a bad idea. They had this theory that they’d be a film maker driven thing with all these hot directors. But solo turned out to be a disaster.  They had signed rian to do his own trilogy before they saw TLJ. They directed the director of 9 before convincing JJ to come back

Someone posted that they think lucasfilm over reacted to some complaints that TFA was too similar to ANH so they let rian have free reign. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

On paper it wasn’t a bad idea. They had this theory that they’d be a film maker driven thing with all these hot directors. But solo turned out to be a disaster.  They had signed rian to do his own trilogy before they saw TLJ. They directed the director of 9 before convincing JJ to come back

Someone posted that they think lucasfilm over reacted to some complaints that TFA was too similar to ANH so they let rian have free reign. 

TFA was a remake of ANH :)

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It’s how the saga should be. Related and familiar. They have plenty of other stories to tell they can be different.  

Its why rogue one was good (feels like it fits into the saga) and solo wasn’t (didn’t feel like it belonged). 

Solo had such a bad ending IMHO.

On 2019-04-18 at 11:34 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

We all wanted to see Luke kick ass.  Had the scene where he projected himself actually been real....wow. And have him crushing walkers with his force powers etc.  That’s all we wanted. 

Luke did exactly the same thing that Obi-Wan did at the end of Star Wars.  He sacrificed himself while using the Force to trick and distract his opponent and enabled the next generation of heroes to get away. Totally a classic old Jedi thing to do. 

Jedis are supposed to use the Force to defend -- never to attack.  The one time we saw the Jedi going on the offense as warriors and generals was the Clone Wars.  How did that turn out for them?

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Luke did exactly the same thing that Obi-Wan did at the end of Star Wars.  He sacrificed himself while using the Force to trick and distract his opponent and enabled the next generation of heroes to get away. Totally a classic old Jedi thing to do. 

Jedis are supposed to use the Force to defend -- never to attack.  The one time we saw the Jedi going on the offense as warriors and generals was the Clone Wars.  How did that turn out for them?

And if we had seen the prequels before a new hole we’d have been terribly disappointed in the way Ben went out. 

Had luke actually appeared he’d have still been defending. Much like he did in return of the Jedi when he killed a bunch of guys on tatoine. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And if we had seen the prequels before a new hole we’d have been terribly disappointed in the way Ben went out.

Maybe the reason I thought TLJ was a decent movie was because I don't remember the prequels that well.  Seemed like a sensible move to try to forget them. :)

Edited by johnzo

Anyway, enough trolling out of me, I thought TLJ was weird and decent but I can understand how it might frustrate people who want different things from Star Wars than I do.

The thing I am stoked for now is The Mandalorian.  The cast looks great: Pedro Pascal (the Red Viper from GOT) in the lead role, with Carl Weathers, Nick Nolte, Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad) and Werner Herzog as an old Imperial slimebag.

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

Anyway, enough trolling out of me, I thought TLJ was weird and decent but I can understand how it might frustrate people who want different things from Star Wars than I do.

The thing I am stoked for now is The Mandalorian.  The cast looks great: Pedro Pascal (the Red Viper from GOT) in the lead role, with Carl Weathers, Nick Nolte, Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad) and Werner Herzog as an old Imperial slimebag.

I think what increases people’s unhappiness (for me) is how rian Johnson basically admitted to throwing out Jj’s story and wanting to turn things on their head.  Not a responsible thing to do for the middle film of a trilogy. 

Agreed. Looking forward to Mandalorian. Hopefully we get Disney ASAP 

Yeah the biggest issue with TLJ was that they clearly set up plot points in TFA and then just completely disregarded them in the following movie. You just can't do that. If you are making a sequel you have to follow the story laid out in the first movie. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the biggest issue with TLJ was that they clearly set up plot points in TFA and then just completely disregarded them in the following movie. You just can't do that. If you are making a sequel you have to follow the story laid out in the first movie. 

Should have just coaxed JJ to do all three.  

From the trailer, kylo has his repaired mask back and Rey has Anakin’s repaired saber back. When it split apart in TLJ that was another groaner for me. I understand the symbolism but Rian really disrespected its importance with like throwing it away and then breaking it. 

As I recall the original scripted beginning to TFA was luke’s Dismembered hand, still clutching anakin’s saber floating through space before being retrieved by someone. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Rian Johnson is simply a self important douchenozzle. Guy thinks he's better than doing what everyone expects, but if you're making Star Wars the point is that you gotta give the fans what they want. You want to go subvert expectations go make your own movie and don't **** all over beloved characters and movies. 

Worst part is, he was given his own trilogy so he could have done whatever there.  

Hopefully they fired him. 

I’m looking forward to the knights of the old republic trilogy by the GoT show runners though. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’m looking forward to the knights of the old republic trilogy by the GoT show runners though. 

Except they're a coupe of hacks too. Without material from George RR Martin their show quality dropped off the face of the earth and they just tried to have big shocking moments to carry the show. I stopped watching after I guess it was season 4, maybe 5 because it was just crap compared to what it was when they had the books to follow. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Except they're a coupe of hacks too. Without material from George RR Martin their show quality dropped off the face of the earth and they just tried to have big shocking moments to carry the show. I stopped watching after I guess it was season 4, maybe 5 because it was just crap compared to what it was when they had the books to follow. 

2z864z.jpg

JK man- you should check out the last few seasons- they have been pretty good. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

49 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

2z864z.jpg

JK man- you should check out the last few seasons- they have been pretty good. 

I will watch them when Martin either finishes the books (I read the first one like a year after it was published so I been very, very patient) or he kicks the bucket, whichever comes first. I'm not letting the HBO clowns ruin any potential spoilers for the vastly superior books. 

44 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I will watch them when Martin either finishes the books (I read the first one like a year after it was published so I been very, very patient) or he kicks the bucket, whichever comes first. I'm not letting the HBO clowns ruin any potential spoilers for the vastly superior books. 

I was under the impression Martin told HBO how he intends to finish the books so they could wrap the show up similarly.

I can’t judge the books. I could never read them. . 

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was under the impression Martin told HBO how he intends to finish the books so they could wrap the show up similarly.

In general terms, problem is the books are massive sprawling things and the show had to cut characters and consolidate roles. The end might be the same but how they get there is wildly different.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He recently confirmed the ending will be the same for both the show & the books.

I know a lot of people who have trouble with the books (same with Tolkien stuff), and I always recommend they try the audiobook versions if they can.