The Star Wars Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Does anyone think the negative reaction to Solo was because Luke was killed off in the Last Jedi? I know I wasn't happy about it with Solo & Carrie Fisher (Leia) now dead. 

Killing off Luke was not the worst part of TLJ. Don't think it even counts as bad.

Dunno what happened to Solo. Burn out maybe. Production problems maybe. Last Jedi complaints maybe. Pumping out movies has not hurt Marvel/Disney.

The reviews were okay. It's a Star Wars movie, you'd think 1b no prob. Puts a hold on Boba Fett or Obi-Wan movies until results of SW9.

Then there is RJ's new trilogy which is still in the works?!?

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I don't know about that... for me personally, my biggest issue with making this movie is that it didn't really add a whole lot.  

We already essentially knew how it would play out so other than the novelty of seeing a shiny new Falcon and showing how Han and Chewy meet, what else was there?

How Han and Lando met? How Han and Jabba met? How the Falcon set a speed record.

Not seen the movie but guessing all 3 were in that.

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

How Han and Lando met? How Han and Jabba met? How the Falcon set a speed record.

Not seen the movie but guessing all 3 were in that.

Pretty much... one of those is only hinted at in the movie but you know exactly what it means.

Four things that I ner liked about Star Wars over the years...

1. Ewoks.  I wish all those stupid little teddy bears would have been killed off.  Almost turned me off SW back in 1981.

2. Jar Jar Binks. Like the Ewoks, the character was created for little kids. 

3. Death of Hans Solo but understand why Harrison Ford wanted it done.

4. Death of Luke Skywalker. Almost the last straw for me & a lot of fans. 

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So nobody read my link....  even though some fans are not happy with the newer trilogy... the Lucas idea was batshit insane and would of killed the franchise completely. 

I haven't but I will read it. I agree with you about Lucas as Star Wars did seem to lose it's way with Return Of The Jedi & the Ewoks. The franchise changed from sci for adults to fantasy for kids to sell more merchandise. I'll read the link to see what Lucas' plan was. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So nobody read my link....  even though some fans are not happy with the newer trilogy... the Lucas idea was batshit insane and would of killed the franchise completely. 

I read it but couldn't find a meme that completely captured my utter dismay! 

I'm just very glad that he sold when he did.  That idea would have been a franchise killer.

This reminds me of Fantastic Voyage. Where scientists are shrunk down to destroy I believe a blood clot inside an important scientist by shrinking down & using a submarine  that travels thru the bloodstream. They battle white blood cells & machrophages.  It was filmed in 1966 so Lucas may have borrowed the idea from that film.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Four things that I ner liked about Star Wars over the years...

1. Ewoks.  I wish all those stupid little teddy bears would have been killed off.  Almost turned me off SW back in 1981.

Ewoks were originally supposed to be wookies.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/307-days-until-star-wars-before-ewoks-lucas-planned-to-use-wookiees-against-the-empire/amp/

How awesome would that have been?

I don't think it's star wars burn out.  I think it's more what happened in the Last Jedi and people losing faith in Lucasfilm.  I mean, they had a chance to make the Last Jedi amazing and they blew it.  Also, going back in time and changing the actors that are playing characters that have become beloved to most, a lot of people don't want their image of Han ruined (not that this ruined it).  And for some, the whole director change up and reshooting.  That killed it for them.  If they hadn't have had to reshoot most of the movie, I'm sure they would have made some money from this.

I really liked the movie, I thought it was way more entertaining than TLJ, and I hope they get to do a continuation to it (whether it's a Solo movie or something different).

9 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I don't think it's star wars burn out.  I think it's more what happened in the Last Jedi and people losing faith in Lucasfilm.  I mean, they had a chance to make the Last Jedi amazing and they blew it.  Also, going back in time and changing the actors that are playing characters that have become beloved to most, a lot of people don't want their image of Han ruined (not that this ruined it).  And for some, the whole director change up and reshooting.  That killed it for them.  If they hadn't have had to reshoot most of the movie, I'm sure they would have made some money from this.

I really liked the movie, I thought it was way more entertaining than TLJ, and I hope they get to do a continuation to it (whether it's a Solo movie or something different).

I think part of it is the identity of what they want these films to be.  A young Solo film always struck me as a bad idea because you have to replicate what Harrison Ford brought to the character.  The casting was poor.  I didnt hate Aiden and Im sure some of it was how he was directed but nothing about him seemed familiar as Solo.  Whereas Anthony Ingruber would have been really fun to see in the role because he seems so much more like a young Ford.

I think the anthology films that take place during the saga should be in support of the saga.  Like Rogue One.  Solo was so far removed from the saga, it just...I dont know, it didnt seem to tell us anything.  And I think they chickened out on showing us a truly rogue-ish unprincipled Han which was hinted at in A New Hope.  Han in Solo seemed as much of a good guy as he did in Return of the jedi.  Then you've got the issue of fans buying Solo having a love of his life that isnt Leia.   That love story just isnt going to work.

I think the story would have worked better if Han was more of a bad guy, maybe gets pulled into something where he helps the good guys but purely for monetary gain.  He can even be implored to join the rebels and he blows it off saying there is nothing that would ever get him into that fight.   Have him be a womanizer who sleeps around, breaking hearts and saying simply he'd never stay in one place and would never fall in love.  Show us a character that is so different that the incredible circumstances he finds himself in in A New Hope is what changes him.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think part of it is the identity of what they want these films to be.  A young Solo film always struck me as a bad idea because you have to replicate what Harrison Ford brought to the character.  The casting was poor.  I didnt hate Aiden and Im sure some of it was how he was directed but nothing about him seemed familiar as Solo.  Whereas Anthony Ingruber would have been really fun to see in the role because he seems so much more like a young Ford.

I think the anthology films that take place during the saga should be in support of the saga.  Like Rogue One.  Solo was so far removed from the saga, it just...I dont know, it didnt seem to tell us anything.  And I think they chickened out on showing us a truly rogue-ish unprincipled Han which was hinted at in A New Hope.  Han in Solo seemed as much of a good guy as he did in Return of the jedi.  Then you've got the issue of fans buying Solo having a love of his life that isnt Leia.   That love story just isnt going to work.

I think the story would have worked better if Han was more of a bad guy, maybe gets pulled into something where he helps the good guys but purely for monetary gain.  He can even be implored to join the rebels and he blows it off saying there is nothing that would ever get him into that fight.   Have him be a womanizer who sleeps around, breaking hearts and saying simply he'd never stay in one place and would never fall in love.  Show us a character that is so different that the incredible circumstances he finds himself in in A New Hope is what changes him.

Just remember, this is him at the beginning of his career.  He's just starting to become a rogue, and we see at the end of Solo when he shoots Woody's character without a second thought that he's going down that path.  I think there plan was to make more then one Solo movie and show how he turns into the jaded smuggler we know.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 7:41 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

For me, killing off Luke pissed me off. Especially after killing off Han last year. Then  Carrie Fisher died. I just think it was a lousy idea. Enough that I wasn't interested in seeing Solo. 

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah, I would totally sign on for this.  It will never happen but I'd sign on for it.  That movie was just butchered IMO.  There are good moments, but ultimately the characters just didn't act like themselves.  I mean, who sits there sulking by themselves for 6 years?  Someone who was the beacon of hope in his youth, and he just chucks it away and doesn't even try and help his own sister?  That's not Luke.  I get what Rian was trying to do by saying that he wasn't the golden boy everyone thought he was.  Except that he was.  We saw the films.  They are canon.  And he was as amazing as he seemed.  Yes, the Jedi became egotistical, but he should have been the change.

I had a feeling Rian was going to wreck the movie.  I never did like Looper that much and was weary them giving a director with barely anything under his belt this large franchise.

10 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah, I would totally sign on for this.  It will never happen but I'd sign on for it.  That movie was just butchered IMO.  There are good moments, but ultimately the characters just didn't act like themselves.  I mean, who sits there sulking by themselves for 6 years?  Someone who was the beacon of hope in his youth, and he just chucks it away and doesn't even try and help his own sister?  That's not Luke.  I get what Rian was trying to do by saying that he wasn't the golden boy everyone thought he was.  Except that he was.  We saw the films.  They are canon.  And he was as amazing as he seemed.  Yes, the Jedi became egotistical, but he should have been the change.

I had a feeling Rian was going to wreck the movie.  I never did like Looper that much and was weary them giving a director with barely anything under his belt this large franchise.

And why would anyone event want to make Luke a "non golden boy" anyway?  Ridiculous.  Sure, Yoda went into exile, which was sort of stupid but we could at least buy that the Jedi were defeated by the Sith and Yoda's plan for eventual victory relied on being around to train Luke and/or Leia.  Even if we buy Luke was so distraught over Ben that he'd want to exile himself, he'd never, ever abandon his sister and the cause to The First Order.  He just wouldn't.  And unlike Yoda, there was no plan to lie in wait for the next "Chosen One".  It just made no sense.

Rian's lack of interest in Snoke...he clearly got a kick out of just killing the bad guy with no explanation and thats what really brought the story down like a house of cards.  TFA set up some really interesting stories that hinted at connections to the Saga (Snoke, who is Rey, where is Luke etc).  Rian crapped on all of them.

The idea of Snoke as Darth Plagius might seem too much like fan servicing, but the idea worked because it connected the sequels, in a way, to the prequels.  For me, the problem with the story is, Episodes 1-6 are one story and 7-9 dont seem to fit at all.  If the happy ending of Jedi is being negated, you have to tell us why & how.

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And why would anyone event want to make Luke a "non golden boy" anyway?  Ridiculous.  Sure, Yoda went into exile, which was sort of stupid but we could at least buy that the Jedi were defeated by the Sith and Yoda's plan for eventual victory relied on being around to train Luke and/or Leia.  Even if we buy Luke was so distraught over Ben that he'd want to exile himself, he'd never, ever abandon his sister and the cause to The First Order.  He just wouldn't.  And unlike Yoda, there was no plan to lie in wait for the next "Chosen One".  It just made no sense.

Rian's lack of interest in Snoke...he clearly got a kick out of just killing the bad guy with no explanation and thats what really brought the story down like a house of cards.  TFA set up some really interesting stories that hinted at connections to the Saga (Snoke, who is Rey, where is Luke etc).  Rian crapped on all of them.

The idea of Snoke as Darth Plagius might seem too much like fan servicing, but the idea worked because it connected the sequels, in a way, to the prequels.  For me, the problem with the story is, Episodes 1-6 are one story and 7-9 dont seem to fit at all.  If the happy ending of Jedi is being negated, you have to tell us why & how.

Exactly.  Yoda had a purpose of being in exile.  He was too old and would never be able to get close to Palpatine again.  So he was waiting for Luke or Leia.  The only reason I don't place TFA below the prequals is because it actually had decent acting (except for Hux, who Rian turned into a total buffoon for his shitty plotline).

4 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Exactly.  Yoda had a purpose of being in exile.  He was too old and would never be able to get close to Palpatine again.  So he was waiting for Luke or Leia.  The only reason I don't place TFA below the prequals is because it actually had decent acting (except for Hux, who Rian turned into a total buffoon for his shitty plotline).

Thats also a good point in that Palps would never allow a Jedi near him again (presumably).  It took Luke, who Palps wanted to turn, to be able to get close to him.

The originals had such a great message.  You had Yoda & Obi-Wan who both wanted Luke to be trained to kill Vader and never intended to tell him that Vader was his father.  In fact, they lied to him to make him angry and want revenge.  Luke won by being the strongest in faith, not the strongest in pure power.  It always seemed to me that the Jedi became victims of their own arrogance and self-righteousness.  Luke represented a new type of Jedi, one that could be emotional, love people etc and had a different relationship with the Force.

One could argue Luke was shades of grey in that he didnt agree with many of the Jedi teachings and that he believed there was good in even the darkest person.  Thats the story I wanted to see in the sequels.  I LOVED how TFA started.  The opening line "Luke Skywalker is missing".  It set the tone...it made Luke the focal point without even being in the movie.  They needed a really good reason for him to be in exile and they didnt come up with one.  Thats the problem.

The idea Luke would strike down Ben is so idiotically stupid.  That he would then flee.  That he would turn against his Jedi values.  And keep in mind, as much as he wanted to burn it all to the ground, the second Yoda did just that, Luke changed his mind,.  So he didnt really believe it, he was just acting like a brat.

When Yoda appeared, I actually thought we'd get Obi Wan and Anakin too.  I thought, Yoda appeared first to talk sense into Luke but he blows him off.  Then Ben, but he blows him off and then finally Anakin who gets through to him and Luke makes a triumphant return.  Luke then goes to help (for real, not just force vision) and shows us how powerful he is...but the message he gives to Rey is that power alone wont beat the dark side...so you see Luke just ripping Walker's apart with the Force and whatever but his point is, sure, I can do that, but thats not how you beat the Dark Side.

Mark Hamill comments on the difference between Lucas and Disney:

“Remember, George had an overall arc [in the original trilogy]. If he didn’t have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the three were going. But this one’s more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes. Rian didn’t write what happens in 9 – he was going to hand it off to, originally, Colin Trevorrow and now J.J.”

Spot on as usual.  I made the point before that I absolutely couldnt believe when LucasFilm said their directors had creative freedom to write the stories they wanted.  How can you tell a cohesive story like that?  I think LucasFilm thought they were being cool by announcing all these "hot" or "edgy" directors working on Star Wars but its been a plethora of problems.  Had JJ been given the entire trilogy, we'd have a completely different story being told.

Not only does TLJ not feel connected to TFA, the sequels dont feel connected to the Saga.  While the prequels were very different from the originals, you can watch all six and feel a long story is being told.  But now, it feels like a six episode story ended with Return of the Jedi and an entirely new one began with TFA.  Very disjointed.

Its why I felt LucasFilm should not have been afraid to make Snoke Darth Plagius.  Im sure they wanted to avoid doing the "fanboy" thing, but it would have connected the sequels to the rest of the saga in a very loose way (you'd still have to flesh the character out and explain his actions during Palps reign). 

And when Kylo says to Vaders mask in TFA "show me AGAIN grandfather", the implication is he's been communing with Darth Vader (and apparently not a redeemed Anakin).  The obvious thing would be that Vader appearing to Kylo is a Dark Side trick perpetrated by Snoke which would feed into the story of the Dark Side's promise of power being an illusion.  And that the Skywalkers are not just important but dangerous...you essentially have two that were seduced by the dark side and two that werent. 

Anyway...I could complain about The Last Jedi forever...(and probably will).