The Airline Thread

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thought I'd slip this into the Airline Thread.

Im going to Cancun next week, first time to Mexico.  Anyone have any pointers?  I want to see some sights but have opted not to pre-book.  I hear you can book excursions either through the hotel or often kiosks on the street are cheaper.  Im tempted to go to Chichen Itza even though its basically an all day thing, but I figure when will i get the chance to see it again...and if it includes a Cenote and some local shops, why not.  Other possibility is Talum which is somewhat closer and on the coast (beautiful view, it looks like).

Anyone have any excursions or things they recommend or dont recommend?  Thinking Coco Bongo's maybe one night too...expensive but sounds like a cool experience.  Also, this might seem goofy, but might see Star Wars there so I dont have to avoid spoilers until I get back...looks like they have a "VIP" theatre at the mall.

Spent two weeks in the Yucatan exploring a few years back based out of a straw hut on the beach in Tulum,  avoided Cancun like the plague that it is.  The Tulum ruins are  small and picturesque but easily covered in an hour or two, Chichen Itza is the real deal and will consume an entire day, amazing site.  Be sure to watch Mel Gibson's Apocalypto before you go.  If you want to spend time in a real Mexican city visit Merida for a day or two which will give you a non-tourist perspective of life in Mexico.  Merida also puts you within reach of Uxmal  which is another amazing Mayan site. 

Fantastic area for snorkeling,  I'd highly recommend the Xel-Ha water park which is a freshwater inlet just north of Tulum on the coast, amazing fish habitat.  Also liked Playa del Carmen and Cozumel for a day or two each.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Unknown Poster -   Definitely research the excursion companies before heading out...   trip advisor usually has some good reviews if you can sift through the fake reviews that the companies put out.      I made the mistake once of booking an excursion at the resort and it was a complete bust and waste of a day.     I usually always find the name of the companies and check out the reviews and then book with the travel coordinator who represents Air Canada/West Jet or whatever company you are flying down with.  

Also good luck,  Cancun and Playa Del Carmen is a lot of fun and so many things you can do.   If you are into snorkelling,  everyone in my extended family including myself have bought our snorkelling gear from Costco and they work really well.  

From my memory of Playa Del Carmen,   I remember the only complaints from fellow tourists was one of the ruins was a 4 hour drive away so it kind of killed the day.  Lots of walking also.  

I did go on a great zip line,  cenote, snorkelling, jungle adventure excursion that was well worth the money... I'll PM the company name when I get home as it was a lot of fun and only took a half a day.

• 1 month later...

I meant to chime back in on this thread. I finally booked my first ever trip with that Flair/NewLeaf airline. We'll see how she goes. Coming back in March for CFL Week/ice fishing/my birthday....should be a time. I've always said, I don't need any amenities....if someone can fly me home and back to AB again for under 200 bucks, they can duct tape me to the floor of the plane...

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I meant to chime back in on this thread. I finally booked my first ever trip with that Flair/NewLeaf airline. We'll see how she goes. Coming back in March for CFL Week/ice fishing/my birthday....should be a time. I've always said, I don't need any amenities....if someone can fly me home and back to AB again for under 200 bucks, they can duct tape me to the floor of the plane...

how much for the wing?

• 4 weeks later...

Coupon code expires today, sale on until March 4th. Usually the best deal of the year for WestJet.

WestJet is 22 years old and, to celebrate, we're having a massive sale! Now's your chance to save big on flights to Canada, the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. Plus, on top of amazing sale fares, get an extra 22% off Econo base fares – today only. Happy Birthday to us, happy savings to you!
Sale ends: March 4, 2018 (11:59 p.m. MT)
Travel: March 19 - July 12 and August 20 - October 27, 2018
Note the gap between July 12 and August 20

22% off Econo Base fares coupon code
Coupon code offer ends: February 28, 2018 (9:59 p.m. MT)*
Coupon code: QQSLBWM

Blackout dates (for coupon code and sale):
Canada: March 22-23, 25, 29-30, April 2, May 17-18, 21, June 28-29, July 2, August 30-31, September 3, October 4-5, 8, 2018
U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe: March 22-25, 29-31, April 2, May 17-19, 21, June 28-30, July 2, August 30-September 1, 3, October 4-6, 8, 2018

• 2 weeks later...

World wide issue. Causing lots of problems including some cancelled flight and a lot of delays. Some passengers report manual check on others say not being checked in at all. Others say they are onboard but sitting and waiting. 

If the delay goes on long enough flight crew work hours will come into play too. Ouch

On 06/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, Atomic said:

I would definitely recommend Coco Bongo's.  I had never seen anything like it before I went.

I'm not a big fan of sightseeing so I can't recommend any of those types of excursions.  I hate sitting on a bus all day just to go stand 500 meters away from some pyramid and take a couple pictures.  Local shops are usually just handcrafted junk.

Last time I was in Cancun I went to a place called Xplor park... ziplining, ATV driving, etc.  I thought that was pretty fun.  The underground rafting was shitty though.  Ziplining was the best part even though it scared the hell out of me.

Ha ha I had friends who were thrown out of Coco Bongos. They called it Coco Gongshow.

• 1 year later...
On 2019-08-31 at 1:17 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

OMG that's so stupid.  I've never even looked at my seat belt before.  I didn't even know it said lift.  Seriously, how stupid are you to not know how to pop open the seat belt.  That's just a money grab right there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-air-canada-air-transat-porter-air-passenger-regulations-fines-cta-1.5270705

WestJet, Air Canada, Air Transat and Porter Airlines have been hit with fines totalling $45,000 for failing to properly display notices about passenger rights at various Canadian airports.

The fines are the first monetary penalties the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has doled out to airlines for violating the new federal Air Passenger Protection Regulations, the first phase of which took effect on July 15.  

• 2 weeks later...