The Airline Thread

I have a question for frequent flyers but I figured I'd make a general Airline thread for discussion, reviews etc.

I fly every year or so and am fine (more or less).  But Im flying in 10 days with a friend (no really this is for my friend) who is very large (wide, not tall).  She sort of freaked me out to day by saying "hopefully I fit and they let me fly).  Now, she has flown twice before.  The first time was in the first class designation on Air Transat and the second was Air Canada.  She flew WPG to TO in a regular seat she described as "tight" and then the premium from there which she said was roomy.  She required a seat belt extender in all cases.

We are flying Westjet and are currently booked into Economy.  Im a sucker for a Window seat so I did pay for seat selection and the Westjet person originally booked us into a Window and an Aisle with the idea most flights are not full and someone wont take the middle. But Westjet changed our outbound flight from direct to connecting in TO and on the TO to Mexico leg we have Window and Middle.  Im considering upgrading to Plus if its available at check in but on Westjet 737, that eliminates the third passenger but does nothing for the width.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone flight West Jet plus?

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you're sitting beside the person you should be okay with the seat divider lifted back.

Thanks @FrostyWinnipegthats what I was thinking to.  We'll probably keep the Aisle/Window assignments we have on the Wpg-TO and Mexico-WPG legs but if someone does get stuck between us, we can offer to switch.  Im tall-ish (6'2") and big-ish but I generally dont have issues myself.

My girlfriend who is actually quite tiny flew to Amsterdam a few years ago via KML and she was so cramped in their econo seats she actually upgraded to a plus seat on the flight home (and she's also notoriously cheap).

I had one smaller plane coming home from Vegas a few year ago.  It was still a Westjet 737 but an older one I guess, and it felt cramped.  Looks like we're scheduled for all 737-800's so hopefully decent aircraft.

anyone taken NewLeaf or whatever it's called now? The super no-frills airline? I'm going to be booking a couple flights home next year, and I'm stoked that it's super cheap ($120 RT from Edmonton-Winnipeg-Edmonton) but wondering if anyone has any direct experience with them...

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

anyone taken NewLeaf or whatever it's called now? The super no-frills airline? I'm going to be booking a couple flights home next year, and I'm stoked that it's super cheap ($120 RT from Edmonton-Winnipeg-Edmonton) but wondering if anyone has any direct experience with them...

They got some cheaper flights then that. Bookmark http://www.ywgdeals.com/

On 12/2/2017 at 3:11 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

We should have the Bitching About Airlines thread as that would be fun. 

Have at 'er!

Im really easy going.  I usually fly WestJet when its my choice and always have a good time.  My parents prefer Air Canada so in 2014 we did a Family vacation and did Air Canada.  It was really good too.  We were on a couple of small prop plans and they were spacious.

The funny thing on that trip was, one of the routes, I think Quebec to Montreal, it was a small plane.  Before we boarded they were asking for two people to switch to a later flight.  No takers.  They offered something ( I cant recall what).  One guy was in a party of 3 and offered to switch if they extended the offer to all three of them but AC said no.  They delayed us and basically said no one was boarding until two people volunteered to switch to a later flight.  If it was just me, I'd have done so as it was no big deal.  Finally, they pick two people and switch them.

We board the plane and its less than half full.  So Im thinking they had an engine issue or some massive cargo.  Last guy to board gets on the the flight attendant says 'feel free to sit anywhere'.  But then comes up to him and says "as long as it's on the right side of the plane".  So Im thinking, wait, this 170lb guy needs to sit on a specific side of a nearly empty plane?  Ended up being a fine flight but I was curious as to what the issue was.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Have at 'er!

Im really easy going.  I usually fly WestJet when its my choice and always have a good time.  My parents prefer Air Canada so in 2014 we did a Family vacation and did Air Canada.  It was really good too.  We were on a couple of small prop plans and they were spacious.

The funny thing on that trip was, one of the routes, I think Quebec to Montreal, it was a small plane.  Before we boarded they were asking for two people to switch to a later flight.  No takers.  They offered something ( I cant recall what).  One guy was in a party of 3 and offered to switch if they extended the offer to all three of them but AC said no.  They delayed us and basically said no one was boarding until two people volunteered to switch to a later flight.  If it was just me, I'd have done so as it was no big deal.  Finally, they pick two people and switch them.

We board the plane and its less than half full.  So Im thinking they had an engine issue or some massive cargo.  Last guy to board gets on the the flight attendant says 'feel free to sit anywhere'.  But then comes up to him and says "as long as it's on the right side of the plane".  So Im thinking, wait, this 170lb guy needs to sit on a specific side of a nearly empty plane?  Ended up being a fine flight but I was curious as to what the issue was.

I've had this happen on a least 2 past flights; both shorter trips / smaller planes.

...I always think, geez if the safety of this flight is dependent on where my 170 lbs frame goes - we're in trouble! ;) 

Couple more airline stories:

- Im a nervous flyer (havent flown too often and my mom is a VERY nervous flyer).  I flew when I was 3 years old and didnt know any different so no biggie.  Fast forward, Im 14 and doing a family vacation to California.  Air Canada.  Plan is Winnipeg-Calgary-Los Angeles.  Just out of Winnipeg we suddenly turn around for a "technical issue".  My mom is freaking.  By the time we get back in the air we will have missed our connection in Calgary (I had the chance to visit the cockpit and asked the pilot why we turned around and he said the Stall Warning was coming on but they werent stalling). 

In Calgary, we can either wait several hours and fly direct to LA or get an earlier flight, but on Delta, and connect through Salt Lake City and arrive in LA earlier.  Well, we opt for the Salt Lake option.  We get to Salt Lake and three successive aircrafts have issues.  We didnt end up landing until nearly 13 hours late.

- Coming back from Las Vegas last year on WestJet.  We get to Vegas airport early as usual and after awhile decide to grab some dinner before the flight.  I can see our gate from the restaurant.  Suddenly, I hear an announcement and see people lining up...but way too early.  I walk over to find out the Captain wants to leave early, like 40 minute early.  Great!  So our food hasnt even arrived.  It finally does and we're wolfing it down.    I run back to the gate and the agent says there are 4 people left (we're 2 of them).  So I run back, we eat what we can and throw the rest away and run back to the gate.

We board and get comfy thinking we're going to get home nice and early.  Captain comes on and says "we're waiting for FIFTEEN more people" and if they get on board early we'll leave early.  If not, he'll have to wait.  Well...we waited and ended up leaving ten minutes late.  My buddy is still complaining about not finishing his food. lol

Bonus story - 2008, first time I'd flown in awhile.  Me and a buddy going to Vegas.  We're at cruising altitude and a little old lady walks up to the Flight Attendant and asks where the bathroom is.  The FA was busy and sort of generally waived "over there".  The old lady turns around and reached, with both hands, for the main airplane door handle.  Both my buddy and I are micro-seconds away from doing a front flip and tackling the old bird before the FA grabs her and leads her to the bathroom.

Also, Sunwing has a bad rep.  Flew them once to Jamaica and back and they were great.

Flew back from Portland, OR direct to Calgary on Air Canada last Sunday evening. It was a Bombardier commercial prop that maybe held around 100 passengers. Full to the brim & cramped. Packed like sardines in this little frigging plane. as far as carry on luggage anything bigger than a back pack won't fit in the overhead luggage containers.  You could tell everyone hated it from all the snide remarks that were being said just loud enough so the flight attendants could hear. Not that they could have done anything. I've flown AC from YYC to & from Portland a number of times & I hate it more & more each time. I'd much prefer West Jet but they only have seasonal flights to Portland. It was off season. WJ does the same thing to San Francisco. Just seasonal flights from April to November. Whenever I flew WJ to SFO from YYC the jet was always full. Don't know why they can't fly year round into both places. 

Hit turbulence in 2006 on an AC flight from Toronto to Orlando. We had flown in from Calgary. It was Spring Break & our family was flying to Disney World for a week. We were 4.5 hours late leaving Toronto at 11:45 pm or some ridiculous time. There were many delays & the plane was icing up. I just remember we left Toronto at the time we were supposed to arrive in Orlando. We encountered turbulence almost from the time we left Toronto as we had to fly thru a freezing rain/rain, thunder/lightning/snow/blizzard in Toronto & the hit thunderstorms halfway to Orlando. The turbulence was Star Trek like. The worst I ever experienced & it never really let up until we were flying over Jacksonville.  At first the turbulence was scary. After awhile it becomes a nuisance & you're just resigned to having to go through it. Finally, I just got angry & kept saying to myself, "Is that all you got??? BRING IT!!!" as we got tossed around in the sky. Got to Orlando something like 4:30 am & drove to the hotel. Just to make it even better, when we left the airport with our rental, we turned the wrong way out of the airport on the highway & had to go many klms before we could turn around. Got to our hotel about 6:30 am. The night clerk just looked at us all exhausted & said, "Oh, you actually made it!!" We slept till about 1 pm & then went out. Oh & one last thing. Did I mention that AC wouldn't let us leave the plane at all once we boarded? Nope stuck on that stifling aircraft for hours not allowed to  leave.  What a flight from Hell. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When we get de-iced but have to wait, I always think 'how long can we wait before we need to de-ice again?'.  But I also watch Mayday religiously so Im pretty sure I can handle the plane in a pinch.  It's always a stall and you should never throttle back!  Nose down! Nose down!

Just me but when myself or a family member has to fly I don't watch Mayday for a couple of weeks before. #superstitious

Thought I'd slip this into the Airline Thread.

Im going to Cancun next week, first time to Mexico.  Anyone have any pointers?  I want to see some sights but have opted not to pre-book.  I hear you can book excursions either through the hotel or often kiosks on the street are cheaper.  Im tempted to go to Chichen Itza even though its basically an all day thing, but I figure when will i get the chance to see it again...and if it includes a Cenote and some local shops, why not.  Other possibility is Talum which is somewhat closer and on the coast (beautiful view, it looks like).

Anyone have any excursions or things they recommend or dont recommend?  Thinking Coco Bongo's maybe one night too...expensive but sounds like a cool experience.  Also, this might seem goofy, but might see Star Wars there so I dont have to avoid spoilers until I get back...looks like they have a "VIP" theatre at the mall.

I would definitely recommend Coco Bongo's.  I had never seen anything like it before I went.

I'm not a big fan of sightseeing so I can't recommend any of those types of excursions.  I hate sitting on a bus all day just to go stand 500 meters away from some pyramid and take a couple pictures.  Local shops are usually just handcrafted junk.

Last time I was in Cancun I went to a place called Xplor park... ziplining, ATV driving, etc.  I thought that was pretty fun.  The underground rafting was shitty though.  Ziplining was the best part even though it scared the hell out of me.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thought I'd slip this into the Airline Thread.

Im going to Cancun next week, first time to Mexico.  Anyone have any pointers?  I want to see some sights but have opted not to pre-book.  I hear you can book excursions either through the hotel or often kiosks on the street are cheaper.  Im tempted to go to Chichen Itza even though its basically an all day thing, but I figure when will i get the chance to see it again...and if it includes a Cenote and some local shops, why not.  Other possibility is Talum which is somewhat closer and on the coast (beautiful view, it looks like).

Anyone have any excursions or things they recommend or dont recommend?  Thinking Coco Bongo's maybe one night too...expensive but sounds like a cool experience.  Also, this might seem goofy, but might see Star Wars there so I dont have to avoid spoilers until I get back...looks like they have a "VIP" theatre at the mall.

I've done Cenote's, they're pretty cool.  Go snorkeling, that's always awesome.  I've been to Mexico a few times but have never gone to Chichen Itza.  My wife went though and said it was really cool.  If you have a chance, go to Xcaret.  It's a very cool zoo, dolphin swimming, regular beach swimming area.

Been to Mexico many times & have done most of the excursions so here's my take:

Xplor, Xel-ha &X-Caret are all great for fun/active excursions.  They are pretty similar but have some differences so it really depends on what you want to do.  This website shows what each has to offer:

http://en.xcaretexperiencias.com/xcaret-xelha-xplor-tour.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9bmsmPX11wIVDI9pCh2lygulEAAYASAAEgK2avD_BwE

Tulum was neat because it's the only Mayan ruins that are on a coast, it's fairly small though (compared to Chichen Itza) so I would only really recommend it if you are near by.  Chichen Itza was cool but it was better when you could still climb on the ruins.

Cenotes are cheap & easy ways to spend a day swimming & hanging out.  We always try to spend at least 1 day/afternoon at a cenote.  Most resorts we've been to, offered some kind of box lunch so we can bring food a long with us.

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Last time I was in Cancun I went to a place called Xplor park... ziplining, ATV driving, etc.  I thought that was pretty fun.  The underground rafting was shitty though.  Ziplining was the best part even though it scared the hell out of me.

I found swimming/floating down the underground river to be much more enjoyable than the rafting.