Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

12 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

The Bombers receivers sans were horrible from 2003-2004 when Bobby G started to decline until Armstrong was signed in 2006. 

That easily one of the teams biggest flaws back then, along with that putrid secondary.

The biggest flaw with the 03-04 team was how fast they aged and how tightly Dave Ritchie, feeling the heat from Bauer clung to veterans to try and save his job. If only they'd won that 01 Grey Cup, or not had so many key guys hurt for the playoffs in 02 and got the job done that year things for this franchise could have turned out entirely different. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The biggest flaw with the 03-04 team was how fast they aged and how tightly Dave Ritchie, feeling the heat from Bauer clung to veterans to try and save his job. If only they'd won that 01 Grey Cup, or not had so many key guys hurt for the playoffs in 02 and got the job done that year things for this franchise could have turned out entirely different. 

I was thinking more of the Jim Daley era when we had the putrid Smith brothers in the secondary. 

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I was thinking more of the Jim Daley era when we had the putrid Smith brothers in the secondary. 

back half of 04 and 05, Jason Maas setting a consecutive completions record record against the D with Marcus Howell being arguably the best DB in the lineup.. shudder

which made things even worse due to the fact that he had no contacts or pipeline whatsoever down south to help in recruitment, and the fact that he had zero football experience playing/coaching/developing so when on his scouting excursions how was he supposed to properly assess talent and know what to look for that the common eye doesn't or won't see.

Sure a video/highlight reel of a guy  looks all fine and dandy but they are generally put together showcasing the positive plays...not the whole story of the guy and thats what he went off of I am certain most of the time. He needed to have contracts and ways and means to access teams 22 man film and go more with that and talks with contacts.

Look for what they call "20 footers"...a term referring to all you need to see is 20 feet of game film to know that you have a star/gem

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

Now hold Walters up to those same ridiculous standards...

and Haywood was damn good 

hargs far better than Coates...

I just don't remember anyone freaking out about the bombers receivers from 2000-2008...  why pretend it was a problem

Haywood was not "damn good" he was serviceable. He was solid if not spectacular..    He wasn't some amazing interior lineman though.  he was good enough.

and Hargs?  you've clearly got some revisionist history going on.    He was decent but like previously mentioned, I think all of the guys walters has used have surpassed his pass totals.   Hargs was a solid posession receiver.  Coates can stretch the defense a bit AND make big catches.. JFG too.

10 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Haywood was not "damn good" he was serviceable. He was solid if not spectacular..    He wasn't some amazing interior lineman though.  he was good enough.

and Hargs?  you've clearly got some revisionist history going on.    He was decent but like previously mentioned, I think all of the guys walters has used have surpassed his pass totals.   Hargs was a solid posession receiver.  Coates can stretch the defense a bit AND make big catches.. JFG too.

Agreed. Loved Hargs, and he could have been more if they used him more (similar to the way we seem to force the ball to JFG sometimes), but he was definitely representative of a low in overall NI talent at the time. 

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

Now hold Walters up to those same ridiculous standards...

and Haywood was damn good 

hargs far better than Coates...

I just don't remember anyone freaking out about the bombers receivers from 2000-2008...  why pretend it was a problem

I'd really like to know what metric you are using to make this claim.

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Using my amazing powers of comprehension I'd suggest that he's saying that he, a non-professional "athlete" is almost as fast as these professional athletes.  Factor in that Do or Die would be running with a gin bottle in hand.

In each hand. One for before/during the race, one to chug immediately after.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Speaking of Canadian receivers...

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/08/receivers-nik-lewis-rob-bagg-discuss-changing-cfl-ratio-rules/

(I am a fan of the Canadian roster rules overall but I hope they'll be revised if the league ever expands to 10 teams.)

I love the ratio. It's part of what makes the league special. However I wouldn't mind seeing the ratio drop to 6 players even next year. If a 10th team is added, it should absolutely be dropped by 1 player.

First of all, expansion is just an idea at this time. I’m not convinced.

Secondly, no, to any talk about decreasing the Canadian ratio. It is a defining aspect of our game.

Perhaps, it would be better to look at the “naturalization” process. A naturalized non-import status. Choose the CFL, become a Canadian citizen, and voilà..non-import.

Then, we can increase the number of non-imports per roster...

Oh, and drop the designation for QBs. If you have a Non-import at QB...bonus for you.