Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

I think Calgary will part ways with McDaniel and Messem and will dip into FA a little more than usual this year.

TO might face the same situation as Ottawa did last year and having won the cup many players will be looking to cash in and could potentially lose a lot of players in FA, other then some of the players that came from Montreal it will be interesting to see how much loyalty there is for Popp and Trestman among the other players.

I see no reason why Winnipeg doesn't stay the course as it usual annual offseason,  resign a bulk of our own,  grab a few FA and fail to address some glaring holes like MLB... hope i'm wrong but sometimes I wonder if Walters/Osh prioritize other areas more than what we see as deficiencies on the team IE: by retooling the DL with better pass rushers we can mask the short comings of a weak MLB so they spend more time focusing on the DL then finding an actual MLB..etc

Sask will continue to scrap heap and bring in 100+ players because with the riders bottom line and Jones getting  carte blanche he's like a fat guy at the buffet table wearin his eatin pants.  

Edmonton will be interesting do they ride reilly for a few more years or is their beating at the WF the wake up call that the future might be now and Franklin is more valuable long run. I really don't think they keep both but if they do Sunderland is a lot better GM then I thought

BC will be the montreal of 2018. Tons of turn over including upstairs and new guy(s) will likely have to ax a lot of pricey aging vets.  I really hope the bombers can pick up one of the receivers that potentially shake loose

Ottawa will be active in FA this year. I think they are close to being a decent team but they lost too much after winning the cup. a few key cogs could go a long way.

Hamilton will likely stay much the same as they ended. With June Jones now the full HC (no more intern tag) I'm sure they would like to see more of what he can do with Masoli heading into 2018. Collaros is pretty much done in Ham, I expect him to be in montreal or maybe even BC 

Montreal - Kavis Reed is still there. basement dwellers once again.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Calgary - A smallish changing of the old guard is coming. The core will be the same, but Messam and others are going to be replaced.

Edmonton - Franklin gone, but they'll try to keep the rest as intact as possible. They're close to being the best team in the league and could pull past Calgary next year.

Winnipeg - Re-Sign our guys, fill a few holes where we lose FA's and pick up a couple of FA's. Consistency is still the buzz word. Even Hall is likely back next year.

Regina - My guess for Franklin's new team, which means Glenn is gone. Should also be a bunch of other turn over as Jones loves to bring guys in.

BC - It comes down to what Wally does. If he stays as GM or GM/Coach then their won't be a lot of change. If he doesn't then blowing up the whole thing is a very real possibility. Jennings gets another chance. Lulay is done as a QB and goes into coaching.

Toronto - Ray stays. They continue where they left off this year and look like the cream of the East.

Ottawa - Goes big in FA.  Only a few pieces away from being a good team. Harris will be better next year.

Hamilton - June Jones is back. Callaros is gone. My guess is to Montreal. Big turnover on this team too.

Montreal - A bunch of old guys including Durrant gone. New coaches. New attitude. Big players in FA.

Calgary - Don't see them letting Messam go, McDaniel maybe but I think they dip into FA for a slotback - maybe Arceneaux...?  I think Nik Lewis is a surprise signing - another good year: 12-6; team gets blown up if there's no grey cup 

Edmonton - I don't see them as 'next in line' - I think Maas et al overthink their way through the off-season and let some key pieces walk; Gable comes returns to average; Benevides too; run into kicker troubles in the season - 9-9 record; 

Winnipeg - Hurl finally walks; re-sign everyone for consistency including Medlock; maybe Nevis leaves - Hall replaced by Mark Nelson; Ernest Jackson is the big splash; another hard working year - 11-7

Saskatchewan - everyone comes back down to earth; Collaros is the big signing but Riders lose a couple receivers - maybe to Ottawa or Winnipeg; defence wins games - 9-9

BC - Wally finally walks but is replaced within - maybe ugh Bellefuile; rebuilding year with Jennings still at helm; OL still a major problem - last in west 6-12

Toronto - Ray retires replaced by... Trevor Harris!!!; team stays in mostly together; LH falls off - 10-8 record with a lot of 1-3 point games

Ottawa - Desjardins shocks the world and wins the James Franklin sweepstakes...  but team is still slim on receivers; Noel Thorpe new DC - 9-9

Hamilton - Durant and Austin reunited... Durant injured in game four; Masoli runs with a rebuilding team 7-11

Montreal - Tommy Condell announced new head coach; Kavis misses out on QB sweepstakes - but don't worry Mack has a plan... he knows a guy who saw a sharp young QB somewhere down south - tall guy, real good at running the wildcat - 4-14

10 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Edmonton will be interesting do they ride reilly for a few more years or is their beating at the WF the wake up call that the future might be now and Franklin is more valuable long run. I really don't think they keep both but if they do Sunderland is a lot better GM then I thought

Adrius Bowman makes an awful lot of money dropping footballs.  If it's just about a nice pay raise, they can keep Franklin and still have a receiving corps that (ignoring any pending free agencies) features Zylstra, Walker, Hazelton, Williams, Mitchell, and Watson.  They'd lose a guy who was an all-star last season and still have a better group of receivers than the Bombers.

If Franklin needs a guarantee he is competing for a starting job, then Edmonton will become his former team.

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Calgary - Don't see them letting Messam go, McDaniel maybe but I think they dip into FA for a slotback - maybe Arceneaux...?  I think Nik Lewis is a surprise signing - another good year: 12-6; team gets blown up if there's no grey cup 

Edmonton - I don't see them as 'next in line' - I think Maas et al overthink their way through the off-season and let some key pieces walk; Gable comes returns to average; Benevides too; run into kicker troubles in the season - 9-9 record; 

Winnipeg - Hurl finally walks; re-sign everyone for consistency including Medlock; maybe Nevis leaves - Hall replaced by Mark Nelson; Ernest Jackson is the big splash; another hard working year - 11-7

Saskatchewan - everyone comes back down to earth; Collaros is the big signing but Riders lose a couple receivers - maybe to Ottawa or Winnipeg; defence wins games - 9-9

BC - Wally finally walks but is replaced within - maybe ugh Bellefuile; rebuilding year with Jennings still at helm; OL still a major problem - last in west 6-12

Toronto - Ray retires replaced by... Trevor Harris!!!; team stays in mostly together; LH falls off - 10-8 record with a lot of 1-3 point games

Ottawa - Desjardins shocks the world and wins the James Franklin sweepstakes...  but team is still slim on receivers; Noel Thorpe new DC - 9-9

Hamilton - Durant and Austin reunited... Durant injured in game four; Masoli runs with a rebuilding team 7-11

Montreal - Tommy Condell announced new head coach; Kavis misses out on QB sweepstakes - but don't worry Mack has a plan... he knows a guy who saw a sharp young QB somewhere down south - tall guy, real good at running the wildcat - 4-14

Interesting, you have 85 recorded losses vs 77 wins over 81 games.  Should prove to be a very interesting season indeed.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Interesting, you have 85 recorded losses vs 77 wins over 81 games.  Should prove to be a very interesting season indeed.

Interesting that you spent the time to add up a random win-loss estimate on a throw away post a few days after the grey cup - but hey good job

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/29/redblacks-cut-ties-four-coaching-staff/

OTTAWA — The Ottawa REDBLACKS today announced that the football club will not be renewing the contracts of Offensive Line Coach Bryan Chiu, Defensive Backs Coach Ike Charlton, Receivers Coach Travis Moore and Linebackers Coach Derek Oswalt.

“I’d like to thank Bryan, Ike, Travis and Derek for all of the hard work they put in for our football team,” said Head Coach Rick Campbell. “We wish them the best going forward.”

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

Interesting that you spent the time to add up a random win-loss estimate on a throw away post a few days after the grey cup - but hey good job

No worries, I had a few moments and I know how to use a calculator.  I'm glad that you've indicated that it was a "throw away  post".  Gotta keep that post count up, I guess.  Good job!

41 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

No worries, I had a few moments and I know how to use a calculator.  I'm glad that you've indicated that it was a "throw away  post".  Gotta keep that post count up, I guess.  Good job!

Its true - I try and post things that contribute to the site...  there's a few 'me too' guys that just lurk and throw chip shots or jabs at guys instead of writing anything interesting...  all about balance.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/

MONTREAL ALOUETTES

PLAYER I/N POS SCHOOL STATUS
ACKIE, Chris N DB Wilfrid Laurier  
ADEKOLU, Stephen N WR Bishop’s  
BEDARD, Martin N FB Connecticut  
BEDE, Boris I K Laval  
BLAKE, Philip N OL Baylor  
BROWN, Vincent I OL Pittsburg State  
CAMPBELL, Tevaughn N DB Regina  
CARROLL, Alex N WR Queen’s  
CARTER, Michael N DB Maryland