Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The way some people tell it he got into coaching during his playing career. I believe the story goes that in 2000 he was basically the OC here. 

Apparently he was injured in 1990 and served as an assistant coach for the Florida Gators before resuming his playing career in '91. His coaching roots run deep it would seem.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:21 PM, bluto said:

The league just won some excellent sponsorships though.

Nasty cleanup at Sportsnet and 590 from all the heads exploding.

Clearly recall a few years when the idea surfaced McCowan saying MLSE would never do it because , you know, CFL is so lame .

55 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Messed up. Messed up like your rumour mongering that Condell was practically a shoe-in and Collaros a slam dunk, Herb?

Right! It really isn't that messed up. Things like that happen pretty often when hiring a head coach. I don't understand the all the "messed up" comments on Social media.

48 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Nasty cleanup at Sportsnet and 590 from all the heads exploding.

Clearly recall a few years when the idea surfaced McCowan saying MLSE would never do it because , you know, CFL is so lame .

McCowan shtick is so lame. Like, take the sunglasses off and learn something you old hack.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

McCowan shtick is so lame. Like, take the sunglasses off and learn something you old hack.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

McCowan shtick is so lame. Like, take the sunglasses off and learn something you old hack?

At one time he spoke favorably of the league and described himself as a fan.  Was loosely involved with the Argos for years. Turned on them, presto changeo, when it became Rogers corporate policy. 

Was stunned to hear him mock Grey Cup in TOR in 2012 and denigrate the succesful week it was the day after.

What makes me chuckle is he persits with this maverick "nobody tells me what to do-just tellin' like it is" type when really hes just a high priced employee amongst all the other meat puppets on Sportsnet.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Ive always hated that... why wear sunglasses, inside, when you are on a radio show?  even when it became a tv radio show..  you ain't hunter S thompson!

McCown changes the narrative on a month to month bases, one month he blast's someone the next he's heaping praise. He is the classic example of  someone who thinks he is the smartest person in the room, don't believe me just ask him. He claims that the sunglasses are for the studio lights so I wont comment on that.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

McCowan has an ego bigger than SkyDome. 

eye condition or no eye condition, no reason to bag on the CFL to seem cool.  Yeah, the CFL has some issues. And yeah, there are improvements to be made.  But with the limited resources everyone has to work with, it's an amazing product.  And the people who work their butts off to make it that way, usually for pretty low pay and out of pure love for the game,  don't deserve some elitist bonehead trashing them on a Sports show just to kow-tow to misguided corporate policy.  It was with much satisfaction that I cancelled my Rogers cell phone account this year.  Trash the CFL?  Not getting my business.

Edited by kelownabomberfan