Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think khari needs to work with an XO guy. I fully believe in his ability to play call and adjust. But I think hes stuck in that young coach rut of Identifying a system to take ownership of.  Khari the coach is a lot like khari the qb. Live and die by the long ball. Which isnt really repeatable today. 

Does that mean he starts throwing 5 yard passes on second-and-8 instead?

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

To be fair, Lapo was highly criticized for being a dink and dunk OC when Drew Willy was here...   If Walters doesn't find Nichols, Lapo would probably already be fired

LaPo was hired Dec. 07/15.  Nichols became the starting QB game 6 of 2016 after Willy started the season 1-4.  I believe it was LaPo that identified the problem and pushed for the change to be made, so in a way he saved his own ass and possibly that of O'Shea  as well.

Khari is still a good prospect for an OC, should LaPolice decide to bolt. He wasn't the most physically gifted quarterback, but did very well despite a so-so O-line due to intelligence and hard work. Those same qualities should serve him well in a coaching role. I do not hold him responsible for the problems with the offence with the Lions- as has been pointed out, they had a poor O-line but were doing well until Lulay got racked up, and it is starting to look like Jennings may not respond to coaching, and we've had a few of those ourselves.

Assuming that Jennings stays in the CFL (Pretty good assumption IMO), it will be interesting to see how he does with a different OC. I'll bet he looks a lot better. He has all the physical skills. All he needs to do is make some better choices. Either people are forgetting that he's only 25 with 3 CFL seasons under his belt or they're expecting that a inexperienced QB will make as good and as quick decisions as a 34 year old QB with 9 seasons of experience, which is unrealistic.

I'd take Jennings over Collaros who hasn't won a game in over a year or Willy who lost it years ago or Durant whose been injured then didn't play well or even Franklin who is older, has less experience and who has only started a few CFL games.

59 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming that Jennings stays in the CFL (Pretty good assumption IMO), it will be interesting to see how he does with a different OC. I'll bet he looks a lot better. He has all the physical skills. All he needs to do is make some better choices. Either people are forgetting that he's only 25 with 3 CFL seasons under his belt or they're expecting that a inexperienced QB will make as good and as quick decisions as a 34 year old QB with 9 seasons of experience, which is unrealistic.

I'd take Jennings over Collaros who hasn't won a game in over a year or Willy who lost it years ago or Durant whose been injured then didn't play well or even Franklin who is older, has less experience and who has only started a few CFL games.

Most people simply don’t have the ability to make better choices or read and react to defences. You’re right in that he has all the physical tools, so his regression is concerning.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

No way, TBurgess, you're being sucked in by Jennings athleticism. The same as Wally & KJ did. Jennings athleticism is all he has.  He doesn't have the smarts. What does Willy show when he gets the time to play? Deer in the headlights look as he's panicking. I don't know if Collaros still has it but Willy sure doesn't. There's absolutely no upside for Drew Willy. 

43 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No way, TBurgess, you're being sucked in by Jennings athleticism. The same as Wally & KJ did. Jennings athleticism is all he has.  He doesn't have the smarts. What does Willy show when he gets the time to play? Deer in the headlights look as he's panicking. I don't know if Collaros still has it but Willy sure doesn't. There's absolutely no upside for Drew Willy. 

You're comparing Willy to Jennings? That's laughable. Willy on his best day isn't anywhere near as athletic as Jennings on his worst day and he never learned to read a defense. I never thought Willy had 'it', but I think Jennings still might. Jennings isn't there yet, but he also had to deal with a horrible O line that didn't give him any time to make his decisions and an OC who loves the deep ball, just like he did when he was a player.

You simply can't compare a 25 year old to a 29 or 30 year old. After some time, the game slows down for a lot of QB's. Collaros is 29. Willy is 31. Franklin is 26. None of them has done as much as Jennings has and he's only 25. I think Jennings is much like Burris. It will take him some time to get there, but if he does, he'll be one of the best QB's in the league.

19 hours ago, J5V said:

Does that mean he starts throwing 5 yard passes on second-and-8 instead?

Didnt say work with plop.

7 hours ago, Mark F said:

On sale right now one dollar any size!!!

I recall that Khari also had some prospects in acting.

He'd be really good on TSN panel, pretty sure.

He did some theater here, and was pretty good. 

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Didnt say work with plop.

Sorry, thought you might have been suggesting Khari coming here. It might actually work out. He could learn Lapo's ultra conservative approach but every once in a while unleash the deep ball philosophy to keep defenses honest. Might be a good mix.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You're comparing Willy to Jennings? That's laughable. Willy on his best day isn't anywhere near as athletic as Jennings on his worst day and he never learned to read a defense. I never thought Willy had 'it', but I think Jennings still might. Jennings isn't there yet, but he also had to deal with a horrible O line that didn't give him any time to make his decisions and an OC who loves the deep ball, just like he did when he was a player.

You simply can't compare a 25 year old to a 29 or 30 year old. After some time, the game slows down for a lot of QB's. Collaros is 29. Willy is 31. Franklin is 26. None of them has done as much as Jennings has and he's only 25. I think Jennings is much like Burris. It will take him some time to get there, but if he does, he'll be one of the best QB's in the league.

What has Jennings accomplished other than being a turn over machine? You said you'd take Willy over Collaros & that Jennings just has to make better decisions. Willy's a slug. Jennings has a brick between his ears. When it comes to playing qb, I don't want either. And, unlike Collaros, those 2 haven't won a lot of games between them as starters. Like I said, I don't know if Collaros still has it but I'd be willing to give him a chance over the other 2. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 minutes ago, J5V said:

Sorry, thought you might have been suggesting Khari coming here. It might actually work out. He could learn Lapo's ultra conservative approach but every once in a while unleash the deep ball philosophy to keep defenses honest. Might be a good mix.

Plop is a good teacher/leader type. But thats kinda similar to kharis tool set. Imo if khari is gonna come here he needs to stomp out the nepotism. He cant come here to replace buck and do the same quality job as buck because hes khari. For him self and for the franchise/fans.  Hard to say beyond that if itd be a great fit for him here. Wouldnt be a terrible one. june jones in the hammer would be a good fit too. 

Id love to see khari become the next great OC and ride into wpg as the next great coach. But not so much as pure fan service. 

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What has Jennings accomplished other than being a turn over machine? You said you'd take Willy over Collaros & that Jennings just has to make better decisions. Willy's a slug. Jennings has a brick between his ears. When it comes to playing qb, I don't want either. And, unlike Collaros, those 2 haven't won a lot of games between them as starters. Like I said, I don't know if Collaros still has it but I'd be willing to give him a chance over the other 2.

Go back and read my first post again. I said I'd take Jennings over any of the other QB's I mentioned. I wouldn't take Willy back at any price.

Collaros hasn't won  a game in over a year. Masoli won a bunch of games with the same team. I wouldn't touch Collaros for anything over than 200K. I think he's been Willy'd as in broke beyond repair.

So what's Jennings accomplished? Became a CFL starting QB at 23 or24. Got his team into the playoffs in his first year as a starter. Has thrown for almost 11K yards in less than 3 years (Collaros threw for about 54K yards in his first 3 years). Suffered the sophomore jinx in 2017 behind a bad O line and with an OC that wanted to go deep all the time. 

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Go back and read my first post again. I said I'd take Jennings over any of the other QB's I mentioned. I wouldn't take Willy back at any price.

Collaros hasn't won  a game in over a year. Masoli won a bunch of games with the same team. I wouldn't touch Collaros for anything over than 200K. I think he's been Willy'd as in broke beyond repair.

So what's Jennings accomplished? Became a CFL starting QB at 23 or24. Got his team into the playoffs in his first year as a starter. Has thrown for almost 11K yards in less than 3 years (Collaros threw for about 54K yards in his first 3 years). Suffered the sophomore jinx in 2017 behind a bad O line and with an OC that wanted to go deep all the time. 

I don't believe in jinxes. Players make their own luck. So what if he's 25? He's played & lost a lot of games being given the opportunity to start most of the Lions games since 2015.  He makes the same mistakes now that he did 2 years ago. I don't see a lot of progression in his development.  He should have won a lot more games with the receiving corps that he had in BC but he didn't. Yes, some of it was the play calling of KJ, like not using Jeremiah Johnson enough to establish the running game. However, a lot of the mistakes on the field were Jennings fault. Throwing into double coverage, not believing his eyes looking downfield therefore holding onto the ball too long resulting in sacks, lacking patience on drives where he overthrew open receivers, fumbling because he didn't do enough to protect the football & throwing interceptions at the worst possible time. All these mistakes killed so many drives.  He did all of this in 2016 & it continued & even got worse this past season. Maybe with a new OC it'll be a rebirth for Jennings but right now I'd say he's bottom 3 for starting qbs. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That's a lot of yards!

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

How can even the most optimistic MTL fan think a dollar store hire like mark washington makes the team better ? Grease fire hasnt dissipated one iota

Hiring Reed is like the Bombers hiring Joe Mack . Woefully inept at being a CFL GM. No coach could have been successful working for Mack. Just like no coach will be successful working for Kavis Reed. Hence, the qualified first choice candidates are turning the Als HC job down.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Update: Collaros threw for 5500 yards, not 54K. Thanks to J5V for proof reading for me.

25 years old is way different than 30. Jennings is the youngest starting QB in the league and has had more success than any of the current young guns in their first 3 years. He threw for more yards than even BLM did in his first 3 years, although BLM threw a lot less INT's. The big difference is that Jennings hasn't been brought along slowly like most QB's. He's been given the reins and been allowed to make mistakes, which he has done too often. The fact that he threw for less yards and more ints this year than last is worrisome, but that doesn't mean he's done as a QB.

Jennings could become the next Burris or the next Printers or somewhere in between. I'll be very interested to see what he does with a different OC who doesn't want to throw deep all the time and what he can do behind a better O line.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Update: Collaros threw for 5500 yards, not 54K. Thanks to J5V for proof reading for me.

25 years old is way different than 30. Jennings is the youngest starting QB in the league and has had more success than any of the current young guns in their first 3 years. He threw for more yards than even BLM did in his first 3 years, although BLM threw a lot less INT's. The big difference is that Jennings hasn't been brought along slowly like most QB's. He's been given the reins and been allowed to make mistakes, which he has done too often. The fact that he threw for less yards and more ints this year than last is worrisome, but that doesn't mean he's done as a QB.

Jennings could become the next Burris or the next Printers or somewhere in between. I'll be very interested to see what he does with a different OC who doesn't want to throw deep all the time and what he can do behind a better O line.

It's about progression. Yes, Jennings was way ahead of others at similar age/experience but he hasn't developed, and maybe, he's even regressed. If you saw him making better a better decisions but not putting up the same yards, I think you would be okay but he's not progressing. Maybe it's the system but he does make some very weird decisions.