Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

On 12/7/2017 at 7:01 PM, 17to85 said:

The biggest flaw with the 03-04 team was how fast they aged and how tightly Dave Ritchie, feeling the heat from Bauer clung to veterans to try and save his job. If only they'd won that 01 Grey Cup, or not had so many key guys hurt for the playoffs in 02 and got the job done that year things for this franchise could have turned out entirely different. 

Thats the damned truth. And I (like all blue fans who saw that era) love coach ritchie to pieces. 

6 hours ago, ediger said:

Jamie Stoddard would like to enter this conversation, please.

the 'bod was a fan favorite. Blood n guts effort guy. But I think I once saw moe elewonibi out run him. To be fair though I think a buffet line was involved. 

12 hours ago, Atomic said:

Hargreaves is the slowest receiver to play for the Bombers in the last 20 years.

NI perhaps. Imp, I would put my money on post injuries bobby gordon. 

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I would rather see them add two more designated imports to the game day roster. 6 instead of 4.

Id very much like to see this. 2 more dis 2 more nis and maybe 1 or 2 more to the inactive roster. The less air lifts the better. 

On 12/7/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mr Dee said:

?‍?What’s with these guys named Jones ? That’s a pretty bold statement...and far-fetched?

-Ticats analyst Mike Morreale says he believes Johnny Manziel will sign with the team relatively soon (TSN 1150). 

More tidbits...

-For the BC Lions, who have 22 pending free agents, the biggest focus is going to be on the offensive line, where six players are slated for free agency (Jamie Nye, CFL.ca).

-With their entire starting defensive backfield up for free agency, the Stampeders have their work cut out for them this off-season (Jamie Nye, CFL.ca).

-National depth continues to be a strength for Kyle Walters, who has a league-low five Canadians pending free agency on Feb. 13 (Jamie Nye, CFL.ca).

Like to know what Masoli the  impending free agent thinks now that his own coach is in love with somebody else.

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Using my amazing powers of comprehension I'd suggest that he's saying that he, a non-professional "athlete" is almost as fast as these professional athletes.  Factor in that Do or Die would be running with a gin bottle in hand.

I know. But the way he worded it, I couldn't resist. ;) 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He takes the fall for an oveb in Jennings & his overrated qb last season. Funny how Wally is Teflon & nothing sticks to him. 

Mentioned during the season when the Lions were in free fall that Jones would take the fall, Wally will leave when he's good and ready

Edited by bustamente

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He takes the fall for an overrated qb in Jennings & his crappy season. Funny how Wally is Teflon & nothing sticks to him. 

It's the  McDonalds phenomenon- still lousy   but people keep going back because they used to for so long. Okay, the coffee there is pretty good as are the muffins.

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

It's the  McDonalds phenomenon- still lousy   but people keep going back because they used to for so long. Okay, the coffee there is pretty good as are the muffins.

Don't get me started on McDonalds, I hate their food to start with but these "now you see it, now you don't" menu boards almost drive me crazy, especially when trying to place an order for an entire hockey team of 6 year olds.

Creehan leaves Eskimos for position at Lyon College: https://www.tsn.ca/creehan-leaves-esks-for-head-coach-job-at-lyon-1.938568

BC sorta cleans house: https://www.tsn.ca/report-lions-part-ways-with-oc-jones-1.939190

According to TSN's Farhan Lalji, the B.C. Lions have parted ways with multiple coaches. The list includes offensive co-ordinator Khari Jones, special teams coach Marcello Simmons, defensive line coach Robin Ross and Receivers coach Marcel Bellefeuille.

Preliminary interviews for new OC have already begun.

31 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Remember when people wanted to hire Khari over Lapo? Ouch. .

Im not sure he took the fall.. BC had tons of weapons and their O wasnt so good. Some of that is on Jennings but some is on the scheme also. 

Yeah, as much as I love Khari, never been quite sold on him as a coordinator.

We’ll see though, I’m sure he’ll get another opportunity soon.

59 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Im not sure he took the fall.. BC had tons of weapons and their O wasnt so good. Some of that is on Jennings but some is on the scheme also. 

when your qb can only throw it deep and hope for the best not much you can do. Lions were a dangerous team with Lulay taking the snaps. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I'd think most was on Jennings. He's terrible. All kinds of athleticism but can't make the right reads or decisions. Guys like KJ thought he was a can't miss kind of player & that he was elite. He sure fooled Wally. Instead he was just a cut above Darian Durant for the worst starting qb in the CFL.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd think most was on Jennings. He's terrible. All kinds of athleticism but can't make the right reads or decisions. Guys like KJ thought he was a can't miss kind of player & that he was elite. He sure fooled Wally. Instead he was just a cut above Darian Durant for the worst starting qb in the CFL.

Seemed that Lulay when he was healthy have no problem with Khari's schemes and moved the BC offence, sure you have to be good but a lot of the Qb position is between the ears.

Edited by bustamente

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Khari's not much of an OC IMO. Folks love to complain about Jennings going deep all the time, but give a pass to Khari who designed the deep ball plays and called them. It's Jennings taking the heat for Khari, not Khari taking the fall for Jennings.

I think khari needs to work with an XO guy. I fully believe in his ability to play call and adjust. But I think hes stuck in that young coach rut of Identifying a system to take ownership of.  Khari the coach is a lot like khari the qb. Live and die by the long ball. Which isnt really repeatable today. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe Khari joins TSN for a season or two ?

That would be great as a fan. Hed be great at it too. I dont see him progressing his skill set as a coach doing that though. Hes still (imo) a guy who is very good as a positional coach. And at 46, being a very good QB coach still leaves him with plenty of time to full fill his potential.  In coaching its soo huge to find the right HC to work under and learn from.  A guy like marc trestman would be a great fit. 

Due to khari rising to prominence as a pro soo late in life, then having his drop off soo sharp and sudden I feel like hes a guy who will continue to hammer away at coaching. I dont have any special insider knowledge or any thing. But I see him as a guy who wants to stay directly involved in the game and find the lasting high level of success he only glimpsed as a player.