Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Exactly, once the receiver has the ball in his hands he should be fair game.

Then what will stop a defensive back or linebacker from grabbing  a receiver in mid-air, carrying him several feet over and throwing him out of bounds?

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

Then what will stop a defensive back or linebacker from grabbing  a receiver in mid-air, carrying him several feet over and throwing him out of bounds?

Pretty sure that carrying /throwing a player out of bounds is not a part of this, sort of like how you can't load a running back into a cannon and fire him into the endzone.  

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Pretty sure that carrying /throwing a player out of bounds is not a part of this, sort of like how you can't load a running back into a cannon and fire him into the endzone.  

Well, that would be pretty darned entertaining, would it not? Similarly, I had an idea about how to make luge events at the Olympics better: intersections.

22 hours ago, johnzo said:

i

yeah, I think this makes Jacquie's point -- a legit GOAT like Milt doesn't even have a .500 record, it's tough to say anything about a football player by looking at their W/L.

(except maybe that Milt was more patient than the Bombers deserved.)

I agree to disagree.  Some players are individual talents.  Some are team players.  If you look at the games Milt played in and didn’t, the team was improved wth him in the lineup.   I don’t believe you can say the same for Muamba.  

I would love Henocvto join the Bombers and prove me wrong, but I think that ship has sailed.

In terms of Henix’s salaries, they only count if he actually gets paid the bonuses.  Otherwise, his salaries are much lower.

22 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

That’s only the third time I’ve been slightly incontenent while reading a post on MBB. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, 17to85 said:

A lot of those changes seem like change for change sake and I hate that. Why give the refs more to worry about? They already can't handle the workload they already have. 

Several of the rule changes make it easier to officiate.  They are about eliminating judgement calls.

Eliminating the force out play means that official just has to watch whether a foot is in-bounds or not.

The illegal pass definition means that the official just has to look where the back foot is when the QB releases the ball; not try to figure out where his arm is in relation to the field.

Eliminating blindside blocks  and most low blocks are significant changes that are long overdue for player safety, but it are both pretty straight forward. 

Spearing is also now a simpler call.

The sleeper play is not a common occurrence, but the clarification is fine.

Not sure what is going to make it more complicated or difficult to officiate. 

hitting with helmet should be a penalty no matter what the circumstances, even if the ball carrier ducks his head, moving into the defender's helmet.

Too hard to tell which it is, and player safety is too important. Take that one out of the refs hands too. 

No player is going to intentionally move his head to where he is going to get hit by a helmet. 

If there's a mistake now and then  tough beans. 

People's brains are more important than first downs and touchdowns.

Learn to wrap up and tackle, forget the big "highlight reel" hits. and most of this will be eliminated by that alone.

ie: Teach these guys how to tackle. Their own health will be better served as well.

Edited by Mark F

Widener University head football coach Mike Kelly has been named the East Coast Football Officials Association (ECFOA) Division III Coach of the Year as announced by the organization.

http://widenerpride.com/news/2018/3/26/football-kelly-of-widener-fb-named-ecfoa-division-iii-coach-of-the-year.aspx

#HighestLevelSportsmanship 

26 minutes ago, Mark F said:

hitting with helmet should be a penalty no matter what the circumstances, even if the ball carrier ducks his head, moving into the defender's helmet.

Too hard to tell which it is, and player safety is too important. Take that one out of the refs hands too. 

No player is going to intentionally move his head to where he is going to get hit by a helmet. 

If there's a mistake now and then  tough beans. 

People's brains are more important than first downs and touchdowns.

Learn to wrap up and tackle, forget the big "highlight reel" hits. and most of this will be eliminated by that alone.

ie: Teach these guys how to tackle. Their own health will be better served as well.

How would you police that with offensive and defensive linemen?  Those collisions happen on virtually every play.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

How would you police that with offensive and defensive linemen? 

I don't know, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done in the other instance, (ball carriers, Quarterbacks) where it's not as problematic seeing it happen.

I don't know if there's any analysis of concussion damage by position.

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I don't know, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done in the other instance, (ball carriers, Quarterbacks) where it's not as problematic seeing it happen.

I don't know if there's any analysis of concussion damage by position.

One thing researchers are looking at are micro-concussions. The small, repeated hits that players face during the game. 

OL face the most. Not big hits but small ones. These micro-concussions may not lead to any symptoms until years after receiving them, where the connections in the brain are torn apart. 

Did anyone happen to hear the interview Troy Westwood did (on 1290) of Rod Peterson, voice of the Riders?? Apparently Westie asked Peterson for his prediction of the upcoming season. Peterson said" Riders 1st in the west, Bombers 5th in the west.".   (Peterson talked of this on Rider radio and said his prediction was met with dead silence...).

27 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Did anyone happen to hear the interview Troy Westwood did (on 1290) of Rod Peterson, voice of the Riders?? Apparently Westie asked Peterson for his prediction of the upcoming season. Peterson said" Riders 1st in the west, Bombers 5th in the west.".   (Peterson talked of this on Rider radio and said his prediction was met with dead silence...).

Sounds like his typical mo. Every village needs an idiot.