Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

33 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Wilder will be coming into the season with two things working against him.  There's film on him now, and the defences he's facing will be as fresh as he was when he came into the league.  My guess is that he'll be good, but not "Bluto getting the vapours" level good.  As for 2000 yards rushing in the season, ya, good luck with that.

I believe Bluto said, from scrimmage, not just rushing. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Grgisby did not scare anyone...  Wilder took over games himself.   Anyone doubting the level of play of the guy is a fool.     

Pretty much.

One guy changes entire gameplans. The other doesn't. That's the difference,  even if you stop Wilder, he beats you by forcing you to always account for him. People that think that cold weather had anything to do with his production dropping off in the playoffs either weren't watching or just plain don't know how to watch. (and he still broke away for 17 and 22 in the EDF).

I think though he is going to have to change up his running style/technique a bit to carry himself through the full 18 games..he too upright and doesn't punish defenders enough....by week 12 he gonna be pretty beat up if he is being used as a 12-18 carry a game back

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

Ok, then ya, good luck with that too!

Not unrealistic...Harris was less than 300 yards from that feat and that was even after he was playing beat up a bit for a few games, and teams basically focusing on him to minimize his effectiveness

Just now, Booch said:

Not unrealistic...Harris was less than 300 yards from that feat and that was even after he was playing beat up a bit for a few games, and teams basically focusing on him to minimize his effectiveness

Wilder is good, I've already said that, but is he Harris good?  Something tells me he doesn't have the same heart as Harris, but we'll see.

Yeah I wouldn't put Wilder in same class as Harris yet...he hasn't proved it consistently  enough. He does have better break away speed....but isn''t the total package Harris is...and truthfully I don't think it even close

But if I could would love him on the team tho

I love Andrew Harris. I've seen his very best as he's been an Argo killer for years. I'd take his head, heart and passport over Wilder's any day.

But Wilder is an athlete on a higher level.

Willing to avatar bet with one lucky person on this year's production.

Wilder is a very good player.  He has the whole package for a running back.  I understand why the argo fans are giddy.  The guy has enormous talent and could the league MVP for next few years.  I also understand why some are saying that everyone should cool their jets until we see what happens over the next couple of years.  I tend to agree.

I don't understand why some are saying that he hasn't proven anything until he has played in "shitty weather".  The weather he didn't play in last year was the hot and sunny weather.  He did pretty well throughout all of November.  I guess you are saying that I should have told those shivering around me in the stands in Ottawa that they should all just wait until they got to watch a game in "shitty weather".

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ummm, from Wikipedia (the knower of all knowledge): 

In the Victorian Era, a variety of conditions which affected women were referred to as "a case for the vapours". Lady's tight corsets could squeeze their internal organs, including the lungs, and could restrict breathing causing the wearer to feel faint and to require "the vapours".

A description of someone having "a case of the vapours" was sometimes used for a person in a state of emotional agitation.

Seriously read Tennessee Williams, broaden your horizons!

I cite the Urban Dictionary:

A polite 19th century term women used meaning either:  1) Being emotionally overcome or 2) Having gas
ie: "Oh, Rhett, I am et up with the vapors!" (From "Gone with the Wind")- an apt reference, yes?

QED.

7 minutes ago, tracker said:

I cite the Urban Dictionary:

A polite 19th century term women used meaning either:  1) Being emotionally overcome or 2) Having gas
ie: "Oh, Rhett, I am et up with the vapors!" (From "Gone with the Wind")- an apt reference, yes?

QED.

I am really impressed that you quoted the urban dictionary and then followed it up with "quod erat demonstrandum".

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, MC said:

I don't understand why some are saying that he hasn't proven anything until he has played in "shitty weather".  The weather he didn't play in last year was the hot and sunny weather.  He did pretty well throughout all of November.  I guess you are saying that I should have told those shivering around me in the stands in Ottawa that they should all just wait until they got to watch a game in "shitty weather".

Wilder's stats for November:

Nov 4 indoors at BC - 18 carries for 136 yards, 7 catches for 91 yards 

Nov 22 for Eastern Final - 14 carries for 52 yards, 8 catches for 52 yards

Nov 26 for Grey Cup -  9 carries for 13 yards, 2 catches for 18 yards

2 hours ago, tracker said:

But did you pick up on the "Wind" reference? BTW: farts were once considered the voices of the gods. (Can't remember where I read that)

And for those who have been waiting breathlessly, here it is: http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/fart-gods-farting-out-one-s-soul-historic-ritualization-farts-009699

1 hour ago, MC said:

Wilder is a very good player.  He has the whole package for a running back.  I understand why the argo fans are giddy.  The guy has enormous talent and could the league MVP for next few years.  I also understand why some are saying that everyone should cool their jets until we see what happens over the next couple of years.  I tend to agree.

Told you already, he's gone next January.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

I love Andrew Harris. I've seen his very best as he's been an Argo killer for years. I'd take his head, heart and passport over Wilder's any day.

At this stage of their careers I'd say that Wilder is the better of the two at rushing the football. I think Harris is the better receiver right now. He's got great hands and his smarts and CFL experience really help him out there. It will be interesting to see how Wilder does when coming back with a larger contract and isn't thinking he's gonna be bolting for the NFL in the offseason. Time will tell but Wilder was surely impressive last season once he adjusted. 

Wilder is talented no question there, I just think Bluto is really expecting more than the guy will be capable of. It's one thing to come in midseason and tear **** up, but like I said in my last post, do it from the start of the season over the entire course and it won't last. guy will get too beat up doing it. No one can sustain that pace over a whole year. 

6 hours ago, Jacquie said:

And just like SF27 did to me. I've gone back to look at my posts over the past 40 pages of this thread (back to when the Wilder thing first started) and didn't see any posts I made that would warrant SF27 singling me out as someone who was criticizing players who are on their first contract wanting out of or wanting to renogiate their contracts so I responded with hyperbole. If you can find something I said criticizing those players, please let me know. 

Other than repeating ad nauseum that you hoped Ambrosie would deal with it, that he should step in and that it shouldn't be happening - nope, you didn't say much of anything.

Wilder - American                      Harris - Canadian

therein, says Captain Obvious, is the biggest difference between the 2. VERY few American running backs are in this league for more than 3 -5 years. There are very few Mike Pringles and Charles Roberts. If Wilder dominates in this league for even 5 years...I will be duly impressed! (If he makes an NFL roster I will be impressed x 2).

But yeah, he is a good player. After Harris, I take Wilder as my starting RB

4 hours ago, bluto said:

If you could combine wilders athleticism and size with every thing else harris, youd have an nfl hofer. 

With the further division of carries I certainly wouldnt take that bet. Id bet that he is either let go to pursue nfl chances next off season, or throws and even bigger tantrum though. I might avatar bet that he never plays 3 full cfl seasons. 

He has the best physical tools of any back in the league. Including trent richardson. But those two have the biggest questions other wise. I love big athletic backs. And bruising runners in general. But I worry about a big rb that is soo hesitant to consistently lower the shoudler when hitting the line of scrimmage, little on with contact. 

3 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Wilder - American                      Harris - Canadian

therein, says Captain Obvious, is the biggest difference between the 2. VERY few American running backs are in this league for more than 3 -5 years. There are very few Mike Pringles and Charles Roberts. If Wilder dominates in this league for even 5 years...I will be duly impressed! (If he makes an NFL roster I will be impressed x 2).

But yeah, he is a good player. After Harris, I take Wilder as my starting RB

Interesting premise. Looking at last years rushing totals, these are the imp backs with 3+ years. Jeremiah johnson (5), tyrell sutton (5), cj gable (6)  Also cam marshall has 3 years technically, but played in one game his first year with us. IIRC he was in camp with us at the end of the previous year and all that year on the pr. I might be wrong though, its iffy either way.  William powell has played in 2 seasons, but i believe missed the entire  13 and 16 seasons. Having been around for 4 but only played in 2.  Masoli is the 10th highest rusher, and clearly a qb of 5 years. Only  Alex green with the cats and wilder were rookies.  Interesting aberrations below that include  brandon whitaker (9 seasons) Mossis madu (3) and Brandon rutley (5).

It seems like once a RB shows a flash of any thing up here, they stick and float around up here a long time now. Certianly in that lower tier of sub 500 yard guys you find a fist full of rookies and short term try out guys. 

But looking at how long powell has been around for how much he has actually played is pretty crazy. Id expect that level of hanging on to a qb not soo much a rb.