Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

So, Wilder gets criticized for wanting to better himself with an NFL tryout. Meanwhile, just TODAY the OC in Edmonton resigned to coach in the NFL. Coaches can leave but players can't.  I think anyone who criticizes these players  (like Jacquie) are totally blowing smoke. If coaches can walk out on their contractual responsibilities  in March then players should be able to as well. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, Wilder gets criticized for wanting to better himself with an NFL tryout. Meanwhile, just TODAY the OC in Edmonton resigned to coach in the NFL. Coaches can leave but players can't.  I think anyone who criticizes these players  (like Jacquie) are totally blowing smoke. If coaches can walk out on their contractual responsibilities  in March then players should be able to as well. 

So you think every player should be able to sign a first contract that is for one year. 

(This is meant to be taken as hyperbole)

Edited by Jacquie

16 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Considering how the league has put their foot down on side deals, you really think that could happen. 

If he wants to try the NFL so badly why commit to the extra season with the Argos? If he plays out the contract then he wouldn’t be able to play in the NFL until the 2020 season and he would be 28 years old by then.

Where did you get the $130,000 figure? 

Toronto under Barker had an established culture of allowing players who could obviously win an NFL roster spot to go and try it. Sometimes it works out well and pays us a dividend (ie: Marcus Ball), other times the player takes his release and burns us (ie: Khalif Mitchell), but in either case as well in many others, I'm sure that was a great recruiting tool which kept our pipeline full and in part explains how Barker repeatedly conjured up premium import players year after year.

Do I really think that a handshake deal has taken place with JWJ? Do I think that the Pope wears a goofy hat? I know... it's against a written rule of the league... I'm shocked! Staggered! Astonished!...

$130k? I was being my usual adorable self by adding his 2018 Grey Cup winner bonus to his pay packet.

6 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

So you think every player should be able to sign a first contract that is for one year. 

I unblock you to see the quote of mine you posted and as a two'fer I also get to see this strawman of yours on SF27...

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

The point remains the same... I'm not saying Wilder is shitty but I'm not anointing him anything until I see a full season and, as mentioned, if he can play in shitty weather. 

I keep seeing this meme and can't help but think that the people who wrote it should watch linebackers a little closer.

17 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/05/redblacks-cut-qb-ryan-lindley-report/

Wonder if we'd have any interest as our #3? not a world beater but I've seen a lot worse in terms of prospects we've brought in

That's a measuring stick we hopefully stop using soon.

I agree with the "not a world beater" part, so there's some common ground.  He's also not a football team beater.

And on the plus side, odds are he's not a person or animal beater.

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

So you think players should be slaves?**

**See what I did there - I took a thought you never expressed anywhere and passive-aggressively implied that you have simply because it is possible for one situation to exist within the other - just like you did with SF27.  Good times, good times.

42 minutes ago, mbrg said:

**See what I did there - I took a thought you never expressed anywhere and passive-aggressively implied that you have simply because it is possible for one situation to exist within the other - just like you did with SF27.  Good times, good times.

That was definitely a Cathy Newman move.

Image result for jordan peterson cathy newman memes

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

And just like SF27 did to me. I've gone back to look at my posts over the past 40 pages of this thread (back to when the Wilder thing first started) and didn't see any posts I made that would warrant SF27 singling me out as someone who was criticizing players who are on their first contract wanting out of or wanting to renogiate their contracts so I responded with hyperbole. If you can find something I said criticizing those players, please let me know. 

The CFL and CFLPA agreed to eliminate option years on contracts except for first contracts. If players want that changed then they can negotiate for it in the next CBA. Since bringing back the option year window would only affect players on their first contracts (as they are the only ones with option years) it might not be something that is too high on the CFLPA's list of wants.  If the CFLPA cared more about first contract players and the players who fill out the roster then they would have done more regarding raising the minimum salary. 

Edited by Jacquie

53 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Looks like a few writers over at CFL.ca got into a bag of Tide Pods recently: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/03/06/stamps-take-top-spot-nissan-titan-post-free-agency-power-rankings/

I've always felt the Bombers play better (recently) when they're counted out... maybe these meaningless off-season power rankings will help provide some motivation...

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Grigsby had one good game... Wilder had many more and is a much different kind of player.      

Lol. No he didn't. He had several... So much so that TSN decided to hype him and run a little best athlete in the CFL video based on him. 

Grigsby looked like the real deal for about 3 or 4 games... Wilder looked like the real deal for about 10 games...

not the best comparison ever but fairly similar... personally, I think Wilder is the real deal... I suppose we'll find out this year...

Wilder will be coming into the season with two things working against him.  There's film on him now, and the defences he's facing will be as fresh as he was when he came into the league.  My guess is that he'll be good, but not "Bluto getting the vapours" level good.  As for 2000 yards rushing in the season, ya, good luck with that.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Wilder will be coming into the season with two things working against him.  There's film on him now, and the defences he's facing will be as fresh as he was when he came into the league.  My guess is that he'll be good, but not "Bluto getting the vapours" level good.  As for 2000 yards rushing in the season, ya, good luck with that.

You know that "getting the vapours" is a euphemism for flatulence, right? Somehow, I cannot see Bluto getting that worked up unless he is into bean burritos.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

You know that "getting the vapours" is a euphemism for flatulence, right? Somehow, I cannot see Bluto getting that worked up unless he is into bean burritos.

Ummm, from Wikipedia (the knower of all knowledge): 

In the Victorian Era, a variety of conditions which affected women were referred to as "a case for the vapours". Lady's tight corsets could squeeze their internal organs, including the lungs, and could restrict breathing causing the wearer to feel faint and to require "the vapours".

A description of someone having "a case of the vapours" was sometimes used for a person in a state of emotional agitation.

Seriously read Tennessee Williams, broaden your horizons!

Edited by WBBFanWest