Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

ya im REALLLLLY sure wilder was at risk of having his contract trashed and not getting invited back. 

also, you are right.. he gets to train (for free, doesn't have to pay for any facitilities) and is also given a food and housing allowance as well as his wage. 

and I also forgot to factor in his playoff money.. and bonuses if he had any in his contract.  so that oh so pathetic amount of money (lol) is actually higher then I thought..

Training costs time. Time when he's not making money.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

sure does when you don't pay for food or lodging.. come on man.  also, the argos find their players gigs in the off-season, almost 100% positive on that.

How are the Argos getting Wilder, an American, a job in Toronto? Pretty sure his visa would restrict him to football.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

uhhh, you must be joking?? TO's cost of living is ******* insane. 50k a year is basically nothing. You won't be able to afford a 2 bedroom, or a car not even close to a house. While 50k isn't a horrible wage, there's no way in hell anyone from WPG would be able to continue their way of life if they move to the GTA for the same wage. Drastic changes would have to be made. And if you had 4 kids, yeah starving wages isn't far off.

keep up.  you and I both know he isn't paying rent (or full rent) or food.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

sure does when you don't pay for food or lodging.. come on man.  also, the argos find their players gigs in the off-season, almost 100% positive on that.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. but you legit need to make around 200k before most people would consider they're able to live a comfortable or well off life style in the GTA, even 100k doesn't go far.

Just now, JCon said:

Training costs time. Time when he's not making money.

How are the Argos getting Wilder, an American, a job in Toronto? Pretty sure his visa would restrict him to football.

right.. because teams never find workarounds for stuff like that eh? come on man, don't be deliberately obtuse.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. but you legit need to make around 200k before most people would consider they're able to live a comfortable or well off life style in the GTA, even 100k doesn't go far.

and I get that, I do.  It doesn't change the fact that hes on a rookie contract, 50k isn't exactly minimum wage for 6 months and he signed a contract. 

Just now, SPuDS said:

and I get that, I do.  It doesn't change the fact that hes on a rookie contract, 50k isn't exactly minimum wage for 6 months and he signed a contract. 

He's not breaking the contract. If he plays football in 2018, he'll be an Argo. He's chosen not to play.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

and if 50k for a single guy who doesn't pay (or pays a reduced rate) for food and housing doesn't go far... he has some pretty messed up spending habits that should be addressed.    I get their cost of living is higher but 50 grand is 50 grand.  thats not a small amount of money. its not like we are talking 20k here.

It is a pittance. Woefully inadequate. And he'd need it to last for a year.

He signed the damn contract so... Really... He knew what he was doing.. He had a good half season and wants more money now... This isnt about NFL opportunities cuz a month ago He was talking about being the first 1k 1k guy in the CFL.. This is about cash.. Greed... Its about not honoring the contract you signed. 

I liked him... Good player but... I kinda hope ge fails now and falls flat on his ass... Hes got kids? Why is that relevant? Serious question... What was he doing prior to last season? 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Only in Toronto... his family back home still needs to have a place to live & food to eat.

Why is his family relevant to this... Yeah that sucks that hes away from them.. Thats tough but so are truckers and all sorts of people. I don't get why having4 kids and a woman miles away is a big deal.. He knew what he got in to when he signed the deal. 

These guys come up here to play.. They dont have to.. He decided to make the sacrifice. Wah wah really. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He signed the damn contract so... Really... He knew what he was doing.. He had a good half season and wants more money now... This isnt about NFL opportunities cuz a month ago He was talking about being the first 1k 1k guy in the CFL.. This is about cash.. Greed... Its about not honoring the contract you signed. 

I liked him... Good player but... I kinda hope ge fails now and falls flat on his ass... Hes got kids? Why is that relevant? Serious question... What was he doing prior to last season? 

Well, I would say that he obviously wants to be able to provide for them. So having more money now in exchange for the risk he takes of losing a chance at a far larger paycheck to secure his kids' futures makes bloody good sense to him.

But you knew that.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Well, I would say that he obviously wants to be able to provide for them. So having more money now in exchange for the risk he takes of losing a chance at a far larger paycheck to secure his kids' futures makes bloody good sense to him.

But you knew that.

A month ago he was talking about 1k 1k.. Now he has opportunities elsewhere? Or does he want an extra 10 k? Sorry.. But... Lots of ppl have kids and lots of ppl make it work on 50k a year... Im sorry but this is about greed and nothing else. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

A month ago he was talking about 1k 1k.. Now he has opportunities elsewhere? Or does he want an extra 10 k? Sorry.. But... Lots of ppl have kids and lots of ppl make it work on 50k a year... Im sorry but this is about greed and nothing else. 

People making $50k are not putting their long-term health on the line.

Of course it's about money, the life changing money he can make in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Why is his family relevant to this... Yeah that sucks that hes away from them.. Thats tough but so are truckers and all sorts of people. I don't get why having4 kids and a woman miles away is a big deal.. He knew what he got in to when he signed the deal. 

These guys come up here to play.. They dont have to.. He decided to make the sacrifice. Wah wah really. 

My point wasn't about necessarily about his family.  Spuds was claiming he lives/eats free but that's not the case.  He still has rent/mortgage payments to make & groceries to buy regardless of what the Argo's provide him. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

People making $50k are not putting their long-term health on the line.

Of course it's about money, the life changing money he can make in the NFL.

Are you ******* kidding? Ppl making 50 k who work in factories or the oil fields or whatever else arent putting their health on the line? **** right off. 

A month ago he was mr 1k 1k... Now he has NFL opportunities? Bullshit. 

Edited by Goalie

Well if nothing else I won't have to listen to Rod Black gush over what his daddy did in the NFL. Only Tasker, DoUcheRON Carter and Jeffcoat. Even as a Bomber fan talking about Jeffcoat get sickening. How about some respect. Jeffcoat is a heck of a player. Why not talk about what he's doing on the field and the game. Not about what he or his dad did in the NFL. Commentate on the game and leave tge tired script at home.

Edited by instigater
Bad grammar

Just now, Goalie said:

Are you ******* kidding? Ppl making 50 k who work in factories or the oil fields or whatever else arent putting their health on the line? **** right off

What year is this that you think factory work is some sort of slave operation? Have you been in a factory lately?

Who in the oil fields make $50k/year?

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Only in Toronto... his family back home still needs to have a place to live & food to eat.

Sure and if he has 4 kids, I'd imagine they get child tax at home?  his girlfriend/wife is probably working or collecting EI?  I highly doubt he is the sole income.

I see both sides of the coin on this one. And honestly I don't think either side comes out shining. Wilder should obviously negotiated his contract a bit better, but also, we'd all be naive if the argos didn't basically give him a take it or leave contract for a rookie. And when you're chasing your dream, you're entire life work has go towards you jump at every opportunity.

I don't blame Wilder, like has been said every player has a short amount of time to make as much $$ as possible. Lets not forget how Hefney is living after years of great play.  How is the CFL helping him now? Again I'm not trying to choose a side, but it's more than just a few bumps and bruises. You could legit end up permanently disabled and unable to make a decent living after your short (even if it's long) career. That proves again how much these guys want to play and how that want/need is 100% used by gms when it comes to negotiating a rookie contract. I think a lot of people assume rookies have even some pull when negotiating their 1st contract. And reality is they don't at all. again not saying it's bad or good. Just reality.

Also I don't agree that releasing him would set a precedence for other rookies to get out. Everyone here seems to be down playing his season. He was rookie of the year in the CFL. And helped his team to a grey cup win. That's the precedence it would be setting. So basically a player would have to only play 9 weeks, lead his team at his position, be the CFL rookie of the year and win a grey cup AND have the same type of NFL interest (whatever that may be). Can anyone else name a player who did all that?

On the other side of the coin. The argos are in a tough spot. If they let him go south they risk losing their biggest up and coming star. If they don't, even if he doesn't go to the media, he likely will hold a grudge ESPECIALLY if after his 2nd season there is no longer any NFL interest. Making him less likely to sign after his 1st contract is done. And now that he has gone public and is sitting out, they 1)have no starting RB 2)look like they are holding a player back from making serious $$ 3)will likely have to talk about this with most FAs this up coming feb. 

Had the Argos let him go, they come out looking clean. While admittedly taking a shot at losing one of their best players. However it's not unheard of for players returning from the NFL to go back to the team that let them go mid contract. Don't get me wrong, players will often look for $$$ coming from the same situation. It's a risk. But letting him go, the Argos can ONLY be seen as the good the guys. Now it's at the very least up for debate.  "we let him go chase his dream and he turned his back on us and signed with another CFL club, we don't need that in our locker room" etc etc OR "we let him chase his his dreams, unfortunately that didn't work out, and we are more than happy to have him back here with us." etc etc etc. Of course this would also mean a pay raise for the player, but after their 1st contract they are likely getting one anyways so as a GM you shouldn't be blown away by a negotiation.  Either Way Argos look good.

however it plays out I'm happy, if anything this hopfully plants some seeds in FA that TO may try to **** you, so you should sign with the bombers! :) sorry for the novel.

Edited by Bigblue204

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Sure and if he has 4 kids, I'd imagine they get child tax at home?  his girlfriend/wife is probably working or collecting EI?  I highly doubt he is the sole income.

Nah bro hes hurting. Thats why hes gonna sit a year and do nothing cuz hes struggling so much financially

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

welcome to football/the real world.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

So what you are saying is you make more than 50k in 5 months of work? 

You make 10000 a month? Youd turn 10000 a month down? Ok... I guess you are a drug dealer then cuz nobody makes 10k a month in winnipeg. 

From reading your posts over the past few pages, I can see that you are dead set in your opinion and you wont change it. But here is why I personally disagree with you.

A. No, I am not rich. But both me and my wife (one kid on the way) make more than 50k a year and we're hardly rolling in the cash. And our cost of living is a fraction of what his expenses would be.

B. To play a professional sport is a full year job, you're simply only paid for half that year. It's certainly not as simply as "get a real job".

C. His kids and family are relevant because he is a person. And if he can't afford to live on 50k, then he needs to make a change. 

D. Football players risk more than tearing an acl or breaking bones. Surely you know that they are not just "playing a game" for a living. The risk of CTE, or early onset arthritis in your joints making in painful to move or cause you to become dependent on pain killers.  No, I would absolutely not put on pads for 50k a year. 

Anyways, just my opinion. I think he should be able to make the decision to sit out if he feels it is best for him.  

Edited by Jesse

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

...at the end of the day, you can argue about the 50k all you want, but the guy knew the rules and wage when he signed the deal...

So did the Argos.

And having a 6'2, 235 pounder with breakaway speed who can run inside or outside of the tackles, block and run a route and catch a ball sit out their season because they don't want to give him something closer to market value for his potential 1k/1k production just to accomplish what...? Prove a point of principle?

No. Our principle always has been and always ought to be: winning the Grey Cup.