Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

42 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Does Manziel sign with Hamilton or wait out the ten days to be a free agent? Maybe this is Chris Jones's real plan.

It's not dependent on him signing, it's dependent on the ticats offering a contract. So as long as Hamilton makes an offer they don't lose his rights even if it takes them a month to negotiate a deal. 

4 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I got  banned for disputing the accuracy of Stronson's claim that Franklin was a pending FA last offseason.

No surprise. A small handful set the agenda, which is basically the company line, another handful fall in line to do the heavy lifting out of loyalty to the team brand and whomever runs the site.

If you dont buy into it, even if youre a diehard, you are put on the defensive. 

Jones' treatment of Durant and how previously passionate Durant defenders changed their tune to toe the new company line is a vivid example

4 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I got  banned for disputing the accuracy of Stronson's claim that Franklin was a pending FA last offseason.

There are only two rules in Jonestown:

#1 - Take the Kool-Aid and drink it all down.

#2 - The Plan is the plan and there is nothing outside The Plan.

Edited by JCon

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Will American news hounds swarm ti cats camp if Johnny plays?

if they do, once they realize he's overcome his problems, they'll lose interest.

Good luck to him.

I think attendance would go up when he plays.

And if you're the projected starter how are you supposed to feel about it all especially when your own coach is in love with him ? Media will beat that angle to death too.

1 minute ago, Zontar said:

And if you're the projected starter how are you supposed to feel about it all especially when your own coach is in love with him ? Media will beat that angle to death too.

Yea I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be Masoli at this point.. Collaros must already feel the door smacking him in the back..

gonna be an interesting start to the season in Steeltown.   Hopefully the management there has taken careful notes of the the tire fire down the road in montreal and the gongshow circus in saskabush for pointers on how not to do things lol.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Idk why it took soo long to get to this point. I really dont. A TON of guys have come into the league with worse rap sheets.

Things have changed.  Look at Justin Cox or Art Briles.  Neither of them were ever convicted of a sex crime, but both guys were banned from the league. And those guys were both pre-Weinstein!

(I don't think either banning was unjust. Cox had a rep + a domestic-violence adjacent rapsheet and Briles was caught enabling sex criminals and has never repented or tried to make amends. The CFL is better off wihout them)

Anyway, back to Manziel.  Dude poses a unique risk to the CFL when you multiply the post-Weinstein climate by his humongous profile.  His CFL shot was a story on NFL.com this morning!  I can't believe a failed NFL quarterback still pulls  headlines like that.

J. Football is gonna be the biggest story in the CFL no matter where he's playing or who's playing QB on his team.  If that yuuge story transforms into "CFL quarterback beats girlfriend"  then that's a big problem for the league. It's totally within the commish's responsibility to make sure that the words "CFL" and "domestic violence" never appear together in a headline so  I don't mind him doing his due diligence and making it crystal clear how Mr. Football is gonna behave as a CFL player.

I think the CFL will be hit with a sex crime reckoning someday, probably sooner rather than later. I always think of JBR saying that there are tons of Briles in the NCAA, enabling lots of players to get away with lots of heinous ****, and those players aren't gonna straighten out just cause they're getting paid in a weird foreign country.

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Things have changed.  Look at Justin Cox or Art Briles.  Neither of them were ever convicted of a sex crime, but both guys were banned from the league. And those guys were both pre-Weinstein!

(I don't think either banning was unjust. Cox had a rep + a domestic-violence adjacent rapsheet and Briles was caught enabling sex criminals and has never repented or tried to make amends. The CFL is better off wihout them)

Anyway, back to Manziel.  Dude poses a unique risk to the CFL when you multiply the post-Weinstein climate by his humongous profile.  His CFL shot was a story on NFL.com this morning!  I can't believe a failed NFL quarterback still pulls  headlines like that.

J. Football is gonna be the biggest story in the CFL no matter where he's playing or who's playing QB on his team.  If that yuuge story transforms into "CFL quarterback beats girlfriend"  then that's a big problem for the league. It's totally within the commish's responsibility to make sure that the words "CFL" and "domestic violence" never appear together in a headline so  I don't mind him doing his due diligence and making it crystal clear how Mr. Football is gonna behave as a CFL player.

I think the CFL will be hit with a sex crime reckoning someday, probably sooner rather than later. I always think of JBR saying that there are tons of Briles in the NCAA, enabling lots of players to get away with lots of heinous ****, and those players aren't gonna straighten out just cause they're getting paid in a weird foreign country.

Pretty different cases. Manziel isnt even at the ray rice level. And art briles? Cmon hes on bill cosbys level of awful. 

Its not totally reasonable to make sure cfl and domestic violence never appear in a head line. Its not reasonable to do in any sport, or line of work. You can be heavy handed with repeat DV offenders (of which manziel is not) but you can not prevent it from happening. 

what does sex crimes have to do with manziel? Imo I dont see a sex crime reckoning involving the cfl. If any thing ive allways heard players have a tough time dating or more up here. Gigantic culture shock.

Those who have not travelled in other countries have no idea of the pitfalls there, In South Korea, for example, if a woman tells a cop that a foreigner looked at her in a way that made her uncomfortable, that inevitably will lead to a conviction (the Koreans are xenophobic), a fine of $10,000 or more and/or several years in jail. Plus an international record as a sexual criminal. 

49 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Its not totally reasonable to make sure cfl and domestic violence never appear in a head line. Its not reasonable to do in any sport, or line of work. You can be heavy handed with repeat DV offenders (of which manziel is not) but you can not prevent it from happening. 

what does sex crimes have to do with manziel? Imo I dont see a sex crime reckoning involving the cfl. If any thing ive allways heard players have a tough time dating or more up here. Gigntic culture shock.

Manziel is still dealing with a domestic violence rap in Texas and might not have even been able to play in the NFL if he hadn't been cut -- as of 2016 he was under investigation under their domestic violence policy with a six-game suspension being a possibility. So he's got some stink on him.

I remember all the angst about how the CFL was a refuge for addicts when Ricky Williams came up here (which I think is pretty stupid, but reporters love headlines)  I bet Ambrosie is anxious about headlines about how our league is a refuge for spouse beaters. Thus, the highly public process where Manziel is educated about his expectations.  If he screws up or steps out, the league can say it tried and then just wash their hands of him.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

Those who have not travelled in other countries have no idea of the pitfalls there, In South Korea, for example, if a woman tells a cop that a foreigner looked at her in a way that made her uncomfortable, that inevitably will lead to a conviction (the Koreans are xenophobic), a fine of $10,000 or more and/or several years in jail. Plus an international record as a sexual criminal. 

True. You take risks being in other countries. He probably should have walked away when the other guy escalated the disagreement. But where's the US government in all of this? If Trump wants gratitude to make him feel better then this is the guy to do it for. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

what does sex crimes have to do with manziel? Imo I dont see a sex crime reckoning involving the cfl.

Not so much strictly about Manziel, but we've got a whole thread in General Discussion discussing the endless list of guys who have been recently named and shamed. Warren Moon himself has some stink on him, he paid to make a cheerleader problem go away in 1995, he had a DV charge that same year (his wife testified that she started the fight, the case was dismissed) and he is currently facing some creepy allegations from an executive with his marketing firm.

(and I'm not sure how credible those accusations are, but Moon is on a leave of absence from Hawk broadcasts, so he or his bosses are taking it seriously)

So yeah, you add lots of high-profile dudes getting accused + a culture (in the US, at least) of enabling sex crimes among football players and I have to wonder if we're going to hear about a CFL coach or team pulling some Briles **** for their players.

Edited by johnzo