Halifax Expansion

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just read where the former Ice Edge idiots are looking at putting a team in Halifax. If I was the CFL or Halifax, I would stay as far away from those clowns as possible.

http://www.tsn.ca/group-makes-very-credible-pitch-for-halifax-cfl-franchise-1.917745

enlighten me, why is this a bad thing? 

They are the shady group that swooped in and tried to "rescue" the Phoenix Coyotes with basically none of their own money. They essentially held the city of Glendale hostage. I think the city ended up giving them like $100 million or something.

I wouldn't trust those guys as far as I could throw them.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

They are the shady group that swooped in and tried to "rescue" the Phoenix Coyotes with basically none of their own money. They essentially held the city of Glendale hostage. I think the city ended up giving them like $100 million or something.

Agreed. I thought it was exciting news until I read who was involved. The last thing the CFL needs is an ownership group who has no problem turning on the league.

Edited by Judd

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just read where the former Ice Edge idiots are looking at putting a team in Halifax. If I was the CFL or Halifax, I would stay as far away from those clowns as possible.

http://www.tsn.ca/group-makes-very-credible-pitch-for-halifax-cfl-franchise-1.917745

anyone want to bet that Halifax wins a Grey Cup before we do?

5 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

But... but ....but...they have/had 100 million dollars...

3 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Isnt that kind of how sports ownership works now? Arent most groups leveraging money to own and then trying to make more then they pay? Ala the ufc sale etc? Some owners come in with pure money, but those seem kinda rare. Though the cfl isnt the big bucks of an nba, or nfl team little on the ufc deal. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

I was thinking Halifax Explosion...

yes I'm sure we all saw the word Explosion when we saw Expansion. But I would probably have misgivings about that one (which is why I didn't suggest it myself)

I was thinking Lobsters, but that sounds like something Fredericton or St.John's would have used

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Why not name them the Halifax Blue Bombers? Having a team in each division would surely help our odds of breaking the drought.

It should be “Bluebombers”.

Ottawa Rough Riders vs Saskatchewan Roughriders

or it could be the Halifax Red Blacks...

Edited by ALuCsRED

For those who knocked them about trying to buy the Coyotes... had they pulled it off, and flipped it to someone else for $500 million... would they still be idiots?   It was a pure attempt and a quick buck, Bettman saw it, and shut it down.  You can't blame them for trying.

the difference between trying to buy an NHL team, and expansion for a CFL team.  Hundrededs of millions.  And no gain for the group if it doesn't work.   

Knock it if you like... but you don't understand business if you do.