Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe we are targeting simonese in the draft..if we going that route 

With Couture and Spooner in the fold..Chungh and Goose established and happy here and possibly Gray in a yr or two we can probably wait a round or two to pick an online guy cause after a point they are wasted  picks as they are buried on PR and you lose them anyway.

With Coates.. Wolitowski..possibly DEmski as a free agent then grabbing a receiver in draft makes good sense. 

I would like to see us get Evan Gill to rotate with Faith and Corney as our depth as Marouf develops. 

Ideally we can keep Westerman with increase coming outta Thomas' salary and balance of Thomas and JFG salary to to a Gill or similar DL and Hurls money used on an import mlb

From what I've heard after last training camp from a  reliable source connected to the team Spooner was very far behind Couture. If there's a an offensive lineman available when our first pick comes up who could come in a immediately be an upgrade over Spooner i think we should go with another offensive lineman. Going from 2 to 3 Canadian starters in theory creates more of a need for backup depth on the offensive line.  I feel like we have to ignore Gray at this point and if he ever comes here deal with the embarrassment of riches at that time. We also have to assume that at some point Neufeld is going to be injured because that has been the track record. So when Neufeld is injured are we comfortable with our Canadian offensive line depth consisting of Spooner alone?   I'd take an offensive lineman if there is a quality guy available.  Personally I would push for Couture to start over Neufeld and use Neufeld more as a roster backup who can fill in at tackle or guard as it gives us a better chance of surviving the season with a healthy offensive line. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Maybe we are targeting simonese in the draft..if we going that route 

With Couture and Spooner in the fold..Chungh and Goose established and happy here and possibly Gray in a yr or two we can probably wait a round or two to pick an online guy cause after a point they are wasted  picks as they are buried on PR and you lose them anyway.

With Coates.. Wolitowski..possibly DEmski as a free agent then grabbing a receiver in draft makes good sense. 

I would like to see us get Evan Gill to rotate with Faith and Corney as our depth as Marouf develops. 

Ideally we can keep Westerman with increase coming outta Thomas' salary and balance of Thomas and JFG salary to to a Gill or similar DL and Hurls money used on an import mlb

Interesting that your high oh Gill...  do we know he's starter material?

And... Gray in a year or two...?????  Cant see that

Edited by Floyd

1 hour ago, James said:

Yeah if Lafrance came well under 6 figures id love to see him here for depth. Definitely want to see Demski here at slot. Hoping Coates can build off his spectacular playoff game also

I’m surprised we haven’t signed Lafrance - Lapo loves yac

He's second-all time in Bomber sacks and a Grey Cup champion ... he's seen here moderating his menacing stare so he doesn't slag the camera's lens ... he's the mighty TONY NORMAN!    #vintage55

Tony-Norman-Wnnipeg-Blue-Bombers-1985.jp

(like the big ugly watermark says, this photo is from Scott Grant Photography.  He has tons of great vintage Bomber shots -- alas, all road whites, but based on the other teams in the photos I think he's based in the Eastern division....)

Edited by johnzo

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

@DarrinBauming
Another consideration; if #Bombers move on from Westerman, they need to replace the ratio spot — with ?? Neufeld in for an-assumed ?? MLB previously held by ?? Sam Hurl. I think Winnipeg is looking to start two ??National receivers. FA options: Anthony Parker, Nic Demski.

I think starting six Canadians on offense will be tricky if we still want to use Flanders regularly. If we went with two Canadian receivers, we would have to have a third one ready to play every time Flanders subbed in for Harris.

Signing Lafrance would make it easier to start six.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/27/number-55-2/

NUMBER FIFTY-FIVE
NAME POSITION YEAR
Andre Allen DE 1995
Bill Ceretti (also 6, 39) G, T 1931-41, 1945-49
Mike Dirks DT, T 1972-74
Ryan Donnelly OL 2008-10
Jim Duke (also 65, 70) DE, T 1972-75
Aaron Fiacconi (also 51) C, G 2005-07
Dayroni Harris (also 97) DL 1999-00
Al Haycock HB 1939
Norm King G 1949
Gary Krahn (also 54) G 1977
Duncan MacKinlay (also 50) LB 1978-79
Ted Mikliechuk G 1958, 1960-61
Tony Norman DE 1980-86
Sig Paulson G 1954
Rob Pavan LB 1987
Ken Peeples G 1975
Keith Powe DT 1997
Jerome Rinehart (also 94) DL 1990-92
Randy Scott LB 1980
Steve Scully T 1977
Larry Slagle G 1968-71
Frank Smith G, C 1955
Tommie Smith LB 1996
Bill Smitiuk (also 53) G 1955-57
Paul Swiston OL 2013-14
Tawan Temple LB 1994
Sherwyn Thorson G 1962-68
Jamaal Westerman DE 2015-
Ryland Wickman LB 2000-05
Al Wiley (also 52) G 1950-54

Winnipeg Football Club Hall of Famers:

• Bill Ceretti (1985)
  • Sherwyn Thorson (2001)
  • Tony Norman (2014)

CFL All-Stars

• Jamaal Westerman (2015)

Division All-Stars

• Bill Ceretti (1938, 1940, 1946)
  • Sherwyn Thorson (1962)
  • Tony Norman (1983, 1984, 1985)
  • Jamaal Westerman (2015)

CFL Awards:

• Dr. Beattie-Martin Trophy (Most Outstanding Canadian, West Division) — Jamaal Westerman, 2015

Bomber Team Awards

• Most Outstanding Player – Jamaal Westerman, 2015
  • Most Outstanding Canadian — Jamaal Westerman, 2015
  • Most Outstanding  Defensive Player — Jamaal Westerman, 2015

He Wore It Well: Tony Norman, DE, 1980-86

A big man at 6-5 with a long wingspan, Norman got after opposition quarterbacks with a vengeance during his seven years in Winnipeg. The CFL didn’t start tracking quarterback sacks until 1981 – a year after Norman arrived – but he managed to rack up 59 before leaving for the Minnesota Vikings in 1987. That total ranks second on the Bombers’ all-time list behind only Tyrone Jones, who had 98.

He was added to the Winnipeg Football Club’s Hall of Fame in 2014.

FYI:

Jamaal Westerman has been a Bomber for just two years, but is already putting his stamp all over the club’s records. His 2015 season – in which he had 17 sacks en route to being named the team’s Most Outstanding, Canadian and Defensive Player – was one of the most dominant in club history. He has 25 sacks in his two seasons, the most over a two-year stretch by a Bomber since Elfrid Payton had 28 in 1992-93… In case you missed it, we highlighted hall of fame Bill Ceretti at Number 6.

Notable:

Sherwyn Thorson was a steady fixture on the Bomber offensive line during his days from 1962-68. And it’s little wonder he could handle himself in the trenches – he wrestled at Iowa where he was an NCAA champion in 1962, and is in the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame and University of Iowa Athletics Hall of Fame

31 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I don't see Laurent signing any  cheaper than Westerman would...  

Laurant is more of a need tho, worth spending it on.. DE's we have some pretty good ones at the moment...

that would be my rationale on it anyway.

8 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Laurant is more of a need tho, worth spending it on.. DE's we have some pretty good ones at the moment...

that would be my rationale on it anyway.

Poop/Nevis are as good or better than Jeffcoat/Okpalaugo...

I look at it as depth - for me Westerman/Corney is a much better rotation than Ekakitie/Laurent

I'd rather spend big money on Konar then try for value signings of Gascon-Nadon, Lafrance and Demski...  

Edited by Floyd

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Poop/Nevis are as good or better than Jeffcoat/Okpalaugo...

I look at it as depth - for me Westerman/Corney is a much better rotation than Ekakitie/Laurent

I'd rather spend big money on Konar then try for value signings of Gascon-Nadon, Lafrance and Demski...  

oh I agree.  I'd rather keep Westerman too if it worked out but I can see the logic behind going after Laurent though.   either option would work well for the D-line.

5 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

What’s all the hype for Konar and Gascon-Nadon?

Konar is everything we wanted Waggoner to be and he'll only get better imo - plus Benevides system is similar to Hall's so I think you could plug-n-play at WIL

Gascon-Nadon had a huge 2016 season but dropped off last year - along with everyone else in Ottawa... - I think you can get him at a value -signing if Westerman is deemed too expensive

I truly believe Demski is a done deal, but is there anyone else out there we’re hearing is likely to come here?

I’ve read conflicting reports of whether or not Chris Matthews is still with the Ravens or a FA? Darren Cameron had been keeping in touch with him. I wonder if he still is.

Edited by Dirty30