Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Hurl could be replaced roster wise by Gauthier..Renaud..Conteh..all guys still making sig. less

I would have liked to see Miles get some defensive reps last year.  Based on what he did in Toronto, he should be good enough to be our back-up MLB if we lose our import starter (assumption) during the game but I'd prefer to see him prove it.  If he did get some time on the field, I missed it.

I am more concerned with backing up that spot and where we move the ratio to as a result of going American there than whether or not we can find guys who play teams.

If I were the Bomber GM, I'd have offers on the table to (and expect to sign 5-6 of these 20):

The rest (in order of priority):

Larry Dean

Kirby Fabien

Demski

Jake Harty

Roy Finch

Mrabure

Zack Evans

Craig Roh

Adam Konar

Cody Fajardo

Lafrance

Alex Dupuis

Owusu-Ansah, corner from Argos

Steele, Gill (if I struck out on all the other NI DL I've mentioned)

Our own:

Westerman (no more than $150,000 with some upfront)

Thomas

Heath

Normand

Hurl

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Ray was ages ago and since moved on. Sask was ages ago also. 

I meant specifically in the year 2017 2018... 

BC? Yup. Lulay and Jennings both BC finds 

Edmonton? Nope. Reilly was a BC find 

Glenn in Sask? Nope. Bridge? Nope 

Nichols? Nope 

BLM in Calgary? Yup 

Ray in Toronto? Nope 

Collaros in Hamilton? Nope. Masoli? Wasnt he an Eskimo before

Harris in Ottawa? Nope 

Durant in Montreal? Nope. 

So wow 2 maybe 3 of 9 teams had homegrown QBs. 

Fun fact: who the **** cares where your QB starts out.. Would you cheer harder if Nichols was a Bomber find? Like honestly who really cares 

Using only a one or two year sample is an odd way of looking at it. Every single CFL QB spent time developing on a team somewhere, if they didn't the league wouldn't have any.  Toronto, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary and BC.  Each of those teams has brought at least one QB in to the CFL in the past 5 to 10 years - who is now a starter somewhere. 

If you think that doesn't matter, that's okay with me, by the way.

Obviously my opinion is biased as a Winnipeg local, but I think developing talent for our team is particularly important. Lots of players speak of how much they love playing in Winnipeg once they get here, no doubt some of that talk is sugar-coated. That said - if we can develop young players while they have cheap contracts, they tend to like it here. This in turn makes for an easier bargaining process down the line when those players want to get paid.

Just my two cents.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Using only a one or two year sample is an odd way of looking at it. Every single CFL QB spent time developing on a team somewhere, if they didn't the league wouldn't have any.  Toronto, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary and BC.  Each of those teams has brought at least one QB in to the CFL in the past 5 to 10 years - who is now a starter somewhere. 

If you think that doesn't matter, that's okay with me, by the way.

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about teams who developed a QB who started for them, not ones who became starters for other teams.

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about teams who developed a QB who started for them, not ones who became starters for other teams.

The goal posts got narrowed to 2017 - 2018, so I figured what the heck, let’s go for an all out expansion. 

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Also think Konar would be the new Hurl six games into the season if signed. 

He is very overrated.  Edmonton’s D was pretty horrendous.  Recall the Bombers offense feasting on their LB’s including Konar.  Konar isn’t a guy I’d want out there on D anymore than the Bombers have used a guy like Briggs the last couple years, but he’d still be the best Canadian LB on our team if we signed him.  And you need some guys to play roles because you can’t run the same 12 out there every down.

8 hours ago, Atomic said:

150k for Westerman?  No chance.  He's been an all star quality Canadian DE for 3 years.  Someone is going to pay him big money.

That’s fine.  For the number of snaps he played for the Bombers last season when healthy he was overpaid.  Basically got to a point where him and Corney were nearly splitting snaps 1:1.  I don’t think he’s going to be an every down player again, at least on a good D.

There are cheaper options to fill rotational roles on the DL who can play very good as well.  There’s actually many options in free agency and then the draft.

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That’s fine.  For the number of snaps he played for the Bombers last season when healthy he was overpaid.  Basically got to a point where him and Corney were nearly splitting snaps 1:1.  I don’t think he’s going to be an every down player again, at least on a good D.

There are cheaper options to fill rotational roles on the DL who can play very good as well.  There’s actually many options in free agency and then the draft.

I don't think he was overly that great last season either. I was a big fan but he was a step slower last season, and took some bad penalties. 

9 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Konar is staying  put or going to BC so don’t get your hopes up.

Totally agree. Konar is a Vancouver lad whose dad, Kevin Konar, played for the Lions for 10 years and is on their Wall of Honour. Gotta think that growing up in that situation, the kid would love to play for BC.

Also pretty sure it was Ed Hervy, the Lions current GM, who drafted Konar when he was the Esks  GM. So there's that connection too.

DL and/or Rec is our best bet to pick up NAT freeagent for ratio standpoint.

DL - retain Westerman or pickup any NAT DT available

REC - this I believe will be our direction, maybe Demski and draft a rec 

Unless of course, Henoc comes loose. Does he has any upcoming bonus? ?

Edited by M.O.A.B.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/09/gm-kyle-walters-approaching-free-agency/

Am I crazy or does it sound like Walters isn't planning on pursuing a MACK backer, opting to run with what we have already? 

Yes, but I hope he's simply trying not to tip his hand early. We may be in for a surprise.

We look at making the roster the best we can within the salary cap parameters. Jovan had a great year last year once he got on the field and played the (weak-side) linebacker spot and in college played (middle). Ian has proven he can play either spot. We also like a couple of young guys that finished the year on the practice roster.

“Our linebacker corps, albeit not the big-name guys, we think they’re young and we think they’re athletic. Ian in there provides some flexibility and eases our mind a bit in that he can play either position very well. There are other spots on our roster, when you look at the priorities, in regards to what it’s going to cost to fill various holes and who we have in house that we think can do it currently under contract.”

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/09/gm-kyle-walters-approaching-free-agency/

Am I crazy or does it sound like Walters isn't planning on pursuing a MACK backer, opting to run with what we have already? 

Well if the option is going with Taylor Reed at high 6 figures or what we have plus rookies....I'm going with what we have.  Larry Dean is really the only guy that interests me of the big money LB's.