Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

That would be good but I really think we can't expect him to get them  much more than half the time.

Especially when thrown into double coverage, BLM-style. :-)

23 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Well, he doesn’t really have the ability to throw those balls with guys like Dressler, Denmark, Coates, JFG, etc. on the field. 

None of those guys are really 50/50 long ball receivers. They can't be expected to go downfield at full speed & then out jump the coverage. So, I agree with blueandgold on this. I'd love to see the Bombers use the Eskimos, Riders or Stampeder model that no receiver playing for them is under 6 feet tall. I want more physical receivers. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

It's fine to have a guy like that but Nichols does not throw up many of those balls.

We could well have that allready. But thats not what nichols or the offense do. May as well hope for a new goaltender for the bombers.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

None of those guys are really 50/50 long ball receivers. They can't be expected to go downfield at full speed & then out jump the coverage. So, I agree with blueandgold on this. I'd love to see the Bombers use the Eskimos, Riders or Stampeder model that no receiver playing for them is under 6 feet tall. I want more physical receivers. 

Adams is that guy.  Washington has that tool set. Givens has the potential.  Would be nice to have a guy who was even more of a miss match monster. But I dont believe we would adapt to make great use of em.  Im not in general one to worry about player type, as much as quality. The coaches job is to take the best players and put them in positions to make plays.  

A play calls for a guy to do some thing specific in a certain area. But the way he does that, the tactics used to achieve the strategy are various. Great coaches recognize the talent they have and help them (with the position coach) to dial in technique. That might be subtle shifts like what you do when a DB shades you one way or another, adjusting when you  burst in your route, etc. Stuff like using play design (snag and rub routes) to create separation for slower guys, or top speed guys, or poorer route runners, and iso/run offs to create 1 on 1s etc. We dont do a lot of that. We hammer our pieces to fit what we want to do.  Rather then playing to their strengths.  Until we maximize our use of the talent we have bringing in the best guys in the world at what we dont do wont help. 

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We could well have that allready. But thats not what nichols or the offense do. May as well hope for a new goaltender for the bombers.

Great coaches recognize the talent they have and help them (with the position coach) to dial in technique. That might be subtle shifts like what you do when a DB shades you one way or another, adjusting when you  burst in your route, etc. Stuff like using play design (snag and rub routes) to create separation for slower guys, or top speed guys, or poorer route runners, and iso/run offs to create 1 on 1s etc. We dont do a lot of that. We hammer our pieces to fit what we want to do.  Rather then playing to their strengths.  Until we maximize our use of the talent we have bringing in the best guys in the world at what we dont do wont help

I think you're right. Dressler seemed to be put in positions where he got killed out there. Thorpe seemed to be a good receiver for the kind of offense Lapo wants to run but he got left on the bench. I sure don't want to see Adams running crossing routes any more if he means he's going to get blown up like he did against BC. Lankford just seemed so ineffective in the role he was asked to perform.  If I hear you correctly, this is on Lapo.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Adams is that guy.  Washington has that tool set. Givens has the potential.  Would be nice to have a guy who was even more of a miss match monster. But I dont believe we would adapt to make great use of em.  Im not in general one to worry about player type, as much as quality. The coaches job is to take the best players and put them in positions to make plays.  

A play calls for a guy to do some thing specific in a certain area. But the way he does that, the tactics used to achieve the strategy are various. Great coaches recognize the talent they have and help them (with the position coach) to dial in technique. That might be subtle shifts like what you do when a DB shades you one way or another, adjusting when you  burst in your route, etc. Stuff like using play design (snag and rub routes) to create separation for slower guys, or top speed guys, or poorer route runners, and iso/run offs to create 1 on 1s etc. We dont do a lot of that. We hammer our pieces to fit what we want to do.  Rather then playing to their strengths.  Until we maximize our use of the talent we have bringing in the best guys in the world at what we dont do wont help. 

Agree about Adams.  He showed last season that  he can make big plays downfield. Wish he could stay healthy. I'm hopeful we sign a couple of CFL experienced receivers who can make plays. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Adams got hurt......and we couldn't stretch the field AT ALL.   

Never mind the downfield game....it also hurt our underneath game, with DB's able to come down heavy on those short patterns and the screen game to Harris.   Washington and Givens have proven zippo, at this exact point.   Need plenty of competition at camp, next year.

This is the missing link on O.   

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Adams got hurt......and we couldn't stretch the field AT ALL.   

Never mind the downfield game....it also hurt our underneath game, with DB's able to come down heavy on those short patterns and the screen game to Harris.   Washington and Givens have proven zippo, at this exact point.   Need plenty of competition at camp, next year.

This is the missing link on O.   

Derek walker would solve this 

I'd also take jorden or Jackson at sb 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

All the talk about FA receivers, how about Kyle Walters does his ******* job and find some guys who can play the position and supplement the guys we do have, just like every other GM in the league manages to do. 

I still say the guy proved he could do it by finding TJ Thorpe, who woulda been a superstar in the making, if he wasn't mental.......point is, I think the scouts can do it. Thorpe gives me hope...

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but 1 guy in 4 seasons? Gotta be better than that. 

baby steps, lol.

No I concur, we need to be capable of finding some pass catchers. It should be one of the easier positions to stock talent at.. I wonder if Walters and scouts are maybe being too cute and only bringing in some specific guys, ones who have been on neg list for awhile type scenario..

I think Givens will turn out to be a good find for us as well though.. so potentially 2 in one year is a good sign..

5 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

baby steps, lol.

No I concur, we need to be capable of finding some pass catchers. It should be one of the easier positions to stock talent at.. I wonder if Walters and scouts are maybe being too cute and only bringing in some specific guys, ones who have been on neg list for awhile type scenario..

I think Givens will turn out to be a good find for us as well though.. so potentially 2 in one year is a good sign..

well part of me wonders how much hand Lapo has in it, because I seem to recall one of the things he wanted in coming back here as OC was more say in who was on his offense. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

well part of me wonders how much hand Lapo has in it, because I seem to recall one of the things he wanted in coming back here as OC was more say in who was on his offense. 

true, he does seem to like specific talents on his offensive teams.. always thought he was a systems guy more so building a system around players..

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I still say the guy proved he could do it by finding TJ Thorpe, who woulda been a superstar in the making, if he wasn't mental.......point is, I think the scouts can do it. Thorpe gives me hope...

The jury is still out on Thorpe. He looked okay in his limited playing time but was hardly a dominant receiver.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

He looked REALLY good for a 1st year player....

And how many "promising" players have we had that just didn't pan out. Thorpe wasn't good enough to displace any of the Rider receivers, although they were a darned good bunch. The sample size was just too small to make a definitive judgement.