The Consolidated Bitchfest Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

MOS' turn around of the culture here is amazing- that alone deserves great consideration when re-upping his contract.

Amazing culture doesn't win playoff games. None. Queue year #5 of Culture Club.

A couple of things that no one is talking about:

1.  Last year, we were 1 first down away from a 50 yard FG to win the game. This year we were down by 3 8 point TD's with only about  10 minutes left in the fourth quarter.  An extra win during the season is nice and all, but are we really going in the right direction when we're farther away from winning the WSF than we were last year?
  2. Sometimes the HC to take a team from horrible to competitive isn't the kind of HC you need to get over the hump from competitive during the season to winning playoff games. Are the current group the right folks to get us over that hump?
Edited by TBURGESS

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

1.  Last year, we were 1 first down away from a 50 yard FG to win the game. This year we were down by 3 8 point TD's with only about  10 minutes left in the fourth quarter.  An extra win during the season is nice and all, but are we really going in the right direction when we're farther away from winning the WSF than we were last year?
  2. Sometimes the HC to take a team from horrible to competitive isn't the kind of HC you need to get over the hump from competitive during the season to winning playoff games. Are the current group the right folks to get us over that hump?

You may make some good points, but this fails to take into account the significant injuries hampering this team. Not to mention, the 2017 Eskimos are far better than the 2016 Lions were.

4 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

You may make some good points, but this fails to take into account the significant injuries hampering this team. Not to mention, the 2017 Eskimos are far better than the 2016 Lions were.

I’m not one to play “what if” but if this team was healthy I think we win this game walking away.

42 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Ahhh.. typical Tburg. 

yup those are the ONLY differences between the entire two seasons..   nothing else had happened or changed or caused any other things to be taken into consideration.  Nope, we lost our playoff game worse... we MUST BE WORSE!!

and Oshea has been the architect of this rebirth.. why the bleep would we want to look elsewhere as (even if you refuse to see it) the team continues to trend upwards?

2 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

I’m not one to play “what if” but if this team was healthy I think we win this game walking away.

How would the presence of Leggett, and Adams have stopped the botched fake punt and glaring breakdowns in the defensive coverage?

59 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I hate "what if's" also but even with a 100% healthy team I don't think we win. If for no other reason that a Richie Hall defense still gives up 400-500 yds even when healthy.

27 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Ahhh.. typical Tburg. 

yup those are the ONLY differences between the entire two seasons..   nothing else had happened or changed or caused any other things to be taken into consideration.  Nope, we lost our playoff game worse... we MUST BE WORSE!!

and Oshea has been the architect of this rebirth.. why the bleep would we want to look elsewhere as (even if you refuse to see it) the team continues to trend upwards?

Typical SPUDS. Whine about my posts and bring up 'red herrings'.

I'm not going to recap the entire season and point out all the things that should be taken into consideration. No one does that. I will say that injuries played a part in this season, but every team goes thru them. The better coaches and GM's manage to win thru them.

Under MOS, we got to the playoffs in his 3rd season. He still hasn't won a playoff game after 4 seasons. We were closer to winning our playoff game last year than we were this year. Is that actually trending upwards? If you go by playoff wins, and I'll take playoff wins over regular season wins, then you have to say the Riders had a better season this year and are trending upwards even more than we are.

Compare MOS to Jones, who took over as bad a team. He got into the playoffs in his second season and won a playoff game in that season and he's got a chance to win another one next week.

Compare MOS to Trestman who took over as bad a team. He not only got into the playoffs in his first season, he got first in the east with a better record than MOS got in either of his first 2 seasons. He also has a chance next week to win a playoff game.

6 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Are Darvin Adams, Travis Bond, Mo Leggett, Jamal Westerman and a fully functional Matt Nichols enough to overcome an 8 point deficit? 

Absolutely.

You think we get those last 16 points if Edmonton needed to stop us? You think that Edmonton would have tried to simply run out the clock if they needed to score?

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Are Darvin Adams, Travis Bond, Mo Leggett, Jamal Westerman and a fully functional Matt Nichols enough to overcome an 8 point deficit? 

Absolutely.

I would disagree with you. Nichols could not have been any better- he was great, busted finger or not. Hall's charges gave the game away. Hall was not on the field, but he bears the final responsibility and deserves to be unceremoniously turfed.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

Edmonton was not healthy going into this game though.

https://www.esks.com/roster/

It speaks to a lack of depth on the Bomber roster that they suffer a few injuries to their starters and play poorly the final third of the season.  This team had the fewest man-games lost to injury in the entire CFL.  Management needs to do a better job of recruiting talent from the US next season.

If your D front can't pressure the QB....who's fault?

If the MLB is told by the HC that his job is to eat blockers....who's fault

If DBs blow deep cover on a 3 deep zone......who's fault

Poor depth....who's fault......

good players make good coaches great.....poor players get good coaches fired.......

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

If your D front can't pressure the QB....who's fault?

If the MLB is told by the HC that his job is to eat blockers....who's fault

If DBs blow deep cover on a 3 deep zone......who's fault

Poor depth....who's fault......

good players make good coaches great.....poor players get good coaches fired.......

Wait, earlier you were saying coaching had nothing to do with anything yesterday. That what happened was all related to personnel issues. Now, you're saying good players make coaches great. Whose fault is it if the MLB is expected to eat blockers? That's all coaching. You just contradicted yourself. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Typical SPUDS. Whine about my posts and bring up 'red herrings'.

I'm not going to recap the entire season and point out all the things that should be taken into consideration. No one does that. I will say that injuries played a part in this season, but every team goes thru them. The better coaches and GM's manage to win thru them.

Under MOS, we got to the playoffs in his 3rd season. He still hasn't won a playoff game after 4 seasons. We were closer to winning our playoff game last year than we were this year. Is that actually trending upwards? If you go by playoff wins, and I'll take playoff wins over regular season wins, then you have to say the Riders had a better season this year and are trending upwards even more than we are.

Compare MOS to Jones, who took over as bad a team. He got into the playoffs in his second season and won a playoff game in that season and he's got a chance to win another one next week.

Compare MOS to Trestman who took over as bad a team. He not only got into the playoffs in his first season, he got first in the east with a better record than MOS got in either of his first 2 seasons. He also has a chance next week to win a playoff game.

I don't like Jones. At times, I think he lacks integrity as he cheats. The roster situation last year with practice players & working out Johnny Manziel even though he was on the Ti Cats Neg List.  He is an embarrassment to the Riders at times but between he & John Murphy they kept signing players at all positions. They totally revamped their team on the fly & well, you can't argue with results. Doesn't mean I like his methods but he ultimately was successful.

What did the Bombers do? Stood pat. Really didn't bring in a lot of players especially at receiver & defensive back to challenge the guys we had. We decided to go with "the guys that brung us here", so to speak & management never really challenged the roster to get better. Which really hurt us when the injuries started. Was that a mistake? I'd have liked us to have been more aggressive but do we have the scouting staff with the connections John Murphy has? At times I wonder. I think you sign players, evaluate & add them as needed if they are better than the players we already have. That's what I think. We were very passive with personnel issues. It cost us yesterday.

Coaching....scouting.....lack of depth......a meriate of contributing factors......Assistant Coaches....are given players that they have to use.....Be it the HC....GM....or Personnel Dept.....the staff is an their mercy.....there fate is determined by them....the crap rolls down hill and the lower ranks on the staff get to swallow the sword first.  Miller gets to fire....the GM....or tells the GM who to fire. So often those that are most responsible get to dodge the  bullet.....for now at least.

So Blame the DC...sure....zero offensive TDs in 3 games?   A complex situation....with no singular solution.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Why are you operating under the assumption the game script is identical if we are healthy?

I'm not, but the guys mentioned aren't DB's, so they wouldn't have helped the breakdowns that allowed Edmonton to get up by 3 TD's in the first place.

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You think we get those last 16 points if Edmonton needed to stop us? You think that Edmonton would have tried to simply run out the clock if they needed to score?

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not, but the guys mentioned aren't DB's, so they wouldn't have helped the breakdowns that allowed Edmonton to get up by 3 TD's in the first place.

ia5646a59d.jpg