The Turning Point

BigBlue

Turning point was when Richie Hall and Sam Hurl arrived at the stadium today. Those 2 need to be replaced before this team can take the next step. That and O'shea's coddling of his players and dumb decisions at critical times. If a player stinks, he needs to be replaced. How many games did Carmichael cost us with his horrible play before he finally left? And IIRC he left on his on accord, it wasnt even a situation where the Bombers got rid of him. And right up until the end O'shea would spoon feed us bulls**t about how they liked his game and he was coming around. Hurl has been a speed bump the entire season but ill bet if you asked O'shea he would tell you he is doing his job well and they like his game. I mean christ, in the postgame interview when Bob asked him about the godawful breakdowns in the secondary he STILL defended them saying something along the lines of it wasnt all their fault and its not why they lost. ENOUGH CODDLING ALREADY. Quit feeding us horsesh*t and telling us its filet mignon. You think guys like Hurl would still be around in the days of Cal Murphy or Dave Ritchie? Not a chance.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Isnt the Gable TD after the blown fake just... Our season on D in a nutshell? I mean 8 9 10 guys carried in to the end zone... I feel if we could tackle esks kick a fg instead. We all knew the D wasnt good enough. Today.. Confirmed it even more. 

That or we're rushing four with eight in coverage and somehow a guy is wide open, no one within fifteen yards of him.. just a brutal effort and game plan by the bend and break defense. 

1 hour ago, White Out said:

You can't fix dumb. And Michael O'Shea is the dumbest coach in the CFL. I'm not saying that he is dumb; but of all the coaches he is the dumbest. This is this year's version of the 68-yard field goal, or whatever the hell it was

I gotta say it was very courteous of the refs to give him his challenge and timeout back when he tried to challenge Dressler's fumble that had already automatically been reviewed. He's lucky he didn't get called for delay of game. Does that mean he's too stupid to understand the challenge rules? Or is he so stubborn that he knew he couldn't challenge it, and just wanted to muck around with the refs anyways?

50 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I feel in football especially there isnt 1 turning point... There are multiple turning points.. 

Kicking FGs instead of TDs.

Kind of abandoning Harris.

The Fake. 

Blown Coverages. 

Missed tackles at the Worst time. 

Dropped passes. 

We really missed Adams today tho. Number 1 off season priority besides a new DC needs to be find some darn receivers. 

And a legit middle linebacker.

I'm sad. I'm upset. But I think we've seen alot of progress this year.

One thing we need to be proud of --- the boys had grit all year long. We lost some close ones (by 1 point) and could have been first in the west had we not stunk up the last few weeks. 

We've come back being down huge. We haven't seen that kind of grit in years. 

We had big injuries hit at the worst possible time. Can you bet if Westerman, Adams and others were still on the roster we'd have the same result? Don't think so.

We need to fill a few gaps --- namely our DC, Secondary, and more depth at receiver, but no real blowing up the farm. We've made progress the last two y ears.

Yes the end result sucks. I will down another drink. And then count the days to next year.

43 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We gave up 6 big plays... They didnt smoke us... We just made mistakes... On all 3 phases of the game. We lost because the Esks are a better team and we couldnt tackle or cover for **** in the 2nd half... 

Ppl talk about a fake punt... Lol.. The way our D was playing... Esks would have scored if that drive started at their 1 yard line. 

You don't know that. Field position wins games & we gave up a ton of real estate by not punting which led to the Esks scoring a TD. We had stopped their offense the series before. We lost all the momentum we had after that fake. It was definitely the turning point. It was a dumb call.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You don't know that. Field position wins games & we gave up a ton of real estate by not punting which led to the Esks scoring a TD. We had stopped their offense the series before. We lost all the momentum we had after that fake. It was definitely the turning point. It was a dumb call.

I just cant say there was 1 turning point when there were multiple others that hurt just as much. I dunno... 18 to 10 moments later? 8 points is a turning point? I dunno bout that. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I just cant say there was 1 turning point when there were multiple others that hurt just as much. I dunno... 18 to 10 moments later? 8 points is a turning point? I dunno bout that. 

They then scored another TD & it was over. The Bombers were sapped of anything to mount a comeback. That's when the defensive breakdowns started. It was a huge turning point.

That weird decision basically set the tone for the rest of the quarter. The Eskimos used that momentum swing and dominated that 15-min. frame.

The third quarter was the difference today, IMO. And I have to think cause and effect plays a role and that shitty ass decision was the catalyst.

Flanders only needed to get 3 yards.......just didn't work.    But that was no reason (or excuse) for the D to just fold like a cheap suit, on that drive.....and then completely fall apart as the half went on....

D also fell apart late, in the playoff, last year as well......

Tiring....

Edited by do or die

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

On the bright side I am more convinced than ever that Matt Nichols ends our grey cup drought.

I said the same thing.  At least we have a QB and a pretty good offence.  Just need another couple of receivers.  

On defence, well that's what has me confused.   I felt that we had the horses on defence other than a LB or two.   But now I cant tell if it's coaching or the players that are screwing up?

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I said the same thing.  At least we have a QB and a pretty good offence.  Just need another couple of receivers.  

On defence, well that's what has me confused.   I felt that we had the horses on defence other than a LB or two.   But now I cant tell if it's coaching or the players that are screwing up?

Its the coaching, and you can take that to the bank.

Just now, Goalie said:

Missed tackles and blown coverage is a on coaching? Im no hall fan but... How is that coaching? 

EXACTLY.   Our DB personnel is garbage.  Loffler IMO was brutal all year.   Alexander is a rookie and looked like a player playing his fist post-season game.  Hurl is just awful.   It's entirely possible that Hall's schemes were good, but the personnel could not execute it.  Then again, if you don't have the personnel, then as a coach ADJUST your schemes to your personnel.   We need a legit Middle Line Backer.   And I hope Leggett comes back healthier next year.  He was missed today.

18 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Missed tackles and blown coverage is a on coaching? Im no hall fan but... How is that coaching? 

Things don't become  true just because you say them over and over.  When they drop 8 players into coverage, receivers shouldn't be wide open making uncontested catches.  If it happens once a while, that's one thing.  But it happened multiple times today and that's a scheme issue.

What's your point anyway?  You don't think they need a change at DC? 

21 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

EXACTLY.   Our DB personnel is garbage.  Loffler IMO was brutal all year.   Alexander is a rookie and looked like a player playing his fist post-season game.  Hurl is just awful.   It's entirely possible that Hall's schemes were good, but the personnel could not execute it.  Then again, if you don't have the personnel, then as a coach ADJUST your schemes to your personnel.   We need a legit Middle Line Backer.   And I hope Leggett comes back healthier next year.  He was missed today.

They had enough starters coming out of TC to not have to start Hurl at MLB - I have been shaking my head about that all year - it's inexplicable

It was a different story after they lost Westerman, but before then there was no reason why they had to do it

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Things don't become  true just because you say them over and over.  When they drop 8 players into coverage, receivers shouldn't be wide open making uncontested catches.  If it happens once a while, that's one thing.  But it happened multiple times today and that's a scheme issue.

What's your point anyway?  You don't think they need a change at DC? 

But when things are true... Cuz missed tackles and blown coverage are on the players. No. I want hall gone also.. I just cant blame him for missed tackles and assignments

I'm convinced it's the system. I can't honestly believe the personnel on the defense is as bad as it has looked in recent weeks, including today.

Randle, Heath, Loffler, Santos-Knox, Wild... These are all talented players capable of making an impact. I have to think the system in which they've played doesn't play to their collective strengths.

Edited by blue_gold_84