Should this regime be on the hot seat?

White Out

Should another Semi Final exit be the end of this regime?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should another Semi Final exit be the end of this regime?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If LaPo is stupid enough to leave for Montreal to work under Kavis Reed then he deserves the firing that will inevitably happen. We need a new DC. We need better linebackers. We need better receivers. We need to upgrade our backup qb positions.  The secondary needs help at a couple of positions.

Look at what you're asking for. What makes you think we're suddenly going to find and upgrade our talent at all those positions? Sure we were able to do it when we had poor players before but that's not the case now. Now that we're a midling team it is harder to upgrade our talent. We have some good pieces but I'm not even sure we can hang on to them let alone upgrade in all the areas you've identified. At least we haven't been able to in four years.

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

Look at what you're asking for. What makes you think we're suddenly going to find and upgrade our talent at all those positions? Sure we were able to do it when we had poor players before but that's not the case now. Now that we're a midling team it is harder to upgrade our talent. We have some good pieces but I'm not even sure we can hang on to them let alone upgrade in all the areas you've identified. At least we haven't been able to in four years.

Other teams do it. I don't know what the issue would be that you refer to? You need great scouting, drafting & targeting FA's in February. 

They need their recent draft picks to become starters. Once we've drafted and developed some ratio breakers, other pieces will be easier to add.  Right now we are handcuffed by the ratio in several areas, especially in the trenches, receiver, and depth. Goossen and Chungh are  a good start, just keep it up. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Other teams do it. I don't know what the issue would be that you refer to? You need great scouting, drafting & targeting FA's in February. 

The deepest most stable team is probably Calgary and even they are struggling as of late. We do not have that kind of structure. Toronto and Sask have probably done the best job in a short time but they have experienced, tenured GMs, HCs, and coordinators. We chose to go with rookies and although they are no longer rookies these are the results.

1 minute ago, J5V said:

The deepest most stable team is probably Calgary and even they are struggling as of late. We do not have that kind of structure. Toronto and Sask have probably done the best job in a short time but they have experienced, tenured GMs, HCs, and coordinators. We chose to go with rookies and although they are no longer rookies these are the results.

Okay, then give us your solution.

7 hours ago, White Out said:

Can they get fired for blowing an 11 win season?

Doubtful, but they will, and should, be on a much shorter leash.  There is little doubt that the Bombers are a solid team  offensively when they have all their key players healthy.  However they seem like they are lacking depth and even at the best of times the defence is awful.  The good news?  Hall's defence is often much stronger in the playoffs.

Edited by mfranc

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay, then give us your solution.

Really? You're going to walk me into this? Sigh. <dons flame-retardant underwear> Same as always. An EXPERIENCED GM with the connections to bring in more and better talent and an EXPERIENCED HC who knows at least enough to play his best players when he has them. 

Unlike J5V who seems to be saying there's little hope of the Bombers ever really improving, I'm still optimistic that a very good off season could propel this team to a championship in 2018.  No reason why this team can't be better next season. 

Nice. Under_The_Bus.gif LOL!

Unlike J5V who seems to be saying there's little hope of the Bombers ever really improving, I'm still optimistic that a very good off season could propel this team to a championship in 2018.  No reason why this team can't be better next season. 

With our depth and the rash of injuries I doubt much would change. No team can survive what we've just been through injury-wise.

I don't think Osh or Walters are going anywhere but if we are one and done, I hope 2 things are considered in the offseason... 1. They take a hard look at how they operate. I get Osh has loyalties, and values certain type of players, but when a talented player becomes available despite some baggage that could help the team on the field,  there should be some effort made to try and acquire them. Not sure if there has been or not,  but seems we are never in the running to land anyone.  Not saying Walters needs to call everyone and spend frivolously, but if it's right there pull the trigger and sort out any sms issues after.

2. Get rid of Hall and bring in Thorpe. 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

My initial reaction when Walters and then O'Shea were hired was that both a rookie GM and a rookie head coach would mean several years of struggle. That guesstimate was based on the hirees being smart and willing to learn, but there have been decisions that O'Shea made which were puzzling and Walters-his scouting crew, really- have failed to recruit well in critical areas. The injuries served to make a team marginally competitive team into a bad one. I cannot see how the Bombers can do well in the playoffs, even with Nichols back, so we are looking at 2018.

I have been as critical of MOS as anyone but this team has turned it around the last 2 years once we found a capable QB. The backup QB when your trying to develop one you never know how they will pan out till they are thrown into the fire, can't really pin that on MOS ethier. We also have been struck by terrible injuries with no hope of bringing in some CFL vets to help, again can't pin that on MOS. We stay the course imo and look at a new DC and better backup Qbs  in the off-season.

Yesterday's game might be one of the most disappointing games the bombers have played since 2015... the offense has been putrid ever since Flanders and Adams went down which proves we significantly lack depth on O... the defense is provong ir cannot get stops when it matters... that being said I don't believe we see a mass firing, no matter how the season ends... I would like to see new coordinators on both sides and some new scouts to help with our lack of depth at receiver and linebacker (imo our two biggest areas of weakness)...

As bad as the team looked yesterday (awful), and really for the last few weeks, I hadn't even remotely considered the prospect. I think this regime has done a fine job actually. By and large, this season has been easily the most fun and entertaining one we have had since we moved into IGF in my opinion. Not only that, until our slew of injuries, I was very much convinced that we had a legitimate shot at making a run for the Cup. The fact that this even entered my mind is a testament to how far along this team has come from when O’ Shea took over a few years back. It certainly felt good to watch the Bombers be consistently competitive this year.

Yes, I agree the depth has obviously been exposed as a weakness, but to even be able to assemble a team of starters that were able to lead us to being easily the number 2 team in the league (pre-injuries) puts this administration leaps and bounds ahead of those of the last several administrations prior. With a good starting line up secured I have no doubt more depth will follow next season via the draft and free agency.

Unfortunately, I also believe we will be one and done in the playoffs at this point, but I chalk that up to terrible luck and bad timing. I don’t think we can fire our front office wholesale even if a one and done scenario does happen.

Richie Hall can go though. You’ll find no argument from me there.

I put no but think I probably agree with some points by the OP

1. I can agree with most that Walters and his scouting team should be able to get good quality backup WRs behind Dressler and Adams for when they go down.  But I don't think they should be fired yet just in a west semifinal exit.

2. I think this offseason we kick Hurl outta here and get a real actual MLB who isn't the lousiest tackler in CFL history.   Walters Dept again, but I believe they can come through on this.

3. There is just one coach on this team who is awful, and we all know who that is with a 21 page thread in his name.  Maybe we interview N Thorpe and make it work with him and usher this Buffoon's speedy departure.

The good news is despite a few Nichols injuries, they aren't as bad as Drew Willy's or Buck Pierce's.  I believe if we fix this defense and get a few more WRs, we surpass CGY and win the west and Grey Cup.  Firing the whole regime though will not accomplish this.  Keep Walters, O'Shea and Lapolice and fire Hall.

12 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Starting to wonder if Nichols makes LaPolice look like a genius and not the other way around. Any QB not named Nichols has been putrid in this offence.

Nope, Lapolice has made bad QBs like Buck Pierce, Joey Elliot and Alex Brink look good, so no I disagree.

He didn't succeed with Willy cuz Bellefeuille had ruined him already, and Willy has been bad everywhere else since too.  Lefevour is also bad as as starter and has been shipped around because of it.  As to D Davis .... I'm having my doubts he's ever going to get it either, but there have been plenty of other QBs besides Nichols that Lapolice has had success with.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

With our depth and the rash of injuries I doubt much would change. No team can survive what we've just been through injury-wise.

Multiple teams have suffered more injuries then the Bombers the problem is timing.  Most teams are starting to get players back while the Bombers are going through what everyone else dealt with earlier.

Anyway, there is no excuse for the terrible backup quarterbacks.